Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #31
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Part of the reason I am such an avid reader today is because my parents had around 8 bookcases full of good, classic, adult books. There was no objection to my reading most of them at a young age (I started really devouring books when I was around 9 or so) because they were "clean", so to speak. There certainly wasn't much, if any, hardcore profanity, and any sexual subjects were handled in a "not in your face" way. When my daughter was younger (she's 18 now), I would have loved to have allowed her the same freedom with my books that I had as a child, but there was no way in hades I could do that with most current books marketed for adults.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but just some food for thought.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #32
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
And as an adjunct to that, how far up our list of priorities should be the avoidance of causing offense to other people?
You can't manage to not offend anyone if you're actually living a life, what with all the professional victims around just looking for some "offense" to go around wailing about or use as an excuse for their own problems.

To US readers: just curious, where in our Constitution is a "right" to never be offended actually mentioned? I ask because that "right" seems to be trumping the First Amendment a lot lately (First Amendment covers such niceties as freedom to speak and to hold and express the religious views of one's choice without the government muzzling you, for non-US readers).
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #33
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
And this possibly brings up another point in this discussion --what may be terribly offensive to one person may not mean much to another, based on culture and personal experience.
As is evident in the "adult" area of engrish.com:

http://adult.engrish.com/

ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #34
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
You can't manage to not offend anyone if you're actually living a life, what with all the professional victims around just looking for some "offense" to go around wailing about or use as an excuse for their own problems.

To US readers: just curious, where in our Constitution is a "right" to never be offended actually mentioned? I ask because that "right" seems to be trumping the First Amendment a lot lately (First Amendment covers such niceties as freedom to speak and to hold and express the religious views of one's choice without the government muzzling you, for non-US readers).
best comment of the thread...to those folks...F**K'em...there are more important things in life and the sooner these sanctimonious sorts get off their cross the sooner we can move forward as a society. But as of now we are sliding off into a police state and in no small part due to those your post describes.

That said, the best way these sorts can solve their problem is to not buy the material or return it after purchase rather than forcing their so-called values on everyone else.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #35
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I 'try' not to swear myself, but I don't care if I read it in books. I certainly have never scanned a book ahead of time & put it back simply because I spotted a swear in it.

I'm not about to start reading ancient books that I'm not interested in, just because I know they were written by people the Puritans would have approved of.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #36
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
best comment of the thread...to those folks...F**K'em...there are more important things in life and the sooner these sanctimonious sorts get off their cross the sooner we can move forward as a society. But as of now we are sliding off into a police state and in no small part due to those your post describes.

That said, the best way these sorts can solve their problem is to not buy the material or return it after purchase rather than forcing their so-called values on everyone else.
Amen!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #37
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As a novelist I try to keep it to a minimum, but I write crime fiction so I also have to be realistic. If a meth addict is in a rage, he's going to use the F word, maybe a few times. If someone pulls a gun on my detective protagonist, he's not going to say or think "Darn."
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #38
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
To US readers: just curious, where in our Constitution is a "right" to never be offended actually mentioned?).
There isn't one. It's just that:
"...'obscene' material has no protection under the First Amendment because freedom of expression does not provide absolute protection for every possible utterance of any sort..." Roth v. United States and Alberts v. California

Which, of course, pushes off the decision to "Who decides what's obscene?" In general, if it's political, artistic, scientific, or private speech, it can't be obscene. Only if it's public, and intended to appeal only to prurient interest can it be obscene. Then some court has to decide the specifics, applying "community standards". Clearer now? Good. :{

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #39
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
As a novelist I try to keep it to a minimum, but I write crime fiction so I also have to be realistic. If a meth addict is in a rage, he's going to use the F word, maybe a few times. If someone pulls a gun on my detective protagonist, he's not going to say or think "Darn."
L.J.
I fall into the "realistic for the character and situation can be dealt with" camp, but I'm sure you've met people IRL who are excessively foul-mouthed beyond what can be justified by who they are and what situation they're in. That's about my cutoff for language. If someone's just casually using obscenities as sentence filler or punctuation, that puts me off big-time (and I'm not into fiction with gangsta thugs as main characters, since I find that lifestyle morally objectionable).

I'm quite sure a writer has already found her way to TV Tropes, but other thread readers might be interested in their discussion of Cluster F Bombs, Precision F Strikes, and related topics.

Profanity does lose a lot of impact on the hearer/reader if overdone, which I think a lot of the types I deal with IRL, especially on public transit (which is why my iPod and noise-blocking earphones are a body part when I'm using transit), would do very well to keep in mind, unless they actually do have such pathetically deficient and limited vocabularies that's what they've got (or want everyone around them to think that's the case).
Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #40
Seanette
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
There isn't one. It's just that:
"...'obscene' material has no protection under the First Amendment because freedom of expression does not provide absolute protection for every possible utterance of any sort..." Roth v. United States and Alberts v. California

Which, of course, pushes off the decision to "Who decides what's obscene?" In general, if it's political, artistic, scientific, or private speech, it can't be obscene. Only if it's public, and intended to appeal only to prurient interest can it be obscene. Then some court has to decide the specifics, applying "community standards". Clearer now? Good. :{

Regards,
Jack Tingle
I'm familiar with the wording myself, but starting to wonder how many "judges" are, what with all the "hate speech" regulations. Sorry, but in a free society, you're going to have to put up with people holding and expressing opinions you don't like. That is, if you're an adult and actually think free speech matters more than your precious widdle ego.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #41
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
And as an adjunct to that, how far up our list of priorities should be the avoidance of causing offense to other people?
Offending other people seems to give some a great deal of pleasure.

But I have to agree, what some find offensive others find joyous.

Take the example of the liberation of Tibet.

Chamdo marks 60th anniversary of liberation

And heaven forbid (pun intended) mentioning religion in front of an atheist! It's like waving a red flag in front of an irritated bull. They literally can't control themselves. They just have to attack. To them the word God is THE most offensive profanity around and they'll go to any length to stamp it out or drive the offender away.

How far can you go with profanity? Does freedom of speech trump all other considerations?

Sure, you can use vulgar and offensive language to a 9 year old boy or girl. That’s just freedom of speech, right?

I'm no stranger to profanity and vulgarity. But I do, at times, try to use tact and judgment. I see no reason to unnecessarily offend most people.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #42
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
As is evident in the "adult" area of engrish.com:

http://adult.engrish.com/

<wiping tears>

And once again the fact that I have the sense of humor of a 12-year-old has me in hysterical giggles here...
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #43
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
And heaven forbid (pun intended) mentioning religion in front of an atheist! It's like waving a red flag in front of an irritated bull. They literally can't control themselves. They just have to attack. To them the word God is THE most offensive profanity around and they'll go to any length to stamp it out or drive the offender away.
I'm [probably] an atheist, and I find God to be a hilarious concept, and would hate to stamp it out or drive it away.
Quote:
How far can you go with profanity? Does freedom of speech trump all other considerations?

Sure, you can use vulgar and offensive language to a 9 year old boy or girl. That’s just freedom of speech, right?
Do you have this compulsion or sense of justification? I see nothing wrong with using "vulgar" language in front of children, but I don't feel compelled to use it, as it's a bit wasted on those who can't appreciate the nuances.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #44
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Quite frankly that's boll***s - the words you are referring to as profanities are as much part of language as the "nice" words.
So what? Every language has words that are considered decent and others that are inappropriate in polite society. If you prefer to lower yourself to the level of society that embraces those words, go for it. I prefer not.

In most societies, foul language is what children use when trying (unsuccessfully) to sound adult (or they desire to shock their listeners) and is used by others whose command of the language is inadequate to fully convey their feelings without resorting to such socially unacceptable terms. Eschewing profanity requires a higher level of creativity and self control than that exhibited by those who do use it.

It's one thing when someone utters a profanity upon hitting a thumb with a hammer. It is quite another when someone uses profanity habitually. The latter demonstrates the person is immature, too ignorant to express her/himself in a more socially acceptable manner or distains social acceptance.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 10-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #45
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Perhaps more familiar to British English profanity users than American English users - here's a clue for anyone else struggling to work it out; when they are possessed by dogs they are considered to be rather good
I'm well read enough to have recognized the word TGS didn't have enough of to actually spell (disregarding the post might have been censored).

Even if I am from the wrong side of the pond.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 10-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote