Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #1036
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
While I'm not interested in providing (much) help for stolen content, I'm also very much aware that some retailers sell broken books. A lot of ePubs I bought from Kobo (when I was still willing to pay them for content) are broken and needed calibre/Sigil love to have things like covers or a TOC. Kobo said they got the books that way from the publishers. I stopped paying Kobo when I realized Amazon and other retailers usually sold me the same books without issues for equal or less money
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #1037
snowstone
Enthusiast
snowstone doesn't littersnowstone doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
While I'm not interested in providing (much) help for stolen content, I'm also very much aware that some retailers sell broken books. A lot of ePubs I bought from Kobo (when I was still willing to pay them for content) are broken and needed calibre/Sigil love to have things like covers or a TOC. Kobo said they got the books that way from the publishers. I stopped paying Kobo when I realized Amazon and other retailers usually sold me the same books without issues for equal or less money
But in case of Amazon, you would have to convert to epub, right?
snowstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #1038
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
The cover and ToC issue is not a Kobo problem but a publisher problem. A lot of publishers use some generic cover and charge us like they are using a real cover. happens with eBooks from Amazon too. I've not really seen a bad ToC that often.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #1039
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@snowstone: Yes, buying from Amazon requires importing to calibre (with the assistance of everyone's favorite Apprentice) and converting to ePub. I just convert directly to KePub since the destination is my Kobo device and no other reader, and I always keep the original .mobi/.azw/.azw3 file.

@JSWolf: I wasn't always so knowledgeable about what's Kobo's problem and what's the publisher's problem Although Kobo especially has no excuse for broken books like that since they pre-process them to add the KePub bits. I can detect when files aren't in the TOC or when a file in the TOC is missing (in fact it was more work to ignore that) so I can't imagine Kobo can't do it. Amazon also likely has no excuse, but I'm not familiar with what preprocessing/detection is done or possible with their formats and I've never bought a bad book from Amazon. Although I did get a book gift which only made a .HTMLZ file available to me (even syncing directly to a Kindle).
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #1040
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Although I did get a book gift which only made a .HTMLZ file available to me (even syncing directly to a Kindle).
Ah what fun. A Topaz file
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #1041
snowstone
Enthusiast

I was wondering, could this extension (or do you know of a diferent extension) that allows me to transfer my collection to my iPad and my Android phone Kobo apps? Either wireless (if possible) or via usb.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #1042
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Nothing I'm aware of works with the Kobo apps on any platform, but if there's anything it'll be with the Android app and books sent there won't sync with the other Kobo apps/readers.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #1043
snowstone
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nothing I'm aware of works with the Kobo apps on any platform, but if there's anything it'll be with the Android app and books sent there won't sync with the other Kobo apps/readers.
I know it won't sync, it's just for convenience because it's the apps I have installed, and basically because of the 7 ebooks I bought in the kobo store. But I'll probably end up installing a different app so I can connect with calibre more easily.

I just wish I could set up a wireless sync with calibre in both iOS and Android, but also with my kobo glo.

I know I'm getting a bit off-topic, can anyone suggest me an Android and an iOS app that plays well with calibre (if it allows for wireless sync the better)?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #1044
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

You're best to go ask in the main calibre forum for that. That's too far off-topic for this I think
Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #1045
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

New version uploaded, look for the calibre update notice soon!

This should ideally be an update that no one even notices anything different. The only change in this update is to be compatible with both the upcoming calibre 2 (using PyQt5) and the current calibre 1.x (using PyQt4). I've tested with both and it seems to be Working Fine For Me(tm), but file bugs on Launchpad if you encounter any issues.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #1046
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, iPhone, iPad, Kobo Aura, Galaxy Tab3 8
Thank you very much, I'm sure checking it at the official release (beta I don't know if I have the last release).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #1047
forster01
Enthusiast
forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.forster01 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, HTC One X
jgoguen, thank you for a great work.
I'm using Kobo Aura HD, 3.3.0 fw version. I attempted to upload a kepub Book on to device using extended driver.
After the transfer with i tried to open a book, and i got "Oops! the document cannot be opened" With adobe digital editions the book is opened normally, and also with Calibre. Sideload same book .epub worked fine.

Any help, please?

Edit: Your plugin kepub output made a good job (worked!)

Last edited by forster01; 07-17-2014 at 07:50 PM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #1048
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Not to sound harsh, but I don't care what Adobe Digital Editions thinks

If it works in calibre though it should be ok. File a bug report for me please, see the first post. Include the debug log of sending the book to your device (the ePub, not the KePub) and include both the ePub and KePub version of the book.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #1049
trinity1
trinity1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trinity1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trinity1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trinity1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstone View Post
I was wondering, could this extension (or do you know of a diferent extension) that allows me to transfer my collection to my iPad and my Android phone Kobo apps? Either wireless (if possible) or via usb.
You could try Calibre Library by Tony Maro onto the Play Store (2.10€)... Don't know if it works well, but it's supposed to do what you are looking at
trinity1 is online now   Reply With Quote