Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Anyone have any experience of NAS devices?

I'm thinking of buying a decent-size NAS box as a longish-term solution to my media storage and backup issues. I see that Buffalo do what seems like a good range of devices.

Anyone have any experience of NAS and how well they work, or recommendations for specific devices? I'm after something with ideally RAID 5 for resiliance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I own a Synology 107+. Works nice.
I like the fact it does dlna, daap and all

An other i've heard about is qnap, but i don't know thier product much.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. The make that seems to be most readily available around here is "Buffalo". I'm looking at a quad-drive Buffalo NAS which seems to offer a good range of options at a decent price.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quad drive Mmm ?

One thing, speed when copying depends a lot on ram and proc on the device. So, if you mean to copy lots of data, be carefull with that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This review is the device I'm considering - probably the 4TB model (3TB in RAID 5 mode). It's certainly a very favourable review.
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Well, I just saw this thread while working on the mobileread contest. If you haven't already bought one...

I'm using the 2TB version of the buffalo NAS. It's okay. Better than the seagate ones for sure! My company was using the seagate for mission critical activities and it died on us! The raid partitions were crapz0red, and we had to break the case to get it open to get the disks out to try recovery.

I was very disappointed with both their performance metrics in a RAID-5 configuration, but that's because I was beating the crap out of it with 250GB transfers of tiny little files.

The firmware isn't bad, though. It's pretty full-featured. I've seriously thought about buying one for home use, but they're still pretty expensive. Overall I'd say the Buffalo isn't a bad buy if you need the disk space and don't want to put a BSD box in the closet.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I have that exact Buffalo NAS at home. In a 3TB RAID-5 setup.

Use it mainly as a mediafiles storage for my PopCorn Hour A-110 and stream movies, music and TV-series from it. Works like a charm.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
As EowynCarter, I have a Synology, but a 207+.
I have two 1 TB disks in RAID1, and I'm pretty happy about it.
It has lots of multimedia functionnalities, among which video and music streaming.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:05 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've now bought the 6TB Buffalo Linkstation Quad NAS (4x1.5TB disks, 4.5TB in RAID 5 mode). Works extremely well - I'm very pleased with it.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Oops, sorry, I hadn't looked at the thread start date before replying to the newest posts.

Nice solution you've got there !
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote