Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
2 question on Paperwhite

1) How deep is the screen compared to the bezel? The Kindle Touch's was way to deep for my liking.

2) Is the Paperwhite still e-ink (or similar) technology?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
e-ink - although it's not listed as that on the spec so don't shoot me over it.
from the looks of it less deep but hard to tell.

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2012 at 05:29 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The depth of the Touch is partly there for the IR beam system that detects your finger. If I read the Paperwhite correctly it does not use IR but rather a capacitive layer. So the bezel-to-screen depth could be shorter. Good and bad since another semi-transparent layer is not known to enhance contrast (see earlier Sony touch readers before they went to IR).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Masa.F
Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
There are already hands-on videos uploaded on Youtube and the screen is flashing as an e-ink screen does, so I think it is the same e-ink we all know and love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Grq0XbX9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a47DoDhePY

My question is whether its screen is newer generation or not since they say it has higher contrast and ppi.
I have to say that it is strange if it really is newer version considering Kobo is still using the same pearl screen for their Kobos which they just announced.

I wonder that Amazon has an exclusive contract to use the new generation of e-ink?
That makes sense that because of a supply issue the Kindle Paperwhite is only available in the USA right now.
Masa.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Not eInk in the sense that the screen is not produced by eInk Corp. But the same opaque construction (from LG, I believe). This might be big punch on eInk Corp's market value.

I was wrong. It is supplied by eInk.
eInk Pearl Active Matrix

PS How do I cross over the text?

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 09-07-2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Checked my facts post post :)
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
noisy
noisy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I know that you asking about deepness of screen, but maybe this comparison will be helpful for some other users:

Last edited by noisy; 09-07-2012 at 04:03 AM.
noisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
[COLOR="Red"]
PS How do I cross over the text?
[-STRIKE-] Text [-/STRIKE-]

If you remove the four dashes from inside the brackets you'll get...

Text
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Another question: Am I correct to assume that one can still side-load books onto these new Kindles the way that we do with the other models (via PC connection)? Must be, but I want to make certain.
Thanks
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Another question: Am I correct to assume that one can still side-load books onto these new Kindles the way that we do with the other models (via PC connection)? Must be, but I want to make certain.
Thanks
Me too.
I use it mostly for DRM-liberated books which I reformat to my taste...
I suppose we'll just have to wait for Kovid Goyal to include it in the new Calibre.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
[-STRIKE-] Text [-/STRIKE-]

If you remove the four dashes from inside the brackets you'll get...

Text
Thanks, right now I'm on tapatalk and can't see it will take a closer look when I have a browser available. Appreciate the help.

But now I'm home and will test if I can strike out text

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 09-08-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: curiousity
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Thanks
I don't see any reason why not.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
1) How deep is the screen compared to the bezel? The Kindle Touch's was way to deep for my liking.

2) Is the Paperwhite still e-ink (or similar) technology?

I can't remember where I read it...either Engadget, Gizmodo or CNET but the screen deepness is 77% less in the new Kindle thanks to the IR layer being removed.

Paperwhite is still e-ink. Amazon has a nice layer diagram on their website showing the e-ink screen, capacitive touch layer and the "fiber optic like" light distribution layer.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I can't remember where I read it...either Engadget, Gizmodo or CNET but the screen deepness is 77% less in the new Kindle thanks to the IR layer being removed.
I'm guessing, but I think 77% less would make it about as deep as the current K4/KK?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa.F View Post
There are already hands-on videos uploaded on Youtube and the screen is flashing as an e-ink screen does, so I think it is the same e-ink we all know and love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Grq0XbX9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a47DoDhePY

My question is whether its screen is newer generation or not since they say it has higher contrast and ppi.
I have to say that it is strange if it really is newer version considering Kobo is still using the same pearl screen for their Kobos which they just announced.

I wonder that Amazon has an exclusive contract to use the new generation of e-ink?
That makes sense that because of a supply issue the Kindle Paperwhite is only available in the USA right now.
The new Kobo device is advertised as "high-res XGA E Ink Pearl". So not sure if that means same pearl screen with a higher res or if it's truly "next gen"
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I'm guessing, but I think 77% less would make it about as deep as the current K4/KK?
I believe that's correct. This was a concern of mine, also, so I searched the internet for some good photos. According to one of the techies at the event who had hands-on experience (and a really good closeup photo he supplied), the PW's bezel is nice and flat, same depth as the K4 and KK. Yay, no more shadows

As for the display, it's definitely e-ink. The screen always looks so white in most of the photos. But what I've been itching to know, is what it looks like without the light on.

Well, I finally found a closeup shot of a side-by-side comparison of the KT and the PW with the light OFF. Much to my surprise, the color/shade of the PW's screen is no different from the Touch. So it's the light that makes it look "white"...which I'm actually grateful for, because it allows me to decide just how white I want it.

Side by side comparison of KT & PW (w/light off)

As you can see, even though the PW's background is the same greyish color as the KT (with the light off), the fonts themselves are definitely improved...noticeably darker and crisper. So even if it had no light, the display is still greatly improved over the KT.

Last edited by Vmurph; 09-07-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote