Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Reading The Lord of the Rings after watching the extended version of the movie

I just watched the extended version of the LOTR and liked it a lot better than the theatrical release.
I would like to get some opinions on whether if the series would still offer a good reading experience or not after watching the movie, especially comparing to the extended edition from those who've seen it.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-24-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: shortened urls
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I read LOTR once per year or two from my teenage years onward. Then the films came out. So exciting. So excellent. Until LOTR overdose set in. Part of the problem, for me, is that films really are so well done. They became an unintentional substitute for the books.

To answer your question, I needed some distance from the films before I could enjoy the books again. For the rest of my life, I'll probably read the books every several years and re-watch the films afterward.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
I just watched the extended version of the LOTR and liked it a lot better than the theatrical release.
I would like to get some opinions on whether if the series would still offer a good reading experience or not after watching the movie, especially comparing to the extended edition from those who've seen it.
I haven't seen the extended version. There are some significant characters and events that are different in the books. I'm not quite sure why they were changed in the films.

I certainly think it's worth-while reading the books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Definitely read the books. I've got the books, the theatre version of the movies and the extended version of the movies (great in Blu-Ray). IMPO, by midway in the Two Towers, the movies were essentially different stories than the books. Major changes in various characters, plus some big plot twists.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I vote for reading the books as well. They're very rich, and worth the investment of time.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I also read the books every couple of years or so. I don't think I'll ever bother seeing the films again. I think the films are only loosely based on the books.

They have the same title of course, and most of the characters have the same names. But the events are often different and the characters are often quite different.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
I love the books. I also love the films but so many of the changes in the film just seemed to me to be bizarre. Arwen with a sword? Gandalf chatting to a moth?? Elves at Helms Deep??? The dead breaking the seige on Minas Tirith???? On the other hand, a brilliant balrog, even more brilliant Gollum, excellent Uruk-hai and wargs and wraiths. I treat the films as an interpretation of the books and as first-class fantasy films.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
The books are to the extended edition films what the extended editions were to the theatrical release, except amped up an order of magnitude. The level of detail and backstory in the books are what really create the world.
I thought the movies were very well done, but they had to leave a lot out or else they would have all been six hours long.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
seems to be worthwhile to read, so I'll read them. thank you for sharing your thoughts!
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I view the films and books as being totally separate entities; just sharing some elements.

Both can be enjoyed by themselves.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
First I saw the movies and than I read all books.

I am now talking about my own personal experience, no offense to LOTR fans.
The movies are action packed and colorful, which I enjoyed watching. However the books didn't left much of an impression to me. I was a bit disappointed, because due to the hype I assumed it would be a grand masterpiece. But in the end it didn't caught the fire.

(No troll mails, please. this is just the way I feel about it)
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #12
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Personally, I liked the movies compared to the books (I read the novels first).

But they're also different, especially when it comes to the ending (or in the first movie, Arwen), so definitely worth a read. There are also parts where the characterization is a bit different. Aragorn, for example, initially gives the impression that he is villainous in the books.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
First I saw the movies and than I read all books.

I am now talking about my own personal experience, no offense to LOTR fans.
The movies are action packed and colorful, which I enjoyed watching. However the books didn't left much of an impression to me. I was a bit disappointed, because due to the hype I assumed it would be a grand masterpiece. But in the end it didn't caught the fire.

(No troll mails, please. this is just the way I feel about it)
I can understand that. The movies, quite naturally spent long periods of time with fight scenes that might have taken a page in the book. The books are a bit of a throw back to an earlier era.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i like the novels in theory. in reality i find them to be overwrought sleeping pills, tom bombadil alone induced many a douche chill.

i'm burnt out on the movies but if i'm in the mood for some LotR, i'd reach for them first.

it might be heresy for a fantasy fan to say but deep down i think the whole lot is massively overrated.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I read and re-read books after watching films first. I liked them both. Although the first film gave me impression "walk walk walk fight fight fight walk walk walk fight fight fight etc". Some scenes were changed for the benefit of the film and frankly first book could do without the Tom whats-his-name episode (not in the film either, it didn't add to the story anyway)
Anyway my point is, for the books I really like I avoid films. I prefer my own imagination therefore I will never watch any Harry Potter films. Film imagery would force itself on what I "created" in my head while reading.

Quote:
it might be heresy for a fantasy fan to say but deep down i think the whole lot is massively overrated.
"Adding insult to injury" I'd say it is male teenagers level (don't kill me)

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 12-26-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote