Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Wnen will Barnes and Nobles go out of business?
Within 1 year 6 5.08%
1 to 5 years 18 15.25%
5 to 10 years 13 11.02%
10 to 20 years 11 9.32%
Never 70 59.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #31
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzykinz View Post

So until Amazon can find a way to attach a horrible coffee shop to themselves somehow... BN has a great advantage.
Amazon has become the #1 without anyones assistance.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #32
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Amazon has become the #1 without anyones assistance.
Yes, but my point remains, I can't sit in Amazon and flaunt my superiority over some overpriced, bad coffee.

Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #33
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzykinz View Post
Yes, but my point remains, I can't sit in Amazon and flaunt my superiority over some overpriced, bad coffee.
Pour yourself a cup and do it here on MR. That seems to be all the rage these days.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #34
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Pour yourself a cup and do it here on MR. That seems to be all the rage these days.
Well played, sir.
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #35
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Barnes and Noble would need to expand beyond the United States of America to get my full attention. Until they do, I'm not especially keen on their Nook.
That being said, I have little idea of how long they'll stay in business - but I'd suggest they might last longer if they opened up shop overseas. Their spin-off company, GameStop, did - why can't B&N?

Last edited by AprilHare; 12-11-2009 at 07:55 AM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #36
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
wow! haven't heard that name in years! I don't think it exists here anymore
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #37
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
My guess is within 5 years.
Looks like it will be sooner than 5 yrs with the news B&N is on the chopping block. I always knew B&N days were numbered...just like Blockbuster and Tower Records et al.

They are an analog in a digital world.

The nook will probably be lost in the shuffle or killed by the new owners.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #38
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I don't think going out of business is the same as considering a sale.

B&N are looking for new owners, they're not filing for bankruptcy. (And even that wouldn't necessarily mean going out of business.)
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #39
dharh
dharh began at the beginning.

Device: nook,ipad,netbook
Quote:
Looks like it will be sooner than 5 yrs with the news B&N is on the chopping block. I always knew B&N days were numbered...just like Blockbuster and Tower Records et al.

The nook will probably be lost in the shuffle or killed by the new owners.
Why would it be? If new owners were _stupid freaking morons_, maybe, but then they would shrink to the size of a chain of mom & pop used book store. The recent announcement is nothing more than investor garbage. My hope is that the original founder dude buys back the company, privatizes it, and then does the real work of finally shifting the company over to primarily digital sales.

Amazon may always be number one, but it will never have me until they move over to e-pub.
dharh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #40
6502programmer
6502programmer began at the beginning.

Device: nook
This is all about maximizing shareholder return, and it will always work out better in the short term to allow someone else to assume the risk (as in, take the company private, and let the new owner shoulder the risk). Would you rather have ten dollars today or a fifty percent chance at thirty dollars in two years? From a finance perspective, the risk-reward ratio comes out in favor of waiting. The problem is quantifying odds and value in the real world, which is why they're conducting the exercise.

As far as killing off the nook, that's the brightest, shiniest star of the company. That's not going anywhere.
6502programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #41
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
That is B&N's big problem. Their digital infrastructure needs a complete overhaul - starting with their web site and business model.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #42
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6502programmer View Post
This is all about maximizing shareholder return, and it will always work out better in the short term to allow someone else to assume the risk (as in, take the company private, and let the new owner shoulder the risk). Would you rather have ten dollars today or a fifty percent chance at thirty dollars in two years? From a finance perspective, the risk-reward ratio comes out in favor of waiting. The problem is quantifying odds and value in the real world, which is why they're conducting the exercise.

As far as killing off the nook, that's the brightest, shiniest star of the company. That's not going anywhere.
Duh! The board of directors doesn't like where B&N is heading. That means that it is *quite* likely they'll cut off their noses to spite their faces by selling or killing off the Nook.

definition:

Board of Directors: That body of idjits who delight in doing everything possible to ruin the company they 'direct'.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #43
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajoe96 View Post
They are not going out of business anytime soon. Come on, this is not serious topic. While more and more books are being digitized, most people do not want to give up on owning a physical copy, they can hold, share, keep, display, collect or sell. Then there are those who do not shop on the internet or want something right now and not wait for the time it takes to ship. And while that might not make up the people on this group, it is a large segment of the population.
I agree with this. On this forum it sure seems like everyone wants only digital books, but I don't think it holds true with most people out there. My main purpose of buying an ereader is to check out library books, and dowload as many free books as possible. If I see a super cheap digital ebook that interests me, then I'll probably buy it. Otherwise, if I need to buy a book it's going to be a p-book not digital. I love p-books, and I suspect that a lot of people are like me. I have no plans to be totally digital or totally paper.

I don't see B&N going out of business any time soon. Every time I go to there store(2 different locations) they're always busy.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #44
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
What Barnes and Nobles is facing is common to all the other brick and mortar retail stores. They are being squeezed out by their internet competitors who, without the cost overhead of a real store, can offer the same goods at a much discounted price. Customers flock to whoever that can give them the bang for the buck and retail stores for a lot of them is just a place to try out their internet pre-order.

Foot traffic in Barnes and Nobles as well as Borders is still very good but a lot of people just go there to browse their favorite books, relax and enjoy the library like ambience; however, they order their books somewhere else on the internet, and probably through Amazon. Besides the onslaught of the internet, the emergence of ebooks just adds another dimension to the picture. Amazon’s ambition to change the world of publishing from 100% paper to 99% electronic will soon be a reality and in order to survive, B&N and the like are struggling to adapt to the new operation model. To divert cash to invest in the ebook business, they have to shred more brick and mortar stores. They have a good chance to stay in business; however, what remains of B&N in the future is no more the friendly neighborhood bookstore that we have grown to love so much today.

Besides our local bookstores, we are also losing our public libraries too. It is a good thing that the public libraries are stocking up on ebooks but at the same time, they are eliminating branches, cutting staff and reducing office hours. The electronic age has given us independence, convenience and efficiency at our own home but it has somehow stifled some considered to be very special personalized experience. There will be losses and gains in this new era but at the end, we’ll get exactly what we are bargaining for.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #45
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
To the guy who opened this thread -
This is all total bullshit, sorry, but I must say - if you state something, you NEED to apply a valid argument, otherwise your words mean absolutely nothing.
If you say something, you must always tell why you think so. You can't go around just saying: ''there's gonna be the end of the world in five days'' or ''the white house is going to be bombarded tomorrow'' or what ever, if you say something, always give a reason.
I suggest to close this thread, because the person who opened it, clearly just hates B&N and can't think of a proper way to asperse them.
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n