Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
K3 noob II: leap from current spot to browser and back

I know my way around my two-hour old K3 already, but I want to know the absolute fastest way of marking my current spot in a book, leaping to the experimental browser (I'm thinking of when you want to quickly wiki an historical situation in an historical novel you're reading) and then jumping back.

Like last time, keyboard shortcuts are good!

Thanks!
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
alpine
alpine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have the same problem. It was easy on my Iriver.

Email kindle-feedback@amazon.com and ask them to add a 'last book read' to the top menu. I did this a couple of days ago, the more who ask, the better the chance they do it.
alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine View Post
I have the same problem. It was easy on my Iriver.

Email kindle-feedback@amazon.com and ask them to add a 'last book read' to the top menu. I did this a couple of days ago, the more who ask, the better the chance they do it.
Darn. Does that mean you bookmark where you are in a book, go to the browser, and then back to the bookmark?

(I will also put in the request.)
Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
You don't have to bookmark your current position, it should remember automatically.

I agree, though, that a quick way to the browser and back would be a nice feature.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
There IS a way to do it fast !

From your current page in a book do the following:

Home \ Menu \ Experimental \ Browser \ Back \ Back \ Back \ Back.

Those Back moves are VERY FAST !

If you are using Bibles, use Direct Verse Jump to go even FASTER.

What we probably need is some sort of macro keys to make it even faster just like DVJ is now.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-15-2010 at 04:39 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
readslow
readslow has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readslow has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readslow has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readslow has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I would also like a way to flip through the bookmarks within a book. For example, I may bookmark a character description or an important point. Moving from a point further in a book back to a previous bookmark and then back to where you were reading is very cumbersome. If I'm not aware of way to do this, then I stand corrected but would appreciate the steps to do so.
readslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
The back button on the Kindle is very handy indeed.

You can also type @web from the home page on the Kindle to bring up google - I find this quicker to be honest.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Also fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by readslow View Post
I would also like a way to flip through the bookmarks within a book. For example, I may bookmark a character description or an important point. Moving from a point further in a book back to a previous bookmark and then back to where you were reading is very cumbersome. If I'm not aware of way to do this, then I stand corrected but would appreciate the steps to do so.
Hit menu inside the book. Then go to "View My Notes & Marks." They are all there and one can page to any of them.

Again, use the Back button to return to any place you've been.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
bmacaskill
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

If you are using Bibles, use Direct Verse Jump to go even FASTER.

What we probably need is some sort of macro keys to make it even faster just like DVJ is now.
Now that, sir, is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
bmacaskill
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hit menu inside the book. Then go to "View My Notes & Marks." They are all there and one can page to any of them.

Also a good tip. To think I'd have had to stumble upon these myself.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
Bad Astronaut
Bad Astronaut began at the beginning.

Quote:

Instead of opening the browser that way, just go Home, then type what you want to search for and press 'right' a few times to select wikipedia (or google) and go directly to a search. You will go straight to the page you want, plus you then only have to click back twice to get back to your book.
Bad Astronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
readslow
readslow has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readslow has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readslow has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readslow has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:

Thanks, I was hoping there was a better way to do this.
readslow is offline   Reply With Quote