Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Palma (and Kant) phone-style Eink

It seems like we need a thread just for the new phone-style Onyx models.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:32 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Oh no - Kant is a Poke 5 in the Palma Case, nor can it be bought because there is no price.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Oh no - Kant is a Poke 5 in the Palma Case, nor can it be bought because there is no price.
The Poke 5 and Kant have different aspect ratios. Are they chopping off pixels?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The Poke 5 and Kant have different aspect ratios. Are they chopping off pixels?
I assume this is configurable in the firmware settings
Old 08-21-2023, 01:27 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh no - Kant is a Poke 5 in the Palma Case...
Why do you say that?
I find it heartening that the Palma has a GPU SORRY, I meant a BRS.
Maybe Onyx is main-streaming their tech from the Mira?
We just got a new 6.0", but I think that we need a new one.
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I assume this is configurable in the firmware settings
What about the button difference?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Quote:
Why Mobile ePaper?

It all began with a concept: to offer an alternative lifestyle uninterrupted by notifications, phone calls, or text messages. Our aim is to design the most compact ePaper device as your haven of peace and tranquility, to let you get away from distractions and focus on how to live and think better.
Sorry, but that's all rubbish. Sure the Reader won't have these phone things, but the phone we have with us will and when we get a call or hear certain sounds, we'll pick up the phone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:16 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I wanted a phone sized Reader, I'd use my phone instead.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Why do you say that?
Because Kant does not exist as an internal product and it was immediately removed from the shops.
It includes the Poke 5 specs (excluding the body, screen and battery) which differ widely from the Palma - 2 vs 6 GB Ram, 16 vs 128 GB storage, 4 vs 8 cores, standard vs Super Refresh Technology.
And the price visible for only a few hours was $10 less than that of Palma
Old 08-21-2023, 02:57 PM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the sun? And that's why my phone has a 3 inch screen - just so I don't use it
I managed to buy a Palma and always have it with me - it replaced my InkPam 5

Last edited by ottischwenk; 08-21-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:43 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In the sun? And that's why my phone has a 3 inch screen - just so I don't use it
I managed to buy a Palma and always have it with me - it replaced my InkPam 5
If there was too much sunlight, I'd listen to an audiobook.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #12
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
I managed to buy a Palma and always have it with me ...
Aw, so be a sport, get a hammer and a screwdriver and open it up so we can see what's inside.
Old 08-22-2023, 12:42 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Aw, so be a sport, get a hammer and a screwdriver and open it up so we can see what's inside.
I'd rather get the photos from here
Old 08-22-2023, 06:22 AM   #14
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why choose? I use my Hisense A9 as my main phone. Fantastic for reading in the park or on the go.

I hope Onyx releases a phone version of the Palma. I'd buy it instantly.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 07:13 AM   #15
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
I'd rather get the photos from here
Thanks! That's quite a lot of chip area on both sides. If they can fit it in a phone maybe we'll be seeing it more in the small ereaders. OTOH, such heavy duty two sided construction must have some sort of price premium for design, manufacturing and yield.

Funny, I noticed two capacitors not soldered correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skew.png
Views:	93
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	203261