Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Thumbs down DR1000 firmware update with ADE rescheduled to end of Q1/2010

Here it's "official" from IRex. (link found in the irex-forum)

"*Adobe PDF and EPUB support will be available via firmware update for all owners of a DR1000S (End Q1 2010)." to be found in the middle of the page.

It would be nice to hear a more official statement from Irex about the delay.

It's a shame, what they do with their customers. Would they could do wrong - they will do it.

Last edited by ThR; 01-10-2010 at 05:25 AM.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
But then again, how credible is this. Not the first time they have given a date yet they seem incapable of either letting us know progress or hitting a date. I will believe it when I see it.

No mention of power management for avery long time either!
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
So that means the 800 could arrive at the end of the month (this month ir next month) minus annotation and they expect annotation support will be added by the end of Q1 more likely Q3.

If I where a 1000S owner I would be hope that the 800 is released as soon as possible so that the firmware for the 2 devices can be synced.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
They should have said by the end Q12010 or later. That would save them a lot of trouble when its not released by the end Q12010. Or maybe they could say it was a typo and they meant Q12011
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
These things are not uncommon. Bookeen kept people waiting a year for their latest firmware update.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
These things are not uncommon. Bookeen kept people waiting a year for their latest firmware update.
Exactly. Delays in software development happen all the time. Some people keep acting like iRex are the only ones to do this. I'd be more surprised if a company announced a firmware date, and then actually met it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Thing is, that does not make it good practice and does not mean that they should assume their customers will give them the benefit of the doubt and buy their product next time!

Personally I think it is pretty shambolic. I can accept that dates are missed but not accept that updates on progress are not regularly posted. iRex new that they would not be releasing the firmware on time and probably new for weeks before they missed the deadline.
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Antonieb
Antonieb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Well it's all pretty easy I for one will NEVER EVER AGAIN buy myself an Bookeen OR Irex product due to this total ignorance on their part

In the end they will lose lots of sales because of this and will learn the hard way
Antonieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's your decision, of course. What Bookeen came out with in the end was an excellent firmware implementation that was (for me, at least) worth waiting for. You, of course, must make your own choice in the matter.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Irex makes a couple of mistakes that set them up for failure in their customers eyes. They release products that have an incomplete feature set that they acknowledge by then giving a roadmap of updates which they fail to meet. All of this just causes frustration.

They would probably be perceived more positively if they just released their products with a commitment for further updates, but give no specifics or timelines. Very similar to what Amazon does with the Kindle. Essentially, yes we will evolve it based on customer feedback but we make no commitment to what the future feature set will be or when we will deliver it.

Many folks have bought irex products based on time and feature set commitments from the company which they don't follow though on and that leads to the frustration. Others have simply bought the product based on what it currently does and are happy if enhancements come. Experiences at opposite ends of the spectrum depending on what your starting point was.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If there's one thing I've learned with any electronic device, it's "buy it on the basis of what it does now, not on what's promised for the future". If it does more in the future, that's a bonus.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
my biggest problem with irex is that they lied on their site when i bought the product(s) - in case of DR1000 they clearly said that the device has a battery life which is far longer than what it actually was and even 2 years later they still cannot deliver. this is very different from a promised future feature. in case of iliad they sold a device that they had stopped developing for but did not say so. to me this is cheating and i dont see why or how i could condone it. the words i have used are strong but they do reflect the actions of irex.

i have two sony readers and they arent perfect too but they do pretty much everything that sony promised they do so while i can wish for improvements, i cant hold it against them. not the case with irex.

most devices i buy when they are just hot off the press and never have i experienced such lousy performance and attitude. and for whatever it is worth i am involved with software development and just dont accept that delays of this magnitude always happen.

i can certainly live with this much money down the drain but that doesnt mean i have to take it quietly ;-)
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonieb View Post
Well it's all pretty easy I for one will NEVER EVER AGAIN buy myself an Bookeen OR Irex product due to this total ignorance on their part

In the end they will lose lots of sales because of this and will learn the hard way
Yeah yeah we all know your opinion about IRex.

The products from IRex are of high quality only the software sometimes has some minor bugs.

But after I used a Sony Reader 500 for some time I know how good Irexs' firmwares actually are.

Get real ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If there's one thing I've learned with any electronic device, it's "buy it on the basis of what it does now, not on what's promised for the future". If it does more in the future, that's a bonus.
A very good policy and one which we should all live by.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
So that means the 800 could arrive at the end of the month (this month ir next month) minus annotation and they expect annotation support will be added by the end of Q1 more likely Q3.

If I where a 1000S owner I would be hope that the 800 is released as soon as possible so that the firmware for the 2 devices can be synced.
I got an e-mail from Irex saying end of January for the 800. Doesn't mean it will happen of course.
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote