Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Otto Penzler: The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries

As has been discussed in the Maltese Falcon thread, I very much enjoyed the anthology of Black Mask Magazine short stories edited by Otto Penzler called The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories.

Penzler previously edited The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps, and afterward did The Big Book of Adventure Stories.

I learned today that his latest will be released October 22, and will be called The Big Book of Christmas Stories. US pre-order price is $18.16.

No telling how many Decembers I will need to read the 672 pages, but I'll be sure to get it before Thanksgiving.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Myst...SIN=0345802985
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Also available from Amazon UK, so I've added it to my wish list. Hopefully the price will drop to something a little more reasonable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-My...tmas+Mysteries
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Micki, as I recall Penzler's Black Mask collection went down to $16.99 for a while here in the US.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I thought I might bump this thread to remind all who are interested in such things as Christmastime mysteries of the existence of this book.

I looked for, and found, my copy the other day.

I begin to celebrate the Advent/pre-Christmas season each year the day after the Grey Cup game, which this year will be played Nov. 29. The rest of America usually calls the day after the Grey Cup game Cyber Monday!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Available at Kobo India for RS 169 (approx. $2.55 USD)....
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Available at Kobo India for RS 169 (approx. $2.55 USD)....
KOBO2015 knocks off another RS 50....

And, thanks!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for reminding me of this, issy. That's a great price.

Penzler's books are huge tomes of entertainment.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-21-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I have a number of them and they're always enjoyable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I must have travelled incorrectly. Everything looks ok but when I hit the complete purchase button, it gives me "oops, something went wrong". Using my Visa debit, is that problematic when wandering in foreign lands?
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you have not notified your bank that you're in a different country, and you have no habit of making purchases from that country, your bank is likely to block the payment as a potentially fraudulent transaction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Ah, that must be it. I do not see a PayPal option either on this journey. Does anybody know if there are other payment methods that are travel safe and do not require filing an itinerary with my bank or CC company first? Because being a Sagittarius, I am liable to go places at the drop of a hat ... or a book. ;-)
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
I did run into issues with my bank when I first started shopping in India, then they required that I use Verified by Visa and everything went smoothly with the transactions thereafter. Though they continued to send me suspicious activity alerts via email for the longest time...

In other countries, I've noticed they've (Kobo) become more fussy about the postcode matching the district/county, etc.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I thought I might bump this thread to remind all who are interested in such things as Christmastime mysteries of the existence of this book.

I looked for, and found, my copy the other day.

I begin to celebrate the Advent/pre-Christmas season each year the day after the Grey Cup game, which this year will be played Nov. 29. The rest of America usually calls the day after the Grey Cup game Cyber Monday!
How about that Redblacks play to get into the Grey Cup? I know what I'll be watching this Sunday.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
How about that Redblacks play to get into the Grey Cup? I know what I'll be watching this Sunday.
bf, I live across the street from a number of sports bars, and I haven't yet decided which one I'll choose to watch the game. I think I'll first determine each bar's list of Canadian beers!