Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Lego PRS500 Charging Cradle

Because I'm a little crazy for the Lego, and because I had already built one for my cell phone, I decided to build myself a cradle for my 500 Reader out of Lego bricks and the original charging cable. It's specifically designed to fit the Reader with the original cover, since that's what I use.

I've included some (shoddy) pics of the cradle, along with the file from LDraw (a Lego CAD program). I had wanted to include the step-by-step instructions like Lego does, but I got sick of fighting with the program to make it create them, so I gave up on that.

If anyone's interested, I'd estimate the cost of bricks to be about $30 or so. Some of the bricks weren't available from www.lego.com, so I got a lot of them from www.bricklink.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	11195   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	11196   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	11197   Click image for larger version

Name:	withreader.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	11198  
Attached Files
File Type: zip reader cradle.zip (1.5 KB, 375 views)
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Now that is cool
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Now that is excellent!

I've an idea for your next project though. Design one that looks like an an Atari 2600 or Nintendo 64. Okay, if you want you can build one that looks like a PS3 on its side too.

Also, how about one that looks like a toaster (it's the "his and hers" model).

Being serious (but I sort-of was ), I love the effort. Good one.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So how do you know when it is charged since there is no light visible to tell you without removing it from the cradle?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Look at this for a working mac powerbook built from lego:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3034177.stm
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This is awesome! I love it!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how do you know when it is charged since there is no light visible to tell you without removing it from the cradle?
Infrared goggles.

Actually, it's the one little drawback to the system I couldn't solve. I didn't want to have to remove the cover, or fold it all the way back, while in the cradle. I usually just throw it on overnight when it's low and by morning it's done.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
It's not April 1st, yet!!!!!
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
30 bucks for the bricks?
Are they made of platinum ?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Nogg
Literate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
30 bucks for the bricks?
Are they made of platinum ?
It's an estimate because I bought extras for other projects, but you'd be surprised at how quickly each little brick adds up. I also ordered as many bricks from Lego as I could, just to support them, and those are typically a little more spendy than ones from bricklink.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Way cool.

I made a stand for my Fujitsu Point ages ago, and should still have one for a CD-RW drive somewhere.

Will definitely have to look into making one for my Sony.

Thanks!

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote