Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Riffy
Riffy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Thumbs down Can it read comic books & PDF Questions please?

Is it able to view the images from inside a compressed format like zip or rar, I was hoping this would be able to work like the cbr (comic book reader) program out there. I could really see myself loving this thing if it was able too.

Also a major thing, I want to get this for my rpg books I own as PDF files, will it work or is this overall a bad idea? Since most the books have images and a lot of text in them and I am not sure if an ereader maybe just a bad idea over all to replace all the books with?
Riffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
I cant answer your questions since i do not have the prs-600 yet, but what i do to get a feeling of how it might look is i resize the pdf-viewer to a 800x600 window.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I believe that the program calibre automatically converts cbz/cbr files (which as you said are just images in a zip/rar) before transmitting them. So far I have attempted two comics on my 600. One was the manga Soul Eater, which is completely readable. The other was a graphic novel that had been scanned in and the text was nearly impossible to read. The manga certainly had an advantage because all text was typed in post scan (by the translator), whereas the graphic novel took a hit during the scanning process. I plan on running the graphic novel through some short of sharpening filter and giving it another shot this weekend.

All that being said, both of those items were natively printed in a format smaller than typical US comic books, which I have no experience viewing on my device. I would certainly try what schmolch said (keeping in mind that you can also use landscape mode which will show you half of the page at a time at the 800x600 resolution). You might even want to go one step further and convert the pages to gray scale if they are in color, since that can have a large impact on readability.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Riffy
Riffy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Well I bought a 600 last night from best buy to try and see if it works, but I must admit I was so impressed with how it looks and everything about this ebook and so on.

But I will be returning it today because it seems what I want is just not there yet. My pdf files are unreadable and I know its not the readers fault. These are gaming books which use a much larger page size then a normal book and to zoom and pan is simply to much of a pain in the butt. Maybe with a bigger screen or something it may work out better, the landscape mode helped some but not enough.

Now as for manga and such it did work out better once I did some messing around but it still let me down hard. At first the images were 100% unreadable, but then I cracked open photo shop and resized files and tried all diffrent sizes till I found that its best at 800x600, I know its not an even change on the size but trust me it made it easier to read. Not 100% but like 85% better. As said above the ones that are edited after the fact are easier to read then a direct copy of it which has the type very faded and to small even at the right size. I must admit after looking at some photos on it the detail from only the gray colors was very impressive honestly.

Now it is still a very good reader so don't misunderstand what I'm saying, it just doesn't do what I'm looking for is all, I was really looking for a replacement for having a backpack full of books is all.
Riffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffy View Post
Well I bought a 600 last night from best buy to try and see if it works, but I must admit I was so impressed with how it looks and everything about this ebook and so on.

But I will be returning it today because it seems what I want is just not there yet. My pdf files are unreadable and I know its not the readers fault. These are gaming books which use a much larger page size then a normal book and to zoom and pan is simply to much of a pain in the butt. Maybe with a bigger screen or something it may work out better, the landscape mode helped some but not enough.

Now as for manga and such it did work out better once I did some messing around but it still let me down hard. At first the images were 100% unreadable, but then I cracked open photo shop and resized files and tried all diffrent sizes till I found that its best at 800x600, I know its not an even change on the size but trust me it made it easier to read. Not 100% but like 85% better. As said above the ones that are edited after the fact are easier to read then a direct copy of it which has the type very faded and to small even at the right size. I must admit after looking at some photos on it the detail from only the gray colors was very impressive honestly.

Now it is still a very good reader so don't misunderstand what I'm saying, it just doesn't do what I'm looking for is all, I was really looking for a replacement for having a backpack full of books is all.
Caliber will take the manga scans, resize them, trim them and sharpen them.
just throw in a volume either cbr. or cbz. and format in LRF for smaller size faster loading. . .
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although i really don't know how it looks on a PRS-300. I'd love for someone to do a comparison that's my current dilemma
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Why is there a thumbs down icon on this thread when the OP was just posing a question?

It makes the intent of this thread questionable.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote