Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
Question Kindle 3 GPS capabilities?

I'm new to the whole Kindle experience so forgive me if this question is a stupid one.

I've been searching the net for various Kindle stuff and found that some of the older verisons allowed for GPS navigation (albeit limited), I was curious if anyone has discovered anything about the K3 yet?

Also does the K3 use GSM or CDMA?
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphphotography View Post
I've been searching the net for various Kindle stuff and found that some of the older verisons allowed for GPS navigation (albeit limited)
It wasn't a GPS. It did location based on triangulation from the various cell towers nearby from what I gather. It was only on the original K1 anyway.

Quote:
I was curious if anyone has discovered anything about the K3 yet?
There isn't anything stopping somebody from making a cell triangulation system for the K3. There are cell tower databases online now which you can access for free. It just needs somebody to have the KDK and for Amazon to allow access to the GSM modem information which I'm not sure they allow.

Quote:
Also does the K3 use GSM or CDMA?
Everything since the K2i uses GSM as Amazon can sell it it internationally unlike CDMA which is mainly restricted to the US.

Last edited by Tiersten; 09-23-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
Thanks for clearing that up, I couldn't seem to find any info on the web because any search contain both GPS and Kindle turned up articles on either the K1 or K2 only.

I was pretty sure it was GSM but wasn't entirely sure.

It would be really cool of Amazon if they added a feature like that again, it never hurts to have more features than the competition
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
It would be really cool of Amazon if they added a feature like that again, it never hurts to have more features than the competition
The KDK conditions don't explicitly forbid this from happening. Assuming that people aren't going to hammer it and use it all the time, it should be possible to make it as a free Kindle application that doesn't require purchase. The KDK limits free applications to a small amount of download a month as they need to cover costs.

Doing it via WiFi should also be possible because of services that Google and Skyhook Wireless run to look up a WiFi AP BSSID and give a location.

That said, I've no idea if the KDK actually lets you access this information. If it doesn't then it will have to be a hack or something Amazon does themselves.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
JBPK33
JBPK33 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Considering a Kindle 3. Are there any third party apps for this? Can you add .apx files?
JBPK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Amazon released a beta version of a Kindle Development Kit a while ago.
But so far, only three apps appeared on the Amazon website.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Talking Kindle uses EVDO!

Kindle 3 uses EVDO not GSM or GPRS also it has a basic GPS function which by pressing keys shos your location in a browser in Google Maps
MuzzaHukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Acorn
Connoisseur
Acorn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
If you can't get the GSM info through the KDK you could get it directly from the log file that the kindle generates.
Acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
MuzzaHukka: Which keys do you press to get your (albeit approximate) location on Google Maps using K3G? So far I thought that this feature was dropped off K3 (it was certainly available on K1 and K2)

Last edited by janvanmaar; 12-13-2010 at 03:53 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzaHukka View Post
Kindle 3 uses EVDO not GSM or GPRS also it has a basic GPS function which by pressing keys shos your location in a browser in Google Maps
Not sure what Kindle 3 you have but every other Kindle 3 with 3G on the planet is GSM so no, it doesn't and can't use EVDO as that is CDMA based.