Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Insert Blank Lines Between Paragraphs

Hi Kovid,

I know that one of the options in Calibre for converting files to lrf is "insert blank lines between paragraphs", which I love.

However, I don't see the same/similar thing for converting files to epub. I see "remove spacing between paragraphs", which is usually antithetical to what I want to do. My brain wants to wrap itself around an isolated paragraph, for some perverted need for clarity.

So...is there any way to get Calibre to insert blank lines between paragraphs in a conversion to epub, and if not, could this be a feature request for a future version of Calibre?

Thanks!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
So...is there any way to get Calibre to insert blank lines between paragraphs in a conversion to epub, and if not, could this be a feature request for a future version of Calibre?
You can use some override CSS to achieve that. From the command-line --override-css='p { margin-top: 1.2em; }' should be about right, or using the GUI just put the same CSS (inside the single quotes) in the appropriate field.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi Kovid,

I know that one of the options in Calibre for converting files to lrf is "insert blank lines between paragraphs", which I love.

However, I don't see the same/similar thing for converting files to epub. I see "remove spacing between paragraphs", which is usually antithetical to what I want to do. My brain wants to wrap itself around an isolated paragraph, for some perverted need for clarity.

Thanks!
You can edit the CSS of the created ePub and add in the spacing you want. Then just zip the CSS file back into the ePub and go from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, guys!

But since I'm a lazy bum, is there a way that Kovid could code this into Calibre as an option, without ripping the "pythons" out of his head?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Hi Kovid,

Where is that option? [Actually I hate the blank lines and I would like to turn it off]
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
You can use some override CSS to achieve that. From the command-line --override-css='p { margin-top: 1.2em; }' should be about right, or using the GUI just put the same CSS (inside the single quotes) in the appropriate field.
Hmmm...having some issues

In the GUI epub css overide box under "Look and Feel" in Calibre, I put this:

p {
margin-top: 1.2em
}

It appears to convert ok, but when I look at the output on my PRS-505 nothing is changed; the paragraphs are still not separated. Any ideas what I might be doing incorrectly?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hmmm...having some issues

In the GUI epub css overide box under "Look and Feel" in Calibre, I put this:

p {
margin-top: 1.2em
}

It appears to convert ok, but when I look at the output on my PRS-505 nothing is changed; the paragraphs are still not separated. Any ideas what I might be doing incorrectly?

Thanks!
Try a margin-bottom: 1.2em
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try a margin-bottom: 1.2em
No joy

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's a lit file that is being converted over by Calibre.

What I've done in the meantime is convert the lit over to plain text, add the paragraph spacing in Interparse4, suck the output back into Calibre and then convert that to epub.

There must be some simple screw-up that I'm doing with the style sheets... Kovid can you pipe in on this?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the problem with css is that you can't really have "override rules". So there may be something in the CSS from the LIT file that is pverriding the margin setting.

Also you have to make sure that in the HTML in the LIT file <p> is actually what is used for paragraphs and not something like <br> or <DIV>
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #10
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
great info!
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the problem with css is that you can't really have "override rules". So there may be something in the CSS from the LIT file that is pverriding the margin setting.

Also you have to make sure that in the HTML in the LIT file <p> is actually what is used for paragraphs and not something like <br> or <DIV>
Thanks, Kovid! The LIT files were produced by Book Designer 5.0 from various original formats. I'll bust apart the files and take a closer look...

Now for some investigation and some experimentation...I'm so glad I've got today off! It will keep my mind off the nasty cold I have and the minor surgery I'm going to have done later on this morning.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm... since you are talking about a height measurement and not a width measurement, try your same css but use the unit "ex". "em" is the width of the letter "m" in whatever font / size you are using ; "ex" is the height of the letter x in whatever font / size you are using.

so :

p {
margin-top: 1.2ex
}

also, to check if it's working, try with some outrageous value like 5ex ; then you are sure to see a difference, and you can refine it later to find the value you like.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
@zelda_pinwheel: That's definately true in traditional usage, but if you check the CSS spec it defines ems as a just a fraction of the current font-size. I proposed 1.2em as an approximation of the total line-height including leading, although there are certainly better ways with full control over the CSS.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, how odd ! why did they change that unit ? that doesn't make sense to me. as far as i know, ever since traditional printing em has been a measure of width and ex a measure of height (that's why we talk about the "x-height" of a font). now you are making me curious, i'm going to do a bit of experimentation myself.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last

Exclamation Eureka!

Great news for all of you, like me, who needs to chew each paragraph separately --- the peas cannot touch the corn cannot touch the mashed potatoes:

Kovid has written me off-site and given me a simple style sheet override for Calibre's ePub output that separates each paragraph with a line/space:

{{{
p { padding-bottom; 3em; margin-bottom: 3em}
}}}

That's all there is to it --- I've tried it and it works!

Thanks, Kovid --- I must pinch myself now to make sure that I'm not dead and already in Elysium...