Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Your favorite EPIC novel.

No longer do we have to suffer from bruises and scrapes from dozing off while reading in bed. Your reader may sting a little when it hits you in the face, but it's nothing like that beautiful hardback version of Ulysses you bought that leaves a new dent in your forehead halfway through the second chapter every time you try to read it.
What about a story so epic that paperbacks can't even contain it? A book so epic that gravity rips the book in half when you carefully remove one hand to take a sip of your drink.
E-Book readers can handle even the most epic stories. No longer do we have to suffer at the limits of p-book technology. So, I ask you, brethren of the digital biblium, to recommend a few such books.

I'll start:
Aztec by Gary Jennings
Lonesome Dove by Larry Mcmurtry
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
The Foundation Trilogy.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time series.

Heavy enough in Paperback, The Hardback's are impossible to read comfortably single handedly.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Proust.
And Balzac's Comedie Humaine.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
The Odyssey (although my edition is not actually *that* unweildy)
Moby Dick
Don Quixote
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
These aren't epic novels, but they are massive tomes and I wish I had them as ebooks:

The Riverside Shakespeare - I would like to have this as an ebook, or some other well-annotated complete Shakespeare collection

The Norton Anthologies - although the Harvard Classics that RWood graciously uploaded makes a very good replacement for these

OED - don't we all wish we could have this as a usable (searchable) ebook

Encyclopaedia Brittanica - ditto

The Columbia History of the World - and a host of other reference books
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

The First Chronicles:

1. Lord Foul's Bane (1977)
2. The Illearth War (1978)
3. The Power that Preserves (1979)

The Second Chronicles:

1. The Wounded Land (1980)
2. The One Tree (1982)
3. White Gold Wielder (1983)

The Trilogy's are huge and heavy!

also his Gap Series.

1. The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story (1991)
2. The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge (1991)
3. The Gap into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises (1993)
4. The Gap into Madness: Chaos and Order (1994)
5. The Gap into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (1996)
Old 06-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
These aren't epic novels, but they are massive tomes and I wish I had them as ebooks:

The OED and others are available at Fictionwise as Mobi and MS Reader files.

Unfortunately that wouldn't work on your sony. But they are still searchable on the desktop.

In fact a good dictionary and a thesaurus is a must have on my list of books to get, once I recover from the hole that buying the Gen3 put in my funds .
My only wish is that the gen3 would let you search for a specific word and not just look one up.

But they'll probably fix that first for the kindle (If its not already there)
Old 06-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post

The Riverside Shakespeare - I would like to have this as an ebook, or some other well-annotated complete Shakespeare collection

The Norton Anthologies - although the Harvard Classics that RWood graciously uploaded makes a very good replacement for these

Encyclopaedia Brittanica - ditto

The Columbia History of the World - and a host of other reference books

Oh, hell yes. I also wish that I could have my entire law library (Federal and all states) on a nice SD that I could just carry with me anywhere. And, it would be searchable, and I could make notes and bookmarks .... oh, man ... I would be one happy camper with that and Shakespeare and a really good encyclopedia (the Wiki is wonderful, but sometimes it's gi/go ... you know?)
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #10
gnawingonfoot
worthless joat
gnawingonfoot began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Handspring Visor Neo
My treebook copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell made my hands hurt every time I opened it, but it was sooo worth it. Ginormous and full of hilarious goodness, though an ebook version would've felt better.
gnawingonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Oh, hell yes. I also wish that I could have my entire law library (Federal and all states) on a nice SD that I could just carry with me anywhere. And, it would be searchable, and I could make notes and bookmarks .... oh, man ... I would be one happy camper with that and Shakespeare and a really good encyclopedia (the Wiki is wonderful, but sometimes it's gi/go ... you know?)
Have you checked out

http://www.mobilereference.com/

They appear to have alot of reference materiel in Mobipocket format.

haven't bought anything from them but looks interesting.

Has anyone actually bought a book from them? are they standard open prc's or secure mobipocket books.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:00 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
The OED and others are available at Fictionwise as Mobi and MS Reader files.
Only the "Concise" Oxford is. I think the previous poster is referring to the 23 volume (or however many it is now) "complete" OED.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #13
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only the "Concise" Oxford is. I think the previous poster is referring to the 23 volume (or however many it is now) "complete" OED.
Oh, Ok.
When I think of the Oxford English dictionary, the biggest one I usually think off is the Concise one, a copy of which we had at home and in the school library.

The only time I think I saw the complete one was at the local British Council Library , and even then just to look at from afar.

Since then I've been spoilt by using an electronic dictionary for most purposes, and while it does have American spellings, it does get the job done most times .
Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I meant the OED, not the Concise OED, although obviously neither is available for my Sony in a form I can practically use and I would gladly have pay for either one that did. My copy of the OED For The Common Man which I carry in my head is getting a bit long of tooth (if I don't know the meaning of a word, I make one up).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote