Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
wtschnitz
wtschnitz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Water Damage for Pocket Edge?

So I did the unthinkable and brought my PocketEdge with me to Lollapalooza last year. I didn't know it then, but it was on the day where it rained heavily twice and everything in my bag got soaked.

I dried it off, kept it in rice and tried turning it on and off every now and then. It looks to be charging and boots, but the touch screen doesn't register anything, looks to have water underneath, and the date and time are always the same when I reboot. It even registers when a USB is connected.

I know it's a long shot, but I just had it for a good two or three months before this happened. Is there any way to fix it? Should I bring it to someone to try to get it working? Or is it already bricked? It's still sitting in the rice.

Help please ;__; I loved it while it was working so to have $200 go down the drain for little use makes me utterly sad.
wtschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
OK, a long shot and a guess. Open the unit to about 90 degrees and stand it on edge - this MAY help the moisture to escape from between the resistive layers and the screen. I say may because there is capillary action trying to keep that moisture there.

The other thing you should do is take off the plastic covers and check the battery contacts aren't getting corroded and there is no sign of water damage on the circuit boards and cable sockets.

From what you have written there is every chance that you unit will work again as it did.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Water normally will not do much damage if you allow it to dry before applying power. A hair dryer on low and away from the unit so it doesn't melt something might help to quicken the process.

As above, opening would help if you feel comfy doing so.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
wtschnitz
wtschnitz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
So I just got the cover to the touchscreen portion off and took it apart to see if there's any water. There is nothing. Everything looks okay or dried and even when pulled apart, it turns on and the buttons seem to work fine. Without the cover, the touchscreen is still unresponsive.

Is it possible to get just that part replaced? Should I attempt to look on the ereader side?

I don't know anymore.
wtschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I'd guess you might snag the parts on ebay but probably cheaper to buy a used on on ebay. You might wiggle the connecting ribbons a little and make sure something isn't loose.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Since this is a pocket edge, and not a EE, you could just buy one off ebay, working, for $50. The PEs have plummeted in resale value.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, pocket edge, troubleshoot, water damage