Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
CSS Forum / Subform

As posted today in another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
(And, really--we need a sub-forum for ePUB CSS. It's silly that all these questions are in Sigil, as if it has anything whatsoever to do with it. Or, generally, these should be moved to ePUB. This one had some relevance, but it's a novice question that would be better answered over there, by more folks with experience in using Calibre to make ePUBs.)

Just my $.02

Hitch
Thoughts?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No need as most of those questions belong in the ePub forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No need as most of those questions belong in the ePub forum.
Well, it's hard to argue with my main man, Wolfie, (my fave curmudgeon), for as he says, these types of questions may rightly belong in the ePUB forum. If ePUB had a sub-forum for CSS, or even a sticky thread, like Sigil does for regex...that would be okay with me.

I suppose one could argue in the alternative that without CSS questions (usually about Calibre's unilluminating CSS), the Sigil forum would be the Hall of Deathly Silence. However, I think that we get enough CSS questions on ePUB, MOBI and Sigil (I don't hang out much on the other software sub-forums, but I can't see why they'd have fewer) that people who really want to learn about eBook CSS would probably be grateful for a dedicated ebook CSS forum. (I can say, when I was "learnin' me some HTML and CSS," I was very grateful that W3schools had a dedicated CSS forum!)

I mean, on the odd occasion I go looking for something, or am trying to remember some odd bit I read somewhere, searching for CSS can be a royal pain, if you don't remember what thread/forum/sub-forum you read it on. It would certainly be handy if it lived in its own place. And it's not really ePUB-centric, in that many of the posters who ask on Sigil are genuinely asking about something that they are doing in Sigil but intend to feed to KindleGen. K8 does have CSS now...so...

I also think a decent argument could be made that we ought to have a dedicated thread or sub-forum for CSS specifically for ebooks, (or...maybe the wiki?) because truth be told, it does not exist anywhere else, and we should be upholding, or at least promoting the idea of, quality standards. We have real ebook-CSS stars here, like Jellby, from whom the newbs (paid, volunteer, hobbyist or otherwise) could learn much about how to create the sort of quality books we should all be happy to read/see.

That's my $.02, FWIW. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There's the ePub forum, and there's the Workshop forum, both are logical places for CSS discussions, I believe. Perhaps we (moderators) should move more threads from the Sigil forum to one of the other two... but often the questions are about some regex in Sigil, or about why something doesn't look right in Sigil. Maybe the Workshop forum is the right place anyway, and we should restrict the Sigil forum for more specific Sigil discussions.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
We do have CSS in the wiki and several CSS pages with tips and help.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A CSS subforum off of the ePub forum would work. There are too many threads in the Sigil forum that have very little or almost nothing to do with Sigil. It's that the person is using Sigil to edit and thinks that's the appropriate place to post. I have tried flagging a number of those threads that belong in the ePub forum and I get ignored. This is not right as the threads I have flagged as in the wrong forum.

We need to keep the threads on ePub where they belong even if they started in Sigil or Workshop.

Speaking of Workshop, just what is it's purpose? We already have dedicated forums for a number of formats.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote