Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #991
shouled
shouled began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
It would be nice to be able of posting some book quotes/selections/phrases or "I'm reading" in Twitter/G+, as can be done in FB.
shouled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #992
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'd like:

-The ability to auto-create shelves based on (Calibre) tags. In general, anything which makes Kobo 'play nice' with Calibre would be a good thing.

-At the very least, the ability to select which shelves apply to a given book, rather than which books apply to a shelf. Rather than sorting through 50+ pages of book titles to select books that should have, say, a "fantasy" tag, I'd rather just select a newly-added book and choose which tags (ex "fantasy", "children", and "green bug-eyed monsters") apply to it. For me, a list of tags would be far shorter and easier to sort through than my list of books.

-Ability to run a more complex search based on book tags. For example, I might like to find all books which have a "fanfic" tag but not a "Sherlock" tag, or books which are both "children's" and "fantasy".

Last edited by Krytes; 09-14-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #993
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I wonder if annotations (dictionaries, etc) have anything to do with dead screen taps (as suggested by someone else. I can't remember who) In other words the device can't determine whether you are doing a short tap or a long touch.

I don't use annotations and rarely use the dictionary, so I would like an option to turn off long touch detection. In this case, the Kobo would only see taps and swipes. Maybe this would make page turning more efficient.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #994
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
I wonder if annotations (dictionaries, etc) have anything to do with dead screen taps (as suggested by someone else. I can't remember who) In other words the device can't determine whether you are doing a short tap or a long touch.

I don't use annotations and rarely use the dictionary, so I would like an option to turn off long touch detection. In this case, the Kobo would only see taps and swipes. Maybe this would make page turning more efficient.
I love the Annotations function - it means I can mark up the file for editing whilst actually reading the book (many old sci-fi books/stories were printed on such poor paper that all sorts of errors creep in at the point of scanning). However, I don't see why there can't be a switch for this sort of thing.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #995
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I believe that some devices are faulty and that is why some folks have dead taps frequently, while others have them almost never. I purchased a Touch about six months ago that had dead taps galore out of the box and had them when it was set up just like my other Touch, including the same books on the device.

I returned the Touch with the double tap issue and never looked back. The replacement device was fine.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #996
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I believe that some devices are faulty and that is why some folks have dead taps frequently, while others have them almost never. I purchased a Touch about six months ago that had dead taps galore out of the box and had them when it was set up just like my other Touch, including the same books on the device.

I returned the Touch with the double tap issue and never looked back. The replacement device was fine.
I guess it's more than that - my Touch didn't have dead taps with neither 1.9.14 nor 19.16, but with 1.9.17 (which introduced a whole area that didn't respond at all to my touch, too - plus the dead taps in other areas). I had dead taps with 2.0.2 (though seldom) - but don't have any with 2.1.1 (or so seldom that I don't remember to have any ).

So I think it may be a problem with faulty hardware, but it may also be the combination of firmware and hardware that causes trouble.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #997
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Hey there, new kobo (Europe ver 2.0.0) user there and already have a thing bugging me a bit

I've been using the thing for less than three days now and i thought that it would be really nice to be able to set different font settings (size, spacing etc) per book. I have some books in russian i'd like to keep different settings for those as the only working font is the default one and i prefer using another for books in french and english.

Oh and also the possibility for the device to override the style settings on ebooks, because having a unmodifiable null margin sucks.

Last edited by Glasofruix; 09-20-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #998
degeneration
degeneration began at the beginning.

DOn't know if this has been suggested already, but I'd like the option for the Shelves to appear as an entry in my regular book list, with the books in the shelf not appearing in the book list.

For example, I've got a Discworld series shelf. If that appeared as one entry, that would take 40 or thereabouts books out of the regular browsing, making it easier and faster for me to browse through. If it is a Discworld book I'm after, then I just select that entry and go through the discworld shelf.

Or, if not with shelves, do the same thing with book series. So each series only gets one entry in the book list and to get the individual volumes of the series, you select that series. Like going into a new folder...

All that has probably been suggested already, but it would be great for me!
degeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #999
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
deleted: wrong thread, sorry.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #1000
heyow
heyow began at the beginning.

Hi,
I'm new on this forum, and French, but will make an effort to be understandable.
Sorry, I didn't read all the pages, so I'm sure some of these requests have already be requested. But I guess the more a thing is requested, the more the team will work on it.

What do I suggest :

For PDF reading (quite unusable at this moment) :
  • A better zoom, without making appear the menu, something always present on top or side of the screen for example. A better thing would be to make it invisible. With gesture detection, maybe. For example, when sliding from the top to the bottom of the screen (middle).
  • When we zoom / dezoom (double tap), remember the level of zooming as it was set, don't come back to default middle level zooming. It drives me crazy.
  • more levels of zooming. Or an autozoom feature, which fits automatically to the paragraph. It's really hard to fit to a paragraph manually.

For ebook reading :
  • The possibility to rotate the screen like in pdf reading. Could be useful for some converted pdf with images / tables.
  • The text selection tool is unusable. Impossible to select multiline, very slow, not precise at all.

Menu : library > books / bookcase / ...
  • need a new condensed view, without image, in order to fit 15 / 20 items in it. Author / title / format. That's all I need. In one thin line.

Menu : library > books
  • a filter to ignore / show only books that are / aren't in a bookcase. Once ranked in a bookcase, it is useless to show it in general books library. But in some cases, it could be interesting to show or show only these books, that's why a filter could be interesting.

Menu : library > new thing
  • A folder browsing system could be very useful.

Goodies
  • A firefox addon to save and convert a web page to epub, and send it to the kobo.
  • Same thing for pdf could be crucial, but really hard to make, I guess. Actually I convert it to html, edit it manually and convert it with calibre.
  • I know the web browser isn't supported, but there is a minimum. On tweeter for example, a lot of links doesn't open.

I precise my main use of the kobo and why I bought it.
I wanted to be able to read blog posts, pdf's, web articles, user manuals, tweeter and the more things as possible on my Kobo.
Before Kobo, I used my printer.
Now, I waste a lot of time in converting process to .epub format.

I really think Kobo team has missed this very important usage, like all concurrent ebook readers.

Because reading these things on Kobo would be just perfect, screen isn't tiring, I can sit comfortably, and can read all these ressources in transports.

I know the Kobo is mainly designed for books reading, but an effort could make the kobo the best multi-ressource reader if you seriously work on syncronization between desktop computer and Kobo.

And I'm sure a lot of people could be interested by a product optimized for this usage. For now, it's not the case, and no solution is available except maybe big tablets with tiring pixels screens, large size, large cost, 1-day-batteries and lot of useless stuff.

This could make the Kobo unique and alone on this part of the market.

Last edited by heyow; 10-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.
heyow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #1001
Windlord
Windlord began at the beginning.

The point of a Kobo like ereader is to create an experience where the purchase and acquiring of ebooks is as quick and easy as possible. This is both for the convenience of consumers and the profit of Kobo.

Kobo has done a good job at that, with desktop syncing for Windows and Mac working nicely (though slowly), and books syncing right away via wifi to the ereader itself.

Unfortunately, in my usage pattern, I see a few problems which may be useful to fix. This is so because every other ereader firmware has the same issues which results in user inconvenience, and there would be all the more of a reason for consumers to purchase Kobo products when these issues have been addressed.

1. I am a Linux user and as much as I love my Kobo Touch, I love Linux many times more. Use Windows should not be a recommended solution.
2. I attend a university, therefore having access to WPA Enterprise. Back at my student hall, I lack wifi and thus setup an ad-hoc network via my laptop. Both are unsupported.

In my view, good wireless sync support would be of paramount importance due to reasons I have mentioned at the head of this post.

Re: 1. The Linux userbase is very small. I realise that Kobo supported a Linux version for desktop for a short while but had to stop support due to lack of resources and demand. The least a Linux user could have therefore would be good wireless support, which leads to point 2.

Re: 2. When I mentioned the lack of WPA Enterprise support before, I was told that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Don't most college students have laptops with USB ports? And phones that can create WiFi hotspots are not uncommon. It's not like people have to be connected to WiFi to read a book.
This is unreasonable as one should not need to take a seat, switching one's laptop on and creating a wifi hotspot to bring Kobo some revenue. The idea behind having an ereader with wireless connectivity is that book purchases and reading occur quickly and without hassle.

I understand that having WPA Enterprise support has many complications including the storage of AP credentials. However, I would expect support for at least ad-hoc shared networks which is what I can readily create using my laptop.

Some Amazon Kindle models offer 3G support which provides constant store connectivity and syncing capabilities. I would not underestimate the profitability of that feature. The least Kobo could do, is keep people as much connected as possible, whether it be at work, academic institution, or home.

Thanks.

PS. I would also heavily recommend that the syncing be worked on. I find that it is very un-necessarily slow and could be improved on drastically. I have also noticed sporadic service failures which causes sync on my Kobo to fail.

Last edited by Windlord; 09-30-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #1002
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I doubt you're ever going to see WPA-Enterprise support. It's just too much of a niche case. The Kobo devices are aimed at the home user... and the odds of a home user running WPA-Enterprise are slim to none. I can easily understand why your university uses it, but I'm afraid it means you're out of luck as far as minor wifi using devices go.

Quote:
Some Amazon Kindle models offer 3G support which provides constant store connectivity and syncing capabilities. I would not underestimate the profitability of that feature.
Profitability? You're kidding, right? Amazon's been taking a bath on the 3G support for years. It's a great pull to get people to buy the devices, but the only reason it's possible is that Amazon has extraordinarily deep pockets and can take the loss. Even then, they've taken measures to cut down the costs associated with Whispernet. You can't browse the web using the 3G anymore.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #1003
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Primary vs Secondary Uses

I really want to stress a point that bears repeating. An eReader should first and foremost be a device which allows for a smooth and easy reading experience. Everything else should be secondary. When you have trouble reading, nothing else matters.

Create software that allows for a great reading experience, and then build around that.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #1004
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
I really want to stress a point that bears repeating. An eReader should first and foremost be a device which allows for a smooth and easy reading experience. Everything else should be secondary. When you have trouble reading, nothing else matters.

Create software that allows for a great reading experience, and then build around that.
Well said, winsomnia! Page turns that are never noticed, formatting that doesn't affect the reading experience, easy finding of books. These are the core functions of an e-book reader.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #1005
Windlord
Windlord began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I doubt you're ever going to see WPA-Enterprise support. It's just too much of a niche case. The Kobo devices are aimed at the home user... and the odds of a home user running WPA-Enterprise are slim to none. I can easily understand why your university uses it, but I'm afraid it means you're out of luck as far as minor wifi using devices go.
I am unaware of the specific network manager in use by the Kobo, but I assure you, it should not be too difficult. It runs on Linux.

But I suppose you have a point, there isn't much demand.

Take this possibility though: Many users find they cannot connect to their WPA-Enterprise network at school/university/work but since they have a home connection which can be used, don't bother looking it up. Kobo on the other hand misses an opportunity to sell an extra book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Profitability? You're kidding, right? Amazon's been taking a bath on the 3G support for years. It's a great pull to get people to buy the devices, but the only reason it's possible is that Amazon has extraordinarily deep pockets and can take the loss. Even then, they've taken measures to cut down the costs associated with Whispernet. You can't browse the web using the 3G anymore.
I'm sorry, the bit about 3G may have been misleading. What I wanted to say is:

Connectivity is very important.

<off the topic>
Oh and you'd be kidding if you thought Amazon makes losses by providing 3G. 3G costs are a risk worth taking to sell an extra book to your consumer. (News tell me e-book costs are on the rise) The use of the web browser however, isn't for that purpose and should therefore be disabled or discouraged, where Amazon has chosen the former.
</off the topic>

Last edited by Windlord; 09-30-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote