Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #976
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
I would like to see DJVU support in an upcoming version the file sizes are about 4 times smaller than PDF.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #977
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Ok - I admit it - I was checking out the new kindles right after checking out the new kobos...overall - all I saw was that I am still perfectly happy with my kobo touch. BUT there was one little feature on the kindle that both hubby and I wished was on the kobo...that "minutes left in this chapter" indicator at the bottom. What I wouldn't give for something like that!!!
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #978
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Kobo, please please please implement the possibility to switch page number per chapter to page number per book total of pages.
Seconded!
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #979
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
What I would really like... is to be able to add non-kobo books to my kobo account, and have them sync between devices. To get and e-mail address where I can e-mail books to and they magically appear on my KT when I sync...

That's the only Kindle thing I'm jealous of. Really jealous.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #980
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
What I would really like... is to be able to add non-kobo books to my kobo account, and have them sync between devices. To get and e-mail address where I can e-mail books to and they magically appear on my KT when I sync...

That's the only Kindle thing I'm jealous of. Really jealous.
I know this is mainly about the Touch, but if Kobo did this I would probably move everything to Kobo and just use their apps, would be great for everything to be in Kobo
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #981
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I know this is mainly about the Touch, but if Kobo did this I would probably move everything to Kobo and just use their apps, would be great for everything to be in Kobo
Yep, me too.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #982
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Reading stats:

I would like to be able to see my stats of the book I just finished reading.

Now, whenever I finish a book, the reading stats immediately shows the next book I'm supposedly reading with 0% read and 0 pages turned and 0 minutes read etc... I'd like to know how long it took me to read the 'previous' book. There's no way of looking back at the stats of a book. Please implement! I hardly ever look at the stats while reading a book, as I'm into the story...

In short, stats are great, but I'd like to see them when I finished a book (too).
Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #983
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Yep, me too.
I'm intrigued by this. You seem to have a different way of getting books than I do. I get them from my favourite repositories (usually Baen and Manybooks, with Project Gutenberg thrown in), which I download to my computer, then copy them to my Dropbox folder, and then use Calibre to organise them to a library in my Google Drive folder (redundancy).

How does the Kobo idea work? Emailing books that then show up on devices seems ... difficult.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #984
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I'm intrigued by this. You seem to have a different way of getting books than I do. I get them from my favourite repositories (usually Baen and Manybooks, with Project Gutenberg thrown in), which I download to my computer, then copy them to my Dropbox folder, and then use Calibre to organise them to a library in my Google Drive folder (redundancy).

How does the Kobo idea work? Emailing books that then show up on devices seems ... difficult.

Mmm it is difficult if that's all it would do. What I'm suggesting is a way to have sideloaded books (what you do; I do it too) automatically entered into the Kobo account. If I buy a book from Kobo, it's added to my Kobo account and synced automatically to my Kobo Touch, but also to my Kobo application on my iPhone and my Kobo Desktop. Bookmarks are synced etc. But, this lovely syncing does not happen for sideloaded books. What I'm suggesting is to have the syncing implemented for sideloaded books as well.

One way to have the books added to the Kobo account would be with a special kobo e-mail address. This is how Amazon/Kindle does it. The advantage of that is that your friends can e-mail you books as well, and you don't have to separately add them to your device, they just turns up.

It would be even better, of course, if all the books that are on your Kobo device just automatically sync to your account, so you wouldn't have to always email yourself all the books you want to read. That way you could keep using Calibre (yay), and still have everything all over you Kobo apps everywhere. But I'd still like the e-mail option as well for the book sharing with friends idea.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-07-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typoes
Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #985
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are privacy issues related to having information about books that are not associated with purchases from the Kobo account travel to their servers. Canada is like that yanno. I imagine that at some point, Kobo will find a workaround for that--some sort of opt in. It does create a need for more server shtuff, and I am not sure how that plays out for them.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #986
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Mmm it is difficult if that's all it would do. What I'm suggesting is a way to have sideloaded books (what you do; I do it too) automatically entered into the Kobo account. If I buy a book from Kobo, it's added to my Kobo account and synced automatically to my Kobo Touch, but also to my Kobo application on my iPhone and my Kobo Desktop. Bookmarks are synced etc. But, this lovely syncing does not happen for sideloaded books. What I'm suggesting is to have the syncing implemented for sideloaded books as well.

One way to have the books added to the Kobo account would be with a special kobo e-mail address. This is how Amazon/Kindle does it. The advantage of that is that your friends can e-mail you books as well, and you don't have to separately add them to your device, they just turns up.

It would be even better, of course, if all the books that are on your Kobo device just automatically sync to your account, so you wouldn't have to always email yourself all the books you want to read. That way you could keep using Calibre (yay), and still have everything all over you Kobo apps everywhere. But I'd still like the e-mail option as well for the book sharing with friends idea.
Ah - all becomes clear! Yes, that would be good. I haven't yet got any books through Kobo (because I've got enough to be going at for a while), so I haven't bothered with the whole Kobo account thing because I knew from the forums here that it is pointless with side-loaded books. What you describe would be a lovely thing, wouldn't it?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #987
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There are privacy issues related to having information about books that are not associated with purchases from the Kobo account travel to their servers. Canada is like that yanno. I imagine that at some point, Kobo will find a workaround for that--some sort of opt in. It does create a need for more server shtuff, and I am not sure how that plays out for them.
Good points, but since I use Google Drive to store my library, I assume I have no privacy anyway!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #988
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Mmm understandable.

Might it be possible to customise which server to sync to from the Touch? That way, everyone could set up a server or e-mail box or whatnot for themselves and maintain it privately, but still have all of the sideloaded books sync from it. Of course that would eliminate the actual kobo books from being synced... But the option would be nice.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #989
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Public domain books from feed books contain list of books from that author and and related books at begining and end of the book. Those links don't show on my Kobo Touch but are shown on My T1. This may be a Calibre programing problem or a Kobo Problem.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #990
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
How about a real, supported, web browser instead of this bogus "experimental" ducking of responsibility, as on the kindle and kobo for the past few years?

I don't need to go comparison shopping with it, just enough to do email, which doesn't need much more than text -not even javascript.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote