Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
I ordered it from Kohls just after midnight Central time. Got the 30% off and free shipping. They said it should arrive by the 20th. Can't wait to see it and review it.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I had it in my saved basket. Good thing cause I noticed not only had the page disappeared, but the online ad paper no longer had the reader. I wonder why?

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #18
Vixhen
Vixhen began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Pandigital Novel

I guess that was the trick (saving Novel in my Kohl's cart) because I was able to order mine w/no problem. Amazing deal, though - $122.50 with 30% discount (before tax) - not to mention the extra $15 rebate! Can't wait to get it.
Vixhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I know what the problem is...

My local Kohls had two Pandigital Novels in stock yesterday. They were behind the customer service desk, and they were willing to sell me one for $259. Unfortunately, they would not price match the sale that was set to run today.

So, I sent my wonderful wife out to try to secure me one when the store opened at 8:00. When she got there, they still had two, but they were informed by the manufacturer that the units were defective and that they needed to pull them. They have no idea when they will be back in stock, but they put me first on the waiting list. I called another Kohls and they confirmed that all of the units shipped to Kohls were recalled as defective and they couldn't sell them.

I'm not sure if this relates to why they were taken off the website, but it makes sense. Perhaps Nate received one of the defective ones, and that is why his experience was so different from Coldsun's.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
FriendOfEntropy
Radioactivist Mutant
FriendOfEntropy began at the beginning.

Device: Witstech A81, Toshiba e310 Pocket PC
I did exactly the same thing moments after midnight, and got the same results..estimated arrival on the 20th, 122.50 cost.

I couldn't find a rebate slip online at the manufacturer or at Kohls though..does anyone know where to get one...physical slip of paper at the store maybe?

If they cancel my order because of this "defective" issue that was just posted about, they'd better not charge me shipping on my undershirts and socks I ordered with it since they obviously don't add up to the free shipping minimum order limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
I ordered it from Kohls just after midnight Central time. Got the 30% off and free shipping. They said it should arrive by the 20th. Can't wait to see it and review it.
FriendOfEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Mine has been locking up quite a bit. The problems seem to lie with putting in an SD card and the reading application itself. I think it is a firmware issue, although I'm going to call Pandigital this morning and find out if this is a hardware defect and if I have to return it. I'll let you know. I love this thing other than the freezing it is doing.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #22
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

OK I just got off this phone with Pandigital tech support. I just LOVE the fact that I can talk to someone about this here in the US.

THIS IS NOT A RECALL!

Tech support told me they are simply pulling the units off the shelf at the stores and their technicians are going in and installing the latest firmware and then placing them back up for sale. So if you already have one, or have one coming in the mail, its just a matter of putting the firmware on the device. There is no hardware recall. Again, I got the sense that they are super serious about supporting this device.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
OK I just got off this phone with Pandigital tech support. I just LOVE the fact that I can talk to someone about this here in the US.

THIS IS NOT A RECALL!

Tech support told me they are simply pulling the units off the shelf at the stores and their technicians are going in and installing the latest firmware and then placing them back up for sale. So if you already have one, or have one coming in the mail, its just a matter of putting the firmware on the device. There is no hardware recall. Again, I got the sense that they are super serious about supporting this device.
That sounds like a used car sales pitch to me. My local Kohls told me it was a packaging defect, which I don't believe. I'm reminded of the Cheech and Chong routine from the 1970s.

Chong in dope induced state, "Hey man that looks like pooh."

cheech replies, "Touch it and see, man."

"Hey man that feels like pooh."

"Smell it and see, man."

"Hey man that smells like pooh."

"Taste it and see, man."

"Hey man that tastes like pooh." With look of surprise, "Hey man that is pooh!"

Cheech laughing his backside off...

Last edited by jswinden; 06-09-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #24
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Look Jack, I know you can be brutal sometimes, but I'm not pitching anything. I'm simply trying to help people who are interested.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Well, I ordered online this morning. I went to Kohl's to see if they were in stock and was told that the corporation won't let them sell the reader because it is "missing parts". What a crock. So I got the impression that they have them in the store since the manager told me that they are waiting to for higher up to tell them when they can release them.
I would like to know what the real deal is. I suspect it may have something to do with the rebate coupled with people using their 20-30% coupons. So does anyone know why they have removed the reader from the online store?

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #26
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I'm supposed to go into the store to do the refund on the difference for the sale price (with the discounts and coupons I had it down to $159). It will be interesting to see if they honor it like they said they would on Monday or insist I give the device back. I definately don't want to give it back, but I'm also NOT paying $259 for it heheh. I like it, but not THAT much.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #27
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Jack, it's not a used car sales-type pitch. It's been widely confirmed that the problem is these devices shipped before the firmware update could be applied. Happens all the time with laptop and high end phone releases. A Pandigital tech was at my local Kohls today doing the updates and I will be there to pick mine up in the afternoon. I have two friends that are very satisfied with their Novel readers after the update was applied.

Oh yeah- mine is $112 after all is said and done.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The price at JCPenney has dropped to $179.99 FWIW.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #29
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Just got an email from Kohls and they cancelled my order!!!!! Because of a software misfunction?!? Stupid Kohls, I can do the update.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #30
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Just got an email from Kohls and they cancelled my order!!!!! Because of a software misfunction?!? Stupid Kohls, I can do the update.

Ditto and ditto. I wrote back and let them have it.

SURE they'll give me a 15% discount if/when I place an order for the Novel later....when they'll be selling it at the regular price of $259. What a dirty trick. Yeah, I told them that, too.

Last edited by mtnmedic; 06-13-2010 at 09:00 PM.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote