Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshield View Post
The first book in the program is below. epub format

Link http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ebooks/free_ebook.html

The Birthday Book
Edited and Translated by Holt N. Parker
120 pages, 9 line drawings 5 x 7 © 2007
E-book Free! See form below (about e-books)
ISBN: 9780226099774
Cloth $25.00
ISBN: 9780226099743 Published February 2007
Mine came down in pdf format, and when I contacted the very pleasant lady she said that it had not yet been made into an ePub ebook.

Anyone had any success in downloading it as an ePub ebook?

They've got a marvellous range of books, and I'd like to get more of them.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #17
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Mine came down in pdf format, and when I contacted the very pleasant lady she said that it had not yet been made into an ePub ebook.

Anyone had any success in downloading it as an ePub ebook?

They've got a marvellous range of books, and I'd like to get more of them.

Regards, Alex
Came as PDF. Guess that PRS-500 firmware upgrade will come in handy soon PDF reflow good...
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #18
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliovault View Post
Hi--we're very sorry for the overnight outage. The free Birthday Books are back up--please enjoy.

Also, any links issued last night should work fine now. (The server issue wasn't about the free books, or linux..! We love linux.)
It seems that you do not love Linux that much, on my linux box I cannot d/l the file as your software claims my system does not meet the minimum requirements for d/l. For information I do have ADE installed and working under wine but your software cannot detect it.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #19
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile
Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
From what I've read of the book so far, it is absolutely great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
It seems that you do not love Linux that much, on my linux box I cannot d/l the file as your software claims my system does not meet the minimum requirements for d/l. For information I do have ADE installed and working under wine but your software cannot detect it.
That's not their problem, it's Adobe's fault for not releasing their Linux version like they said they were going to.

Last edited by Mobile Mason; 11-21-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Mobile Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #20
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Mason View Post
From what I've read of the book so far, it is absolutely great!
That's not their problem, it's Adobe's fault for not releasing their Linux version like they said they were going to.
Well it is their problem if they want to sell books to all comers. Fortunately the people there are very nice. They emailed me a download link which worked fine on my linux box. Other providers of adobe drmed books give you a direct link to download the ascm file to use in conjunction with ADE. That is all you need provided you have ADE running under wine/crossover.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile
Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Well it is their problem if they want to sell books to all comers. Fortunately the people there are very nice. They emailed me a download link which worked fine on my linux box. Other providers of adobe drmed books give you a direct link to download the ascm file to use in conjunction with ADE. That is all you need provided you have ADE running under wine/crossover.

Luqman
I see your point then, but you can't place that much blame on them.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

They use pdf as an ebook format, which it is not is, and that is their fault.
I am assuming that the d/l is drmed which is why they use ADE and that is their fault.
Why anyone would DRM a free book is beyond me.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
They use pdf as an ebook format, which it is not is, and that is their fault.
I am assuming that the d/l is drmed which is why they use ADE and that is their fault.
Why anyone would DRM a free book is beyond me.
Not the first time; Adobe gave away a free book about themselves (!) with DRM a while back..
Oh, and the title of that book was "Inside the Publishing Revolution: The Adobe Story" by Pamela Pfiffner.

Last edited by AprilHare; 11-22-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Moar
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #24
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I can't get it to work. After installation it keeps asking for my password - I assume for my email account - not likely to get it from me! I'm sorry since it sounds like a book I'd like to read.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #25
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I can't get it to work. After installation it keeps asking for my password - I assume for my email account - not likely to get it from me! I'm sorry since it sounds like a book I'd like to read.
It's talking about your Adobe account...not your email account.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #26
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Mason View Post
I see your point then, but you can't place that much blame on them.
True. I give them the benefit of the doubt because they are still new at this. Their book rental option is quite intriguing. I think if they just allow people to form an account with them like you can at Books on Board or Cyberread, it won't be an issue. People can just download the ascm file directly, drag it onto ADE, and bam, you've got your book.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #27
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I've sent them an email to suggest they consider adding the EPUB format for all the reasons so often discussed on this forum. They certainly do have an interesting variety of books you wouldn't find anywhere else, and for a $5 rental charge for 30 days I could tolerate pdf, but hopefully they'll add EPUB in the near future.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #28
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
An enjoyable read, and quite handsomely crafted as well!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #29
weedfreak
Addict

Something else to note about this 'free' ebook, the book is only a loan book, it is for a year so plenty of time to read it but if you want to keep it to reread it then it will need to be deDRMed.

They do claim to be in the process of converting from pdf to epub format which will mean they sell 'proper' ebooks. All they then need to do is abandon DRM and they will be a useable service.

Last edited by weedfreak; 11-22-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: proofreading
Old 11-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #30
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Weedfreak - I agree that they should abandon DRM for books you purchase, but I'm willing to put up with DRM on a book I've only paid $5 to rent for a month.

Hopefully their conversion to EPUB will happen soon, as they seem to have many titles that would be worthwhile reading.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote