Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
allanguthrie
Enthusiast
allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle and Sony PRS-600
Killing Mum, a crime thriller

Hi folks,

[EDIT]: This thread was originally about some thrillers I'd made available for the Kindle in the US. Alas, those editions are available no longer, so I'm deleting the irrelevant (and misleading) information. However, I do have a two crime thriller novellas out, one of which is a new edition of Killing Mum (published Dec '10), which is about a very unusual contract killing. Hope it sounds of interest.

It's available from Amazon UK, Amazon.com and on various formats from Smashwords

About the book:

Receiving ten grand as down payment on a hit isn't that much of a surprise to Carlos Morales. After all, arranging contract killings is his business. But he never expected that someone might want his mother dead!

What's equally troubling is the fact that the anonymous package arrived addressed to 'Charlie'. Only two people call him by that name: his wife and his mother. Has his wife just hired him to whack her mother-in-law? Or is his mother just looking for some help to put an end to her misery? Or maybe there's another answer entirely.

One thing's for sure: Carlos is about to find out.

Praise for KILLING MUM

"Dark, warped and funny, and with a surprising number of twists and turns for such a short book... Loved it." Big Beat From Badsville

"Nobody working today has Guthrie’s way with black humor and sweat-drenched suspense" Bookspot Central

"… another fantastic whirlwind of violence and intrigue from Allan Guthrie, who is fast becoming a master in his genre. It hits you a powerful punch in the very first paragraph and just gets darker from there on in." Euro Crime

"Guthrie packs his prose with real suspense, his usual droll take on human venality and enough surprises to keep you turning the pages quickly. A really nice piece of crime writing." Ed Gorman

"another fine contribution to hard-core noir by one if its finest contemporary practitioners" International Noir

About the author:

Allan Guthrie's debut novel, TWO-WAY SPLIT, was shortlisted for the CWA Debut Dagger and went on to win the Theakstons Crime Novel Of The Year. He is the author of four other novels: KISS HER GOODBYE (nominated for an Edgar), HARD MAN, SAVAGE NIGHT and SLAMMER, and three novellas: KILL CLOCK, KILLING MUM and BYE BYE BABY. When he's not writing, he's a literary agent with Jenny Brown Associates.

Last edited by allanguthrie; 03-22-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Removing expired information and links
allanguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to MobileRead, allanguthrie.

Since this is your first post, let me extend a warm welcome to you as you visit the many Forums here on MobileRead. There's a lot of interesting discussion on many different topics.

We also have over 11,000 public domain and CC titles that are completely free and lovingly assembled by a number of members. You'll find many different formats here.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on your Kindle titles. They look very interesting to me. I'll probably end up buying them!

---ADDED: I just purchased "Two-Way Split."

Sincerely,
Don (Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
allanguthrie
Enthusiast
allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Don, thanks so much for the warm welcome! And I do hope you enjoy Two-Way Split. Thanks for taking the chance. I'm looking forward to looking around the site, getting to know the folks that hang out here, and checking out what's on offer.

I'm delighted to say I've had a fine review up for another of my Kindle books, Killing Mum, today at Bookspot Central: "No one working today has Guthrie's way with black humor and sweat-drenched surprise." I'll link to it, but I warn you that the reviewer uses some decidedly fruity language, so if anyone's reading this who's at all uncomfortable with four-letter words, I'd avoid clicking this link

I can also offer you a much less sweary two-way interview with fellow crime writer Ray Banks at Pulp Pusher, also just up today, in which I talk an immense load of nonsense, although I'm supposed to be talking about Killing Mum. Click here to read.

Thanks!

Al
Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanguthrie View Post
Don, thanks so much for the warm welcome! And I do hope you enjoy Two-Way Split. Thanks for taking the chance. I'm looking forward to looking around the site, getting to know the folks that hang out here, and checking out what's on offer.

I'm delighted to say I've had a fine review up for another of my Kindle books, Killing Mum, today at Bookspot Central: "No one working today has Guthrie's way with black humor and sweat-drenched surprise." I'll link to it, but I warn you that the reviewer uses some decidedly fruity language, so if anyone's reading this who's at all uncomfortable with four-letter words, I'd avoid clicking this link

I can also offer you a much less sweary two-way interview with fellow crime writer Ray Banks at Pulp Pusher, also just up today, in which I talk an immense load of nonsense, although I'm supposed to be talking about Killing Mum. Click here to read.

Thanks!

Al

Black humor - dark comedy; morbid humor - is right up my alley. It's not as fully appreciated in some areas, in my opinion, due to the conservative nature and thinking that has attacked normally intelligent people (and I'll PM you to say more on this, please), but I'm a big proponent of it. Fiction that shatters us out of our complacency can make us think outside the narrow boxes we find ourselves in.

A play I wrote, produced and performed at my University, dealt with the death of Mama and how her two sons just couldn't quite stuff her in a big floor-standing icebox without pesky neighbors always dropping in and spoiling their dinner.

I believe that dark comedy, especially comedy that centers around death (or the grotesque) certainly has a legitimate place in Literature and within the context of literature-based studies. (However, as I mentioned, I'll PM you on this so that I may add additional information.)

Best wishes for your work.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
allanguthrie
Enthusiast

Thanks, Don. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Al
Old 08-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
allanguthrie
Enthusiast

Deleted.

Last edited by allanguthrie; 02-06-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Referred to old edition of book, no longer published.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Al, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Hi Al and welcome.

A note though... you might want to consider publishing on other sites and in other formats to reach a much larger audience. I don't own a Kindle, so can't get a copy of your books, and that's a pity because they sound really interesting. Also, Kindle is currently US only so a lot of readers outside the US can't get it.

Maybe you could consider publishing on Smashwords. If you like, here are a couple links that other authors found useful:

http://www.smashwords.com/about/how_..._on_smashwords

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54309

I look forward to being able to download and enjoy your books.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
allanguthrie
Enthusiast

Deleted.

Last edited by allanguthrie; 02-06-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Referred to old books, no longer available.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
allanguthrie
Enthusiast

Deleted.

Last edited by allanguthrie; 02-06-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Referred to books that are no longer available.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
allanguthrie
Enthusiast

Here's a terrific new crime novel exclusively available for the Kindle at $1.25

CRIME ALWAYS PAYS by Declan Burke

“Few books in recent memory have been as much fun to read as Declan Burke’s THE BIG O. The sequel, CRIME ALWAYS PAYS, is a worthy successor … The end result is a little like what might be expected if Elmore Leonard wrote from an outline by Carl Hiaasen.”
– New Mystery Reader

“You never get away. You’re always getting away.”

Karen and Ray want out. Rossi wants his ear back. Doyle wants Ray. Melody wants a good story. Sleeps just wants to do some soft time … A trans-Europe road-trip screwball noir, CRIME ALWAYS PAYS features a cast of cops and robbers, losers and hopers, villains, saints and a homicidal Siberian wolf. You’ll never see the Greek islands in quite the same light again …
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
allanguthrie
Enthusiast

KILLING MUM, a crime thriller

Deleted.

Last edited by allanguthrie; 02-06-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Duplicated info as a result of threads being merged.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
nigel p bird
Banned
nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hi Allan.
I'm delighted to see that your work is selling so well. Bye Bye Baby is absolutely deserving of a top 10 slot - congratulations on the UK sales. I'm looking for more Guthrie on Kindle -already have Killiing Mum. Anything in the pipeline?
nigel p bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
allanguthrie
Enthusiast

Thanks, Nigel. Working hard to see what might be done, but nothing I can talk about just yet.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
allanguthrie
Enthusiast

From now until March 12th, the voucher code RE100 will give you 100% off the cost of Killing Mum from http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/32120