Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #946
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can also look under the Universal Serial Bus controllers on XPs Device Manager; check out any entries entitled USB Mass Storage Device; one of those will be the Kobo.

With me the Hardware Ids entry seems to show the full ID string
Code:
USB\VID_2237&PID_4163&REV_0326
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #947
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about some options for what is displayed on the page menu.

On 2.1.1, it goes Time -> % read. If I sleep and wake-up, it shows the Book title.

I say replace the % read with the book title (the % read is graphically displayed at the bottom already), and replace the wifi connection with the temporary time, and make the temporary time longer. Or always leave the time up, and refresh every 5 seconds.

And speed up everything. The Nook ST is very fast compared to the KT.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #948
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You can also look under the Universal Serial Bus controllers on XPs Device Manager; check out any entries entitled USB Mass Storage Device; one of those will be the Kobo.

With me the Hardware Ids entry seems to show the full ID string
Code:
USB\VID_2237&PID_4163&REV_0326
The "Hardware IDs" entry gives:

USBSTOR\DiskKobo____eReader_________0110
USBSTOR\DiskKobo____eReader_________
USBSTOR\DiskKobo____
USBSTOR\Kobo____eReader_________0
Kobo____eReader_________0
USBSTOR\GenDisk
GenDisk

So it shows the revision number. Going to the correct usb Mass Storage entry(this would be so much easier if I had my laptop, and not the desktop with umpteen drives plugged in!)>Properties (double clicking)>Details>Device Instance ID, gives USB\VID_2237&PID_4163\N905B21300675, i.e. the correct PID. However, since nothing says it is the Kobo, it might not be helpful for others to do this (unless some do and some don't have way of easily identifying it).

Does anyone have an easy way for Mac and Linux users to do this?
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #949
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
From the System information app! Why didn't I think of that before?
/Applications/Utilities/System information.app

Under hardware, select USB
From the USB Device Tree (on the right), you should see your device (mine says "eReader")... Clicking it gives information in the bottom part of the window.

My info:

Code:

Capacity:	  1.47 GB (1,471,904,768 bytes)
  Removable Media:	Yes
  Detachable Drive:	Yes
  BSD Name:	disk1
  Product ID:	0x4163
  Vendor ID:	0x2237
  Version:	3.26
  Serial Number:	KG31B1500609E
  Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Kobo
  Location ID:	0x24100000 / 3
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	2
  Partition Map Type:	Unknown
  S.M.A.R.T. status:	Not Supported
I see the product ID... but I don't know what the rev is...?

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 08-29-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #950
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could someone try this and see if it works

Save the following as list_usb.py
Code:
from calibre.devices.libusb import get_devices
ans = get_devices()
for device in ans:
 print device
 for ids in device:
  print " hex: %x" %ids
then, from command line and in the directory where the calibre executables are found
Code:
calibre-debug -e <path to list_usb.py>
When I try it I get the following with my Touch attached
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2>calibre-debug.exe -e d:\source\list_usb.py
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:initialize
(8759, 16739, 806)
 hex: 2237
 hex: 4163
 hex: 326
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #951
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post

My info:

[CODE]
Product ID: 0x4163
Vendor ID: 0x2237
Version: 3.26
I THINK version == rev!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #952
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I THINK version == rev!
Ah yes of course
Very easy to find on a Mac then
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #953
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Could someone try this and see if it works

Save the following as list_usb.py
Code:
from calibre.devices.libusb import get_devices
ans = get_devices()
for device in ans:
 print device
 for ids in device:
  print " hex: %x" %ids
then, from command line and in the directory where the calibre executables are found
Code:
calibre-debug -e <path to list_usb.py>
When I try it I get the following with my Touch attached
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2>calibre-debug.exe -e d:\source\list_usb.py
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:initialize
(8759, 16739, 806)
 hex: 2237
 hex: 4163
 hex: 326
I have tried dusting off my command-line skills, and get to the Calibre directory okay. "calibre-debug -e d:\list_usb.py" just gives me:

DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:initialize

At least it is recognising the Kobo, but what am I doing wrong? Does it need to be run whilst the KT is connecting to the computer, or should it run any time it is attached?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #954
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

It should work at any time.... Oh well.... so much for that idea
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #955
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
It was a good one. However, this little search for data is far more Indiana Jones-esque than expected! Who would have thought it would be so difficult to get device IDs??
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #956
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I had a look at the code. It looks like it is querying the current USB bus. But, there must be some filtering I am missing as it is only reporting readers. I suspect if a device that calibre didn't know about was plugged in, it wouldn't report it.

I think the calibre device detection is the best method. It not only reports the ids but it also reports what calibre thinks the device is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #957
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had a look at the code. It looks like it is querying the current USB bus. But, there must be some filtering I am missing as it is only reporting readers. I suspect if a device that calibre didn't know about was plugged in, it wouldn't report it.

I think the calibre device detection is the best method. It not only reports the ids but it also reports what calibre thinks the device is.
I'm not able to check at the moment, but I didn't have Calibre running at the time I tried. Would that make a difference? It seems to me (now!) that it might.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #958
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'm not able to check at the moment, but I didn't have Calibre running at the time I tried. Would that make a difference? It seems to me (now!) that it might.
It shouldn't. The command is a way to load the calibre libraries and execute some python in that environment. If calibre is running, these will be separate environments. Plus, it didn't affect the test I just did.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #959
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It shouldn't. The command is a way to load the calibre libraries and execute some python in that environment. If calibre is running, these will be separate environments. Plus, it didn't affect the test I just did.
Ah well - just a thought. I haven't had chance to play since I last posted (fortunately, I get a new laptop tomorrow! Being tied to a desktop is a nuisance, though I am getting more reading done whilst my wife watches the telly!), but I might get a chance this afternoon.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #960
jam29
jam29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I really, really want to be able to see what series my books are in and what number in the series they are!
jam29 is offline   Reply With Quote