Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Amalthea
Amalthea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPod Touch
Output profile and Input encoding questions

After a zip to epub conversion, all the apostrophes were replaced by squares. I used the default output and default input settings in the conversion window, and input encoding was left blank.

I also read the section about how to use with an iPod and Stanza, so I changed the Output profile (in Preferences) to iPad, kept the Input to default and the blank Input encoding and recoverted. Which resulted in not only the apostrophes being squares, but the rating stars on the metadata page as well.

I removed the epub and started over, trying the cp1252 encoding, but that only made things worse, with squares and other strange characters.

What settings should I use for the Output profile for an iPod? Default or iPad? The default gave me less problems. Will the Output selection affect the size of the epub? Is 5mb too big? (other epubs I have from an online coversion are all in the kb's)

Also, what Input encoding should I use? I saved the html pages in google chrome, but couldn't find what the encoding was. I opened one of the pages in IE, used the View > Encoding and it was listed as Western European (a forum search said that it was 1252).
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthea View Post
I removed the epub and started over, trying the cp1252 encoding, but that only made things worse, with squares and other strange characters.
You're on the right track but you have to backup even further.

The encoding you're looking for is in the HTML to ZIP file type plugin. You have to set the encoding correctly before adding the html to calibre. This means you need to delete the zip from the metadata edit window, change the encoding, add the html back to the available formats window in the edit metadata area.

The plugin gives you some common options.

Keep doing this until you get the right outcome.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Amalthea
Amalthea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPod Touch
Thanks, that did the trick!

I went with cp1253 and left the other input field as blank. The only thing it didn't fix was the rating stars being squares. So I just switched the output profile to the Default settings (rather than iPad) and the stars are back.
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote