Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
vacooley
vacooley began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I am tired of being ripped off.

OK, so now I have a great new Nook. I go to buy books only to find out that:

a. I can get the REAL book (including shipping) for less.
b. I can get the "Kindle Edition" from Amazon for over $5 less than the "Nook Edition".

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated situation.

I am going to stop buying any Nook ebook that is more than the same Kindle ebook. I will just get a paper copy from Amazon or find a library that has it.

The only way the industry is going to change is if a significant number of potential buyers do the same.

So, who is with me?
vacooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, vacooley.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't buy books. I rely on public domain and libraries for my reading material.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Perhaps the price of books should have been in your original equation of deciding to purchase the nook?

You can also buy books from any online bookstore that uses ePub. (Kobo, Sony)
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I don't see large or even small price differentials in the ebooks I buy. Maybe they haven't hit the SF/Fantasy markets but the ebooks I want are available and I can buy them from B&N. The few exceptions during various publisher wars have been available from Sony. Lucky for me I have options to get non-B&N DRM content. Unlike Kindle users.

I am tired of price differential with pbooks and ebooks. It makes no sense that a pbook is cheaper than an ebook and I have seen that. But not all the time.

OTOH I am completely willing to strip DRM and get whatever books I want on my nook. Limiting the right of resale is not an ability I choose to grant to corporations.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
Perhaps the price of books should have been in your original equation of deciding to purchase the nook?

You can also buy books from any online bookstore that uses ePub. (Kobo, Sony)
Yes, there are many online ebook sources out there besides B&N and Amazon. Naturally, the Big 5 Ripoff books will be similarly priced everywhere, but there is so much more content out there beyond the artificially manipulated New York "Best Seller" list.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
There is not much of a difference in prices between Amazon and B&N anymore.
See this August survey by Inkmesh:
http://inkmesh.com/blog/2010/08/21/h...-agency-model/
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
vacooley
vacooley began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have also been reading a lot of public domain titles and some library books. ePub support is why I bought the Nook over the Kindle.

I also did research the cost of books. The problem I have is that I believed articles like the one referred to by a previous poster. The reality is that the books I tend to want to read (non-fiction for myself, child and young-adult fiction for my daughter) have consistently been higher than what Kindle editions cost.

The real 'answer' for me is going to be library ebooks but the selections are still a bit constrained at the libraries that I am able to use.
vacooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't buy books. I rely on public domain and libraries for my reading material.
Me too.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Never tried it nor am I advocating it but word around the campfire is that Amazon DRM is not hard to remove. Calibre will convert it to ePub, I think. No big deal.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I don't buy DRM books from either Amazon or B&N if I can help it. I get my ebooks free either from the public domain or from the libraries. It makes no sense for me to pay more than the price of paper backs to lease the rights to read on a particular device. I don't own it, I can't share it, I can't donate it and I can't sell it.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
eBooks are real books.

They're just not paper books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I feel your pain.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #14
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I don't see large or even small price differentials in the ebooks I buy. Maybe they haven't hit the SF/Fantasy markets but the ebooks I want are available and I can buy them from B&N. The few exceptions during various publisher wars have been available from Sony. Lucky for me I have options to get non-B&N DRM content. Unlike Kindle users.

I am tired of price differential with pbooks and ebooks. It makes no sense that a pbook is cheaper than an ebook and I have seen that. But not all the time.

OTOH I am completely willing to strip DRM and get whatever books I want on my nook. Limiting the right of resale is not an ability I choose to grant to corporations.
BINGO. I just find it the cheapest and strip the DRM and convert if necessary....I don't care one way or the other about the legalities of the situation.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacooley View Post
OK, so now I have a great new Nook. I go to buy books only to find out that:

a. I can get the REAL book (including shipping) for less.
b. I can get the "Kindle Edition" from Amazon for over $5 less than the "Nook Edition".

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated situation.
The obvious question to ask is "Why did you buy a nook if you felt that books for it were too expensive?"
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook prices