Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
voyager
voyager began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600BC
Recognized on 1 PC, not on another PC???

I purchased a PRS-600 for my galfriend.
When if arrived, I connected it to my PC to look it over.
All seemed to be just fine with it.
So, I took it over to her place to give it to her.

When I hooked it up to her PC it was not recognized.
I spent the whole weekend fighting it trying to get it to work.
The situation just got worse.
I finally gave up and brought it back home with me, expecting that I'd have to do a warranty thing with it.
Lo and behold, it works just fine and is still recognized by my PC, all the software installs properly, etc.
Luckily I didn't break it while wrestling with it trying to get it to work on her's.

Now that I'm looking back at what happened, it seems that something is wrong with the USB on her's.
I did seem to get worse as I fought with it for 2 days.
Finally, I couldn't even get it to charge by USB.
But, the screen did show that it was hooked up to USB.
Now, it is hers not mine.
I need to get it to work on her PC.

Anyone have any idea as to how to proceed with this?

Again, the problem is not the reader.
It appears to be her PC.
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Are all of the USB ports bad on her computer?

Were you using the USB cable that came with the Reader?

Would a powered USB hub possibly supply more juice?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
voyager

I tried the reader on the front USB ports and several of the back ports.

Yes, I used the included USB cable.

While the problem did degrade until the reader wouldn't even charge, the original and continuing problem is that the PC doesn't even know it's connected, it doesn't recognize the reader.
A firmware upgrade, if it needed one, cannot be done.
The Library and Adobe software, when installed, do not see the reader because the PC does not see it.

I have Win7 on mine while she has WinXP on hers.
That really shouldn't be a factor, should it?

I'm hoping this sounds familiar to someone because I'm down to thinking that the only fix for this is to reinstall the mobo software and drivers and then do a clean install of the OS. Neither of us is happy with the thought of doing this.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Is it possible her antivirus or other software is blocking the Reader?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
While the problem did degrade until the reader wouldn't even charge
I suspect the reader was never charging through these ports, most likely the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
I tried the reader on the front USB ports and several of the back ports.
Take a usb flash drive and use it to verify that the usb ports are working. How old is her computer? If her computer is too old the computer may be USB 1.1. While USB 2.0 ports will work with all USB 1.1 devices, the opposite, while mostly true, is not always true.

Check to make sure her machine is running SP3 and has all her updates installed. Check the hardware updates. Check the device manager are there any yellow exclamation or question marks (can't remember which) next to any of the Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Unfortunately this is not a common occurrence and your hope for a quick solution doesn't look good. You can always use your phone a friend option. Barter with beer it worked for me in the Navy when I needed auto work done.

If all else fails you can always buy a cheap (under $15) PCI usb card for her machine.

Good Luck
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
dwanthny has some very good advice. Follow it.

The two biggest problems I've found are a) USB 1.1 ports, and b) unpowered USB hubs.

USB 1.1 is flaky as standards go, and depending on the PC involved, if it has 1.1, it's possible that it just plain doesn't like your Reader, and is having a snit. The Reader sucks down power -- if it's on an unpowered hub, it can in fact discharge. So if you're not going direct to the PC, use a powered hub.

System rebuilds rarely solve this sort of problem, and they're a nightmare. I use XP myself, and it's never been unhappy with my Reader -- although some ports on one of my comps are (specifically, the front-panel USB 1.1 ports). So test with a known good device before you think about doing anything drastic.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are there any other usb devices plugged into the computer? If so, I would unplug all the other ones and try each usb port again.

Things works for one of my flash drives but not sure about the reader. Sometimes my computer won't recognize my flash drive unless I plug it in while it's booting. Have to wait into the bios screen clears.. perhaps 3 or 4 seconds after it's been turned on or else it may say you are trying to boot with a device with no OS and it'll just hang there.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
voyager

Sorry for not getting back on this sooner.
I only deal with this on the weekends when I go over to her place.
Yes, it does have USB 2.0.

Other things about her PC that may apply is that:

1. It has an ongoing problem with an occasional hang on shut down with a BSOD for a pci.sys problem.
Now, it hangs on shutdown every time the reader has been connected to it with an occasional BSOD.

2. Device Manager / System Devices shows 2ea - Microsoft UAA Buss Driver for High Definition Audio entries, one of which has an exclamation mark denoting a problem with it.
Properties/Device Status shows:
"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"
After uninstalling the one entry it re-installs upon restarting with the same problem.

I've wanted to install Win7 on her PC for a while now.
She has resisted strongly not wanting to deal with the change over.
She's beginning to weaken now.
I'm going to exchange a pair of 320GB HDDs for the 2 - 160GB HDDs she has now, then dual boot Win7 with her WinXP.
This will give me time to get the Win7 install setup tuned and her time to get used to it before removing WinXP from the PC.

I think that will take care of the problem.
We'll see.
Thx for your help.
If it works I'll let you know.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Make sure you run the Win7 adviser first before installing Win7. It'll tell you of any problems.

If all works well you can actually download an add on from Microsoft that runs a virtual PC in XP mode. You'd still need to install all her current programs and files but that might work well for the transition.

It only took my husband and kids a day or two to adjust from XP to Win7 and my husband can be pretty cranky.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
... You'd still need to install all her current programs and files but that might work well for the transition ...

It only took my husband and kids a day or two to adjust from XP to Win7 and my husband can be pretty cranky.
She's got 3 or 4 old favorites that I think are Win95 apps, maybe even older.
She won't let go of them.
If I'm going to get her to change over to Win7, I'll have to get them to work on it, no ifs ands or buts.
I had the same problem getting her onto WinXP.
I'll make it so that she has to use Win7 to be able to d/l e-books from the library.
I'll also make it the default OS.
She'll end up in it by accident fairly often.

She has just been changed over to Office 2007 at work in the last few days.
She's stressing at the idea of having to deal with a new OS too.
Told her I'd put O2k7 on it too.
She's an East coast liberal, almost as flexible as a West coast conservative.