Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
ECO reader best format?

i know that the ECO reader can display a wide range of formats, but is there one or two that it does best? for instance, if i wanted to convert a novel from PDF what would be best to convert it to?

thanks

troykm
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I personally like FB2 as a format.

I'd almost recommend converting to a few different formats and testing each of them on your Eco Reader and see which you prefer.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 03:25 AM   #3
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
that sounds like a good idea, what can i use to convert it? i have stanza, but that has no option for FB2, and i can not get calibre to work properly on my vista machine.

thanks solicitous
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
PDF to FB2 - Bookdesigner 5 should do nicely this unless the PDF is locked.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The three formats that are worth comparing are FB2, ePub and MOBI. They each use a different viewer on the ECO Reader. Since you are using Stanza, ePub may be simplest.

One issue with ePub is that there are no options on the device except font size and screen orientation. So if you want a Sans Serif font, or bold text, or left justification this needs to be in the ePub. I like all three, so I use the following extra.css (for Calibre, I don't know how to use this with Stanza):
Code:
body {
    font-family: sans-serif;
	font-weight: bold;
	text-align:  left;
}
The default is the Serif font, normal weight, and full justification.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The three formats that are worth comparing are FB2, ePub and MOBI. They each use a different viewer on the ECO Reader. Since you are using Stanza, ePub may be simplest.

One issue with ePub is that there are no options on the device except font size and screen orientation. So if you want a Sans Serif font, or bold text, or left justification this needs to be in the ePub. I like all three, so I use the following extra.css (for Calibre, I don't know how to use this with Stanza):
Code:
body {
    font-family: sans-serif;
	font-weight: bold;
	text-align:  left;
}
The default is the Serif font, normal weight, and full justification.
I think that the main advantage to ePub is that one can go into the original files and make changes like the ones described above.

I would have thought though that text-align: justify; would be the way to go. I'm surprised to see that text-align: left; works to justify text.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I would have thought though that text-align: justify; would be the way to go. I'm surprised to see that text-align: left; works to justify text.
The default is text-align: justify; which can be over-ridden by text-align: left; to give a ragged-right margin. For an ebook that is explicitly configured for left justification, adding text-align: justify; to Calibre's extra CSS might or might not give you full justification, depending on how the ebook's CSS is configured.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote