Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
pixelbased
pixelbased doesn't litterpixelbased doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
My kindle2 has arrived!!! It's GORGEOUS!

First off, it's much smaller than it looks on camera, those keyboard buttons are tiny!

It's VERY thin, feels VERY solid. I'm almost tempted to say it's a bit heavy, but I can't say for sure yet without really using it.

The box it came in is pretty sleek.

The Amazon Leather cover is AWESOME. The leather feels amazing and the interior felt feels like cashmere!!! The hook system is EXTREMELY secure from what I gain.

My books are already in there from my pre-kindle-madness-orders.

The screen is really nice.

The screensavers are a nice touch. Mr. Poe shows up in extraordinary detail!

I'll be spending my entire evening reading and writing my real-world review. So far it's magnificent.

Holding the flap back all the way between my fingers and pressing the next page feels very natural.

I'm really excited. I wish it arrived at 5pm so I don't have it sitting in my face all day haunting me to be read at work!!!

By the way, the text to speech sounds STELLAR!!! I mean, I was expecting a really crappy computer voice and to be honest, it's totally decent sounding. Not perfect, but you know, well worth your listening time
pixelbased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Congrats Pixelbased!!!
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Cool! Pictures!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Does <Alt><Shift><G> still produce a screenshot?

Does J, when the font size menu is up, add the justification options to the menu?

See Hacking the Kindle part 3: root shell and runtime system for these and other keyboard shortcuts from the Kindle 1.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Oh man..you're going to make me want one.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Where's the picture???? don't leave us who haven't got ours yet hanging!
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
pixelbased

ALT SHIFT G just makes the screen blink?

Pressing J didn't do anything for me so far upon the text menu.

This device is sleeeek. I'm really enjoying it. The detailed photos for the screensaver are droolworthy and add a nice touch to the device in sleep mode

I want the work day to be over so I can REEEEEAAAADDD!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
pixelbased

I'll take photos when I get home, I'm at work now

There isn't much different from the photos on their website, but I'll do size comparison photos, and photos in the cover (which is GORRRRRGEOUS!!!)
Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Sounds great! I am waiting for my delivery today. I sprung for a Cole Haan case but it really looked like they made the black case look very nice.The stock case for kindle 1 was just awful so it looks like a great improvement.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
KarlB
Enthusiast
KarlB began at the beginning.

Device: clay tablet
I just unboxed mine too. It sure is a purty li'l thing, and I wish I could just go home and play with it too.

First funny quirk I've noticed: When plugging in the the micro-usb connector, it's hard to see which way the plug should be oriented just by looking at the plug and its socket (they don't call it "micro" for nuthin). It turns out the correct orientation is with the "amazon" logo on the plug facing the back of the Kindle.
KarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelbased View Post
ALT SHIFT G just makes the screen blink?
If it worked, there should be .gif files containing screenshots in the base directory of the filesystem. It only worked before if you had a SD card, so perhaps the lack of SD has broken this feature. See Font Sizes for examples.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Since you briefly had a 505, how would does it compare to both fit and finish and size?
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Wow I can't believe you got it so fast, and AHEAD of schedule! I'm jealous (hoping mine comes in today or tomorrow)
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If ALT-SHIFT-G worked, there should be .gif files containing screenshots in the base directory of the filesystem. It only worked before if you had a SD card, so perhaps the lack of SD has broken this feature. See Font Sizes for examples.
You'd have to plug in the USB cable to see these files. Then you grab them off the Kindle, and post them here, for us! I think blinking is all it ever shows on the face of the Kindle itself. (speaking from Kindle 1 experience)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Got the call from UPS that someone would need to be home to sign for the delivery, so I am sitting by the window waiting for that big brown truck as I write this...

Hurry up UPS!!
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote