Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
corso
corso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Help in activating microsoft reader

I have tried to activate the reader for several days now. Each time, I get a message telling me that the server is unavailable. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks in anticipation
corso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
Sorry I'm no help, but also having the same problem, so it's not just you...
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
corso

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear that it's not just me. I have tried on several machines and with different broadband connections. So what is happening I wonder? I have a .lit book at fictionwise waiting to be downloaded. Do I just write it off to experience?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
I have to say that one of the reasons that I do not use the Microsoft reader myself is the warning from BooksOnBoard:

Quote:
Most difficult Reader to configure; increasing compatibility issues.

We do NOT recommend this format. We offer it to accommodate our long-term Microsoft Reader customers.
see http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=formats

afaik it used to say that this format was no longer supported by Microsoft, but recently changed.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
I think the server is back up now - I managed to authorise my laptop last night...
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I have to say that one of the reasons that I do not use the Microsoft reader myself is the warning from BooksOnBoard:
Hmmm. I've used and activated MS Reader on many machines and not had the slightest difficulty myself. It certainly isn't "rocket science"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. I've used and activated MS Reader on many machines and not had the slightest difficulty myself. It certainly isn't "rocket science"!
It doesn't help that the activation server was down.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It doesn't help that the activation server was down.
I was referring to the comment from BoB that MS Reader is "difficult to configure". Allowing for the occasional outage of the activation server, I've never found it to be so, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
corso

Many thanks UKHaiku.Tried it again - now successful.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Grrr.... tried it on 23rd September before going on holiday but couldn't get it to work so had to not download the books I'd bought for my holiday... and now I'm home it still says the server is down.

I'm very annoyed.... I've been recommended to download the Microsoft Reader files rather than the Adobe ones from Fictionwise (for my PRS-505) so that they can be converted easily... but this is a major PITA. Can Secure eReader files from Fictionwise be easily converted?

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
Grrr.... tried it on 23rd September before going on holiday but couldn't get it to work so had to not download the books I'd bought for my holiday... and now I'm home it still says the server is down.

I'm very annoyed.... I've been recommended to download the Microsoft Reader files rather than the Adobe ones from Fictionwise (for my PRS-505) so that they can be converted easily... but this is a major PITA. Can Secure eReader files from Fictionwise be easily converted?

Cheers,
Terry.
Yes Secure eReader and secure Mobipocket can both be converted.

How Easy is it?

Well it does require you to install Python and run a couple of scripts to convert them to HTML.

Once in Html, you can easily convert them to lrf using Calibre.

But if you were planning to convert the .lit file anyway, it should not be any more difficult.

Just search on google for for the scripts Mobi DeDRM for Mobipocket and eReader2html for eReader.

For how to use them, look at this thread in the forums.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18310
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
For A little more specific info

Mobidedrm - How the heck do you use it?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23718

eReader Decoder Tool
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20407
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Removing DRM from LIT, Mobi, eReader are all pretty much the same. You d/l the file and run a script/app which does the work. Once done you can convert to whatever format you need. Calibre will convert all three mentioned to LRF.

That said, LIT can only be purchased on a windows machine using IE. So, it isn't a choice for Mac/Linux people.

However, if you've already bought the LIT's you pretty much can't change to another format.

You might want to call MS support... I doubt the server is really down all this time. Do you have a firewall or something running on your PC that may be causing a problem?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
FYI: I always recommend also that people download the reader, get it working and download the free LIT book from FW to test the whole process before you start spending money on LIT ebooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks chaps - I'm a Windows user (and due to some expensive Windows-only music software I'll be a Windows user for some time to come) so the Microsoft Reader format seemed to be a good idea. Since I last posted I've been perusing the forums looking for eReader conversion stuff and I've managed to:
(1) Install Python (the proper one from the official Python site)
(2) Find the Python script for converting eReader files to HTML
(3) Convert a book from Fictionwise to HTML
(4) Amend the HTML to justify left rather than centre (annoying!)
(5) Download and install Calibre
(6) Convert the HTML file to LRF using Calibre
(7) Copy the LRF to my reader

It all seems to work wonderfully... thanks to everyone on here!

Of course I still want to have Microsoft Reader as an option but when I go to the MS support site and try to select Microsoft Reader as the product I want support for it isn't listed and tells me to check my spelling!
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote