Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
LaLaLia
LaLaLia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch - Kobo Glo - Kobo Aura H2O - MEO Tablet 2
Unhappy Book cover not showing as screensaver.

I've been using a Kobo Glo for 2 years with absolutely 0 trouble but decided to get myself an Aura H2O for Christmas. It has been working well expect for this one little thing: I cannot get book covers to show as the screensaver, it only shows the FNAC logo. My Glo was also bought from FNAC but I was always able to change the settings in the Sleep and Power menu. Is this a new firmware thing?
My H20 is currently running 3.19 and my Glo is on 3.18.
Although the screensaver option is no longer listed in the menu, the Glo still shows the covers properly.
Is there a way to fix it?

Problem solved! I found the answer in another post somehow. In my defence, I did search for similar questions before posting, don't know why I missed it before. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience! Is there a way to delete this post?

Last edited by LaLaLia; 12-28-2015 at 05:19 PM.
LaLaLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And just so anyone finding this post needs to know, it would have been done by changing the affiliate in the affiliates.conf file on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Whoa there. Am I correct in assuming that there is a way to make the reader show something other than the cover as screensaver?

That is awesome! How do I make this happen?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Whoa there. Am I correct in assuming that there is a way to make the reader show something other than the cover as screensaver?

That is awesome! How do I make this happen?
There should be ways to do that in the stock readers, perhaps with a patch, but it is easy with the add on reader KOReader. You can specify an image to use, in place of the cover, or you can specify a folder of images to be randomly used.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
If you don't want to use koreader, though it's got it's benefits, there is this option
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255238

Works with the current firmware. It does need a little tweaking to be properly used with any device which isn't the H2O, but once that's done it should be smooth sailing. It'll display a random image from a folder, or if you only put one image it'll use that one. It does this for both the sleep and power off modes, each having their own folder.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
There should be ways to do that in the stock readers,
There is.

On the Aura H2O, go to Settings, and then go to sleep and Power. Uncheck the box next to "Show current read:" in the Screensaver settings.

Now my reader goes to sleep to an all-white screen with the word Sleeping in the lower left corner, which is exactly what I need in order to be able to continue to read my favorite erotic romances in the break room at work.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:25 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Now my reader goes to sleep to an all-white screen with the word Sleeping in the lower left corner, which is exactly what I need in order to be able to continue to read my favorite erotic romances in the break room at work.
When I was buying paper books, I tended to buy the edition with the tamer cover if I was likely to be reading it in public. For ebooks, I tend to choose the most lurid cover as no-one gets to see them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Here is what I use when I turn using the bookcover off.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When I was buying paper books, I tended to buy the edition with the tamer cover if I was likely to be reading it in public. For ebooks, I tend to choose the most lurid cover as no-one gets to see them.
When I read paperbacks back then I always put them inside a fake leather book jacket that I got from my favorite local museum. I didn't care about hiding what I was reading, but it kept the paperbacks very new looking so they'd last longer when I passed them around to family/friends. It actually was very good quality, I still have it laying around here somewhere.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Same here, while I was using the PRS-950 (who died a sad death from old age, poor thing), but it doesn't use the book covers as screensaver. I live in conservative Mormon Country, where the typical cover art of an erotic BDSM-themed romance would actually be awkward and detrimental to my career prospects if my co-workers saw a glimpse of it.

My quiet way of rebelling.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
hero88
hero88 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
Hi,
I have a similar problem, my H2O has running perfectly for the last year, ended up on FW3.15 and didn't upgrade after. It always used to display the book cover of the book which I was reading when it went to sleepmode, this weekend it stop doing it. Not changed anything. I have upgraded to FW3.19 with patches and without patches, same issue, I have looked at the affilliate.conf file, and it says affiliate=Kobo. In .kobo\kobo\kobo ereader.conf it has this info
[PowerOptions]
AutoOffMinutes=60
FrontLightLevel=32
FullscreenCoverStretch=true
ShowBookCover=true
SleepAccessoryEnabled=false

I have tried deleting the book which it shows and then the next partially read book shows up. But not the one that I am actually reading.

I have tried all settings i can find under options->sleep and power, and I cannot get it to display the cover of the book I am reading, it has stuck on a book I accidentally clicked on and didn't want to read right now.

My wife's AuroHD has the same issue but has had it longer but she hadn't told me so do, I have done the same on hers and can't get that working either.

I really don't want to do a factory reset, so in the hope of not having to do that, does anyone have any suggestions?
hero88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero88 View Post
... does anyone have any suggestions?
Have a look at your Date & Time settings. If the clock is wrong, sometimes it can't decide what the latest read book is.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:31 AM   #13
hero88
hero88 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
jackie_w: That did the trick, thank you.
hero88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura h2o, cover, screensaver