Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Freeground (The First Light Chronicles #1)

Randolph Lalonde has released the first book in his First Light Chronicles trilogy, Freeground, as a free ebook in both PDF and mobi format on a permanent basis, directly from his web site.

More details here: http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/2...rst-light.html
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Thank you. It looks interesting and I've snagged a copy.

It's very helpful when one can discover an author by "sampling" a book. Baen's authors appear to have benefited from the free downloads.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm not sure if this is a scam or not. You download and read the first book for free. Then you buy it again because buying the second and third is going to be more expensive then buying all three in the omnibus edition. This seems very odd to me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not sure if this is a scam or not. You download and read the first book for free. Then you buy it again because buying the second and third is going to be more expensive then buying all three in the omnibus edition. This seems very odd to me.
First time i've seen a bargain price on an anthology called a scam...

You can buy the book individually or get the omnibus (which obviously released long after the first book). In paper, you get all three for 2/3 the price of the individual copies. For the Kindle, it's a bit cheaper, if you ignore the current sale of the first book at under $3.

The author is then undercutting that sale price by giving away the first book, to anyone that finds his web page, as a PDF or mobi (so, easy to convert). Sure, you'll buy that first book "again" if you grab the omnibus, so you can keep them all together and FOR RIGHT NOW you save money over buying the second two books (if that omnibus goes back up to list price, it will be cheaper to buy just books 2 & 3).

On the print side, the second series is already coming out in a dual book for the first two (not on Kindle yet), so I expect combined book versions that save money on the Kindle side as well, eventually.

So, I guess the "scam" is:
Give away a book. Make it good enough the suckers out there buy some more. Make those good enough that they buy the next series. [No wait, this sounds like marketing ....... better work on plan some more!]

Seems that many others use the same "scam" - giving away free books, then giving you price breaks on bundles, where you may end up "buying" that first "free" book again.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
stxopher
Nameless Being

Think of it as being a careful consumer. After all, in most cases if it sounds too good...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Well, it cost me quite a few dollars...

as having read the first book, I went & bought the other books (the omnibus plus the three Spinward Fringe books) from Mobipocket!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
doug1984
doug1984 began at the beginning.

Device: netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can see a little bit of your logic here, but let me counter that with a point that's just as valid:

Imagine Star Wars: A New Hope was free and you go to see it with the foreknowledge that there are two more movies, or even five more movies following it. Did you just get something free or did you get scammed?

Take another example on the flipside: You get to see Kill Bill Volume 1 for free and are told that just next door Kill Bill Volumes 1, 2, and 3 are playing for a discount in one showing. Now, Kill Bill wasn't for everyone, that's a fact. So the theater is giving you a chance to decide whether the following films are worth paying for. If you watch the first one and didn't like it enough to pay for the second and third it cost you nothing but time. If you like the first and decide that you need to see the second and third you can just show up next door and pay your way in.

The reviews for the First Light Omnibus on Mobipocket sold me on that book. After I finished reading that collection there was no question I was buying the Spinward Fringe books because it was my thing. When I started reading Randolph the free version of Freeground wasn't out yet, but if it was I would have read it before spending money, sure. Who doesn't want to look behind the curtain before the real show starts?

On the other hand, I just spent four times as much cash on another sci-fi collection from a different author and found out too late that it was absolutely terrible! The best part of that book was the preview (chapter 1), and it was downhill from there!

With Randolph's stuff (and sorry if you ever see this mate), I believe that Freeground is the worst book of the series! I mean, it's good, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but things get better all the time with this guy's work! Oh, and on his site he said that he was putting Freeground out for free as a thank you and an invitation to people who were gun shy about getting into a series of books. Since this is how he makes his living its pretty amazing that hes giving anything away at all

Just my two bits there. If you think it's a scam you're off your nut.

Last edited by doug1984; 02-24-2009 at 02:25 PM.
doug1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Randolphlalonde
Author
Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone
Thank you for discussing my work. I think this thread was created before I knew this forum existed, to be honest.

Anyway, just dropping in to tell everyone that the whole First Light Chronicles Trilogy is available for free from Smashwords here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3178

Enjoy!
Randolphlalonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolphlalonde View Post
Thank you for discussing my work. I think this thread was created before I knew this forum existed, to be honest.

Anyway, just dropping in to tell everyone that the whole First Light Chronicles Trilogy is available for free from Smashwords here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3178

Enjoy!
Wow there is a deal.

Tried epub, mobi and lrf none had a Table of Contents. Guess I will have to make my own. LOL

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-23-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Randolphlalonde
Author
Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Randolphlalonde has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Wow there is a deal.

Tried epub, mobi and lrf none had a Table of Contents. Guess I will have to make my own. LOL
Smashwords doesn't support linked indexes, but I do have a version of the book ready to go the moment they start accepting source files that feature them.

The Kindle and Mobipocket versions of the First Light Chronicles Omnibus do have indexes, but I can't offer the book for free on their systems, sadly.
Randolphlalonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolphlalonde View Post
Smashwords doesn't support linked indexes, but I do have a version of the book ready to go the moment they start accepting source files that feature them.

The Kindle and Mobipocket versions of the First Light Chronicles Omnibus do have indexes, but I can't offer the book for free on their systems, sadly.
Oh I understand. Ive ran into this with other ebooks from Smashwords. So no worries I have created enough TOC's, I'll get by.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #12
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I read this series when the omnibus first came out on mobipocket, it's nice to see it becoming more widely distributed.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Oh I understand. Ive ran into this with other ebooks from Smashwords. So no worries I have created enough TOC's, I'll get by.
TOC's are very handy in non-fiction work... but, when reading a story you normally read from the first to the last page in that order. I have never missed TOC's in fiction.

Oh... thanks for making this work available, Randolph. I have downloaded it, and look forward to reading it.

Last edited by lene1949; 01-24-2010 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Thanking the author
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got it. Thank you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
Got it. Read it. Loved it.... Purchased all the other books in the series... The first free book hooked me...
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote