Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
If you try to read "A Confederacy of Dunces" you WILL be able to throw a book away.

Tossing "The Stand" away was just a matter of being unwilling to foster the book off on friends, none of whom were into King.

"The Stand" was simply outside of my normal interest. I do that frequently. Sometimes I win, sometimes I loose.

But I am fully confident you and 99.9% of the people here would gladly toss "A Confederacy of Dunces" no matter how interesting it looks.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Duplicate post.

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-02-2010 at 12:29 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post

Tossing "The Stand" away was just a matter of being unwilling to foster the book off on friends, none of whom were into King.
But since you know he's a popular author even if you or your friends don't like him, donating the book would have put it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it. Same with the other book.

I'm not familiar with "A Confederacy of Dunces" but that's another thread anyway.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
I finished reading Under the Dome and I couldn't help being reminded of an old movie/tv show I saw a long time ago in the 1980s.

It might be coming out of left field a bit, and I can't recall the title, but here's what I remember :

One day, a family wakes up in their home only to find that the door and windows are blocked by a mysterious dark grey wall... They tried to get out, can't... I remember at one point something oozing out of the fireplace and it all turned out that this house was just a sophisticated toy house of some future kid that had been hidden inside a furnace or something..

Can't quite remember if it was a movie or a tv show episode, but while the scope of the story isn't the same, I thought the premise a little similar, anyone knows that one?
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Run on over to the January MobileRead Bookclub

area and vote for UNDER THE DOME.

Make it official - VOTE NOW. Here's the link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67922

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #21
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Run on over to the January MobileRead Bookclub

area and vote for UNDER THE DOME.

Make it official - VOTE NOW. Here's the link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67922

Don
Been there, done that.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I voted (where's my sticker).
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I voted (where's my sticker).
Good!

But spread the word, please.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #24
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
If you try to read "A Confederacy of Dunces" you WILL be able to throw a book away.
What? A Confederacy of Dunces is the funniest book I've ever read. I never laugh out loud much at books and I laughed more at that book than I do most film comedies.

That fact that you have such bile for it shows it did something right. If it was truly a bad book, you'd forget about it. Yet it stirred up enough emotion for you to actually throw it away.

Last edited by Dropout; 01-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #25
jament
Enthusiast
jament doesn't litterjament doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I'm with Dropout - I thought it was very funny. And, with all of the adult-type people moving back in and living with their parents, as timely as ever.
jament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #26
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
A Confederacy of Dunces made me laugh like only a few other books!!!
And the story behind its publication is quite interesting, by the way.
But to each, its own (is that the way the saying goes?)
By the way, for some reason I can't stand S King just like I can't stand the Dallas Cowboys, Bill Gates or iPods. These are a few of the things that make me want to scream.
By the way, I did read The long walk and Rage when I was a teenager. I enjoyed them a lot! I'd stay away from them now, though.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #27
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I'm disappointed in the ending - I guess I just expected something more profound for the amount of loss suffered. I did enjoy the fact that I really wanted to read it - it's been a while since I've been drawn into a story and stayed up late to read it. I'm not sure if it's a classic SK book like "The Stand" (just re-read it and so loved the experience).
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #28
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
...I couldn't help being reminded of an old movie/tv show I saw a long time ago in the 1980s.
Reminded me of an old Twilight Zone episode from the 60s: "Stopover in a Quiet Town":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopover_in_a_Quiet_Town

Also reminded of an old Star Trek episode "The Squire of Gothos": just when the seemingly-omnipotent Trelane is about to dispatch the hapless Kirk off to eat roast beef with Jesus, Trelane's glowing parental-units pop-up from some other galaxy/universe/dimension. They apologize to Kirk, and make the unruly Trelane stop playing.

Endings seem to be very difficult to pull off well in horror fiction. You've got the comparatively weak human(s) against the powerful, often already-dead, entities. This helps create tension but makes it easy for the author to write himself into a corner. Authorial trickery ensues, and the reader feels cheated or disappointed. I thought King did a brilliant end-run around this problem with the way he wrapped up "The Stand".

But King's endings started really dropping off for me with The Tommyknockers, which, I read somewhere, roughly coincided with the onset of his heavy substance-abuse problems; don't know if there's a connection. I thought the endings to his "Needful Things" and "The Dark Half" were nothing short of ridiculous. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading the books. A good trip is all I ask.

I liked "Under the Dome", best King in years for me, and the ending, though not all that original, was a big step up from some of his others.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
Reminded me of an old Twilight Zone episode from the 60s: "Stopover in a Quiet Town":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopover_in_a_Quiet_Town

Also reminded of an old Star Trek episode "The Squire of Gothos": just when the seemingly-omnipotent Trelane is about to dispatch the hapless Kirk off to eat roast beef with Jesus, Trelane's glowing parental-units pop-up from some other galaxy/universe/dimension. They apologize to Kirk, and make the unruly Trelane stop playing.

You and I were thinking the exact same thing only your had the episode titles. Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Under the Dome, for me was claustrophobic and really hopeless until the end, which was a bit too simple. BTW, the end reminded me of similar Twilight Zone and Star Trek episodes.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

OMG! The Squire of Gothos is on TV right now!