Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
dobrojoe
dobrojoe began at the beginning.

Device: iMac, iPad, Kindle Page White
Kindle for Mac thumbnails

I have been working on my first Kindle book using Scrivener. I added a placeholder image for the cover and then changed it to the final version. In Kindle for Mac, the original placeholder persists and I can't get it to update. I have deleted the Kindle app and its Application Support File and reinstalled everything. The placeholder thumbnail is still there. There is obviously a cache somewhere but I can't find it.

On my iPad, the cover doesn't show-up at all. It just shows a generic page.

Help.
dobrojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Please keep in mind rule three of the posting guidelines
Quote:
3. Duplication

Do not post the same discussion in more than one forum. Try to pick the most relevant forum for your post.

If it's been a few days since the last comment in your thread and you haven't received a suitable answer to your question, you may bump your thread by commenting in it. You must not ask the same question in a new thread in the same forum.

If you receive no replies, and you think you may have chosen the wrong forum, report your post and ask the moderators to move it to the right forum.
I've deleted your duplicate thread in the Kindle forums.
I suspect you will be more likely to get an answer here anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know where it would be on Mac OSX, on linux the cache is normally separate from the configuration files.

~/.config/ <-- configuration
~/.cache/ <-- cache files

Is there somewhere that OSX keeps application caches?
Hopefully a knowledgeable Mac user can answer.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Hi, the cache is in

~/Library/Application Support/Kindle/

Note that this isn't the main Library found in Macintosh HD, it's the one in your user account home folder so you need to get to it by going to "Go" in the menubar and then "Go to Folder" as it's invisible.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
dobrojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Hi, the cache is in

~/Library/Application Support/Kindle/

Note that this isn't the main Library found in Macintosh HD, it's the one in your user account home folder so you need to get to it by going to "Go" in the menubar and then "Go to Folder" as it's invisible.
I tried that before posting this request.

I deleted the entire Kindle folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Kindle/, I deleted the book from Kindle for Mac. I deleted and reinstalled Kindle for Mac. The old cover is still there and there is NO Kindle folder in Application Support now. I thought it would have created a new one but it hasn't. There must another one hidden somewhere.

Last edited by dobrojoe; 10-20-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

This article suggests that OSX stores caches in ~/Library/Caches/
Old 10-21-2015, 04:31 AM   #7
dobrojoe

Thanks for your suggestion but there is nothing in ~/Library/Caches/ relating to Amazon or Kindle nor in ~/Library/Preferences or in ~/Library/Application Support/Kindle/ (now that I've deleted it).
Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 AM   #8
dobrojoe

I've found it...

~/Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle

I deleted this and the Kindle app built a new one. I double-clicked my .mobi file and it opened in Kindle for Mac and the correct thumbnail was in the list of books.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrojoe View Post
I've found it...

~/Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle

I deleted this and the Kindle app built a new one. I double-clicked my .mobi file and it opened in Kindle for Mac and the correct thumbnail was in the list of books.
Great to see you figured it out. Thanks for sharing the solution too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cache, cover, mac, persists