Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
snapshot 20091001

New "official" snapshot, after a long pause caused by lot of rewrites.

Nearly everything was changed, so just have a look at User's Guide for a list of changes and new features.

Read the Installation Guide carefully — V3 now reformats the storage to use jffs2 filesystem instead of (not really suitable for flash) FAT.

V3 "live" version does not work yet on this snapshot. Sorry.

Downloads: http://openinkpot.org/pub/snapshots/20091001/
Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Thanks, dottedmag! I've been flashing the "unofficial" snapshots since August; it's nice to have an official one. The documentation on the website is much improved and should prove helpful for many users new to OI. Congratulations! Keep up the good work!
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Anyone else tried to load this snapshot. I tried and got weird results. The Openinkpot logo came up but the page flashed each time the bar increased. Once the bar finished, the logo disappeared and now the scren is flashing about every 3 seconds. It's been doing that for 30 minutes now.

Did I do something wrong or what?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Anyone else tried to load this snapshot. I tried and got weird results. The Openinkpot logo came up but the page flashed each time the bar increased. Once the bar finished, the logo disappeared and now the scren is flashing about every 3 seconds. It's been doing that for 30 minutes now.

Did I do something wrong or what?
Funny. It worked fine for me on my BeBook. Have you loaded any of the snapshots since the May version? If not, there's a major modification involved in this version, and the initial installation can take significantly longer than usual. I hope that's your problem and nothing else.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Thanks for the updated user guide, it looks good and is very helpful.

2 quick questions regarding the new snapshot if I may....

1: Is turbo mode available?
2: Can you turn the clock off completely?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
Hi,

Turbo Mode is not available yet. It's promised to be added again in a later snapshot.

FYI, I've tested 20090508 page turning with Turbo Mode ON and OFF and I noticed almost no difference (only when you press the OK button on a page as then you get a garbled screen in Turbo Mode...)
Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
2: Can you turn the clock off completely?
Interesting request. Do you really need it? And what for?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Once the bar finished, the logo disappeared and now the scren is flashing about every 3 seconds.
Something is broken. Try flashing original firmware back, then format internal storage and install OI again.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Interesting request. Do you really need it? And what for?
I just don't like seeing the clock when I am reading and when I am not reading I have my watch to check the time. It's not really important to be able to turn it off as it is only a small annoyance to me, which is far out weighed by all the good stuff in OI, but it would be nice if it was an option.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #10
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
Hi,

Turbo Mode is not available yet. It's promised to be added again in a later snapshot.

FYI, I've tested 20090508 page turning with Turbo Mode ON and OFF and I noticed almost no difference (only when you press the OK button on a page as then you get a garbled screen in Turbo Mode...)
I don't think the page refresh itself is any faster.

However, there is definitely more lag between when the button is pushed and when the page refresh actually begins with turbo turned off.

With turbo off I hit the page turn button when I have about a line left to read. With it turned on I push the page turn button when I have about 1 or 2 words left to read.

It is not a big issue but I have come to like turbo simply because it means I don't have to always be thinking "remember to press the page turn button at the start of the last line". Instead I can pretty much just read as I normally would and press the page turn button just as I finish the page.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #11
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
I just don't like seeing the clock when I am reading
Read the User's Guide. FBReader status bar is pretty customizable.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Hi,

first: Thanks for the super looking user interface!

I like the enhancements in OI, but I'm also rather fond of the ADE epub-reader in the original Hanlin/Bebook firmware. Are there any plans to improve upon the epub parser in OI to bring it on the same level as ADE? Especially the css-support?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Read the User's Guide. FBReader status bar is pretty customizable.
Thanks will have a look.

Now another simple question....

Where do I put my books? What I mean is I can't seem to find any directory or sub-directory called "books" or "library" or anything like that.

I used to go mnt ->storage ->bebook -> books -> After that I added directories for genre and author myself and put the books in them.

That path isn't there anymore.

Sorry if it seems a dumb question but as you can probably tell I'm not super dooper with computers.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Something is broken. Try flashing original firmware back, then format internal storage and install OI again.
OK; First I'm kinda back where I started with the October snapshot.

I did manage to get back to the latest Astak firmware load after several tries. When I tried again to flash the October snapshot, the update said it was the Astak firmeware load. Thinking I had perhaps made a mistake I unzipped the October OI again - same thing. I went ahead anyway and the OI logo came up with the bar progressing as it usually does.

Now it (the reader) is flashing the page at about a 3 second interval.

Suggestions/comments??

BTW I was unable to connect via WinSCP during this time. I didn't try while the Astak firmware was loaded. I had previously connected via WinSCP successfully. I leave it flashing for a while to see if anything happens & then go back to the Astak and see if I can get it to the 9-18 snapshot (which I had been using because nothing later seemed to work).

Edit: So far I can go back to the Astak firmware but none of the OI snapshots I've tried seem to work (May & Oct & 9-18). They sometimes go through the beginning with the OI logo then seem to hang (except the Oct goes into the page flashing at 3 second intervals). I have reformated the internal to FAT while I had it operating with the Astak. firmware.

Last edited by slayda; 10-02-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I used to go mnt ->storage ->bebook -> books -> After that I added directories for genre and author myself and put the books in them.

That path isn't there anymore.

Did you jump from the May OpenInkpot to the 1 October snapshot? If that that is what you did then there will be nothing after /mnt/storage because the entire file system was reformatted, as was mentioned in the first post of this thread. So, if you went from the May OpenInkpot to the October OpenInkpot you will have to recreate your private file system in /mnt/storage.