Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #16
xav
xav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Hello,
I had the same problem today, I've updated Calibre to the last version 4.4 and it works now fine. My previous version was v 3.8 for info.
xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #17
vike1108
vike1108 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Just wanted to report I was able to download The Economist's Nov 23-29 issue without any problems. I did nothing to update/change recipe and did not upgrade Calibre to the latest version before trying (i.e., everything on the Calibre side was exactly as it was when having problems downloading the Nov 15-22 issue). Whatever it was must have been on the host end, perhaps as Kovid suggested something region specific (I'm in the U.S.). In any case, it's cleared up for me now, hopefully for everyone else as well.
vike1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2019, 07:37 PM   #18
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
To add to the sample, I (US resident) was also experiencing this for the current issue (I think I downloaded on Friday 11-22), but it happily seems to have been resolved without any action on my part other than trying again today.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #19
Bola de Fogo
Bola de Fogo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
For me there are times when it goes fine and others when the problem appears again
Bola de Fogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:50 AM   #20
technicaltitch
technicaltitch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I had the issue from London and Ethiopia this week, then second attempt in London worked, so given London is their prime paid market and Ethiopia very much not, and I got the opposite last week, it doesn't look geographical. Maybe they are A-B testing the impact or reliability of servers with stronger protection.

Last edited by technicaltitch; 11-29-2019 at 03:16 AM.
technicaltitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2019, 01:53 AM   #21
Rydon
Rydon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle via calibre
Hello,

Thought I'd add into this. The Economist paywall seems to have changed. Page behaviour is now that the full article text loads, then some script operates which removes the latter part of the story from the page and replaces that text with a 'subscribe to read more' section.

If you block scripts from executing in Chrome you can view articles. Suspect the recipe should be updated to block scripts too.
Rydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:29 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The recipe does not run scripts, at all. And as far as I know the economist paywall has always operated like that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #23
goios
goios began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 10th gen
to add my grain of salt, from Sydney Australia, the abridged version gets downloaded every now and again. For now I haven't missed any issue, but for example couldn't yet download this week's issue yet.

Also tried downloading behind nordvpn but the problem is the same.

After a picture and one paragraph, articles end like this:

Choose us for news analysis that respects your time and intelligence
Subscribe to The Economist
Save on annual and multi-year packages
View subscription options →
Cancel at any time. If you’re unsatisfied, we offer a money-back guarantee.
We filter out the noise of the daily news cycle and analyse the trends that matter
We give you rigorous, deeply researched and fact-checked journalism. That’s why Americans named us their most trusted news source in 2017
Available wherever you are—in print, digital and, uniquely, in audio, fully narrated by professional broadcasters
goios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:48 PM   #24
finleyz
finleyz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Unhappy

Confirmed that this recipe is broken at my end. It can no longer generate the full economist version. I tried IPs from Japan and the U.S. but neither worked.
finleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:47 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply have to wait till they finish whatever A/B testing they are doing and the server responses stabilize, then the recipe can be adapted as needed. Right now given that the server decides randomnly to send or not send the modified HTML its kinda hard to fix.

For instance I had to run the download 3 times today before I got the non-abridged version.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #26
finleyz
finleyz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Simply have to wait till they finish whatever A/B testing they are doing and the server responses stabilize, then the recipe can be adapted as needed. Right now given that the server decides randomnly to send or not send the modified HTML its kinda hard to fix.

For instance I had to run the download 3 times today before I got the non-abridged version.
Yes, I was able to download a non-abridged version late today.
finleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #27
xav

I'm not a developer, so just an idea if it's not too much work: is there a way to change the periodic title with "[abridged, pls DL again!] The Economist" if we pick this wrong version (so if the periodic contains the key words/phrases contained in the page that abridges an article) ?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #28
xav

...Or even delete it and download automatically a second time ?
Old 12-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #29
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
Happened again to me Friday AM during automatic run and when I tried again Saturday early AM. I use the recipe that has a rectangular icon. I tried the other recipe also and still got the truncated version. Any tips on whether to wait some amount of time to try again or to keep trying right after truncated version until it works? Thanks.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #30
xav

Hi Dan23, As Kovid explained, this is not due to the recipe or Calibre Program, but to the servers @The Economist.

I had the problem yesterday, 1st time abridged and more or less 5 mn later, started again an got the complete version.