Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
paoletto
paoletto began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 10
Bulk metadata editing

Hi, I'm somewhat new of Calibre.
I started to use it to organize my previously non-organized ebooks.

My workflow currently is:
- fetch the isbn from the books (either via the Extract ISBN plugin, or by hand, where this fails)
- Download metadata from internet
- click on review the metadata for each single book
- - tipically revert the ID: field for each book, as i prefer to keep the just found ISBN rather than all the google and amazon IDs
- - click next
- - repeat

The problem:
when I do revert the ID for a book, the default selected button changes from next to cancel. The consequence is that i have to click by hand next after having reverted the ID field for every book.
Is there a keyboard shortcut to advance the bulk editing so that i do not have to tediously click in two different places for each book i process?

I have also another question: is there a way to embed the metadata without having to save to disk the files? I ask because it seems to me that sometimes Calibre fails to embed the metadata for some books upon "write to disk", and i do not understand why.. Sometimes even on PDFs, which shouldnt be a big deal. Does calibre use xMP for metadata?
paoletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just Customize the (individual or master/all) Metadata Sources so they don't supply the fields you don't want changed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
paoletto

Thanks for your answer, TheDucks.
I just tried. However it seems there's no "Identifier" among the metadata fields that i can select/deselect..
This in Calibre Preferences -> Metadata download.

Should i be looking somewhere else instead?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My bad. That field is a key to other downloads (covers...)
If you use the 'Review' option of the Ctrl-D mode download, you can use the field-copy arrow to use the original. I use this a lot as I hat having the Series name in the Title, so I use it to keep my simple 'Title'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
clibre does not save metadata in the ebook files, this is by design. You can manually instruct it to do so by selecting some books and using the Embed Metadata tool.

Send-to-device and save-to-disk will have the same effect, on the exported copies only.
Polish books will embed metadata for EPUB/AZW3 as well as making other changes.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-29-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
paoletto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My bad. That field is a key to other downloads (covers...)
If you use the 'Review' option of the Ctrl-D mode download, you can use the field-copy arrow to use the original. I use this a lot as I hat having the Series name in the Title, so I use it to keep my simple 'Title'
Yes, that's what i do now. However, when i do bulk updates, then i click on that arrow, and then i have to go down and click the "next" button, because, as soon as i click the arrow, the auto selected button becomes "Cancel".

So it would be nice to have either a way to, as you suggested, disable that field from the updating, or to move to the next book in the Review mode after download. Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
clibre does not save metadata in the ebook files, this is by design. You can manually instruct it to do so by selecting some books and using the Embed Metadata tool.

Send-to-device and save-to-disk will have the same effect, on the exported copies only.
Polish books will embed metadata for EPUB/AZW3 as well as making other changes
That sounds like what i need! But i just checked and, while i have the embed metadata plugin enabled, i cant find any icon or context menu option to trigger it. How do i do it?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Preferences ==> Interface ==> Toolbars

Select the toolbar you wish to edit, and add the Embed Metadata tool.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
paoletto

Thanks! found that