Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
kimmieg
kimmieg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iTouch, Droid phone
Grants for eReaders in Education?

Does anyone know of any foundations, organizations, etc. that provide grants funding eReaders to be be used in a school setting? The elementary school where I teach, like most, has been hit with huge budget cuts. Since our school is NOT Title I, we don't receive additional funds. (Don't even get me started on that!)

With the large number of free books and the capability to download books from our local library system, I'm thinking that eReaders would provide a cost effective means of providing reading materials for students. As well, it would be an awesome means of engaging students.

Thoughts?

Kim
kimmieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An "elementary school" is young children, yes? eBook readers and young children really don't mix; they are pretty delicate things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
kimmieg
kimmieg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iTouch, Droid phone
Harry,

I was mainly thinking of using them with upper grades (10-11 years old). When the class is doing a novel study using either a paperback or hardback, the copies tend to wear out quickly. We usually have to replace the sets every 2-3 years. I'm just brainstorming and trying to find means of more effectively using our very limited funds.

With proper training and supervision, I think this age group could handle the device with the care necessary.

Kim
kimmieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
And you need to sure you won't be violating any provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ada

Colleges and universities are not the only systems affected by ADA. From the article linked: "Ali said the policy also would apply to any K-12 schools wanting to use e-readers in the classroom, but so far only the school district in Clearwater, Fla., has expressed such interest. She said the Education Department is monitoring that district to be sure they meet federal requirements." (emphasis added)

With special needs kids being mainstreamed into regular classes, a disabled child could be enrolled in any class at any time, and blindness is not the only disability that could hamper using an ereader.

I believe that the lawsuit and the letter from the Dept of Justice and Dept of Education will severely impede the adoption of ereaders by school districts.

Last edited by gastan; 07-14-2010 at 10:29 AM.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote