Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
The Invisible iBookstore

Unless I'm missing something, it appears to be impossible to browse or even see Apple's iBookstore unless you own an iPad. (Or maybe an iTouch?) Aside from being a peculiar way to do business, it's frustrating for those who might simply want to know what the store looks like, and what it carries. (Not to mention, authors who might want to know if their own books have shown up there yet. Ahem.)

Anybody know anything more about this than appears to meet the eye?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
That's it for now--can only be viewed on the iPad.

Agree that it's silly.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The bookstore can only be viewed using iBooks. But iBooks will be a part of OS 4.0 due in the summer for the iPhone/Touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple... If that's what the publisher cartel pinned their hopes on with the agency mess, I wish them good luck. I won't be helping bail them out.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Unless I'm missing something, it appears to be impossible to browse or even see Apple's iBookstore unless you own an iPad. (Or maybe an iTouch?) Aside from being a peculiar way to do business, it's frustrating for those who might simply want to know what the store looks like, and what it carries. (Not to mention, authors who might want to know if their own books have shown up there yet. Ahem.)

Anybody know anything more about this than appears to meet the eye?

Yup. Ditto.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
looks nice, Mr. Carver

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5324/carver.png

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1052/photoo.png

Last edited by kjk; 05-04-2010 at 04:20 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aha! Thanks, KJK!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Yup. Ditto.
as does yours, Mr. Allison, except for the rather odd double-spacing of text.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/761/photo1yu.png
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4940/photo2r.png
Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
as does yours, Mr. Allison, except for the rather odd double-spacing of text.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/761/photo1yu.png
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4940/photo2r.png
Ugh, that double-spacing really is terrible. That probably wouldn't stop me from buying such a book, but it would certainly make me want to edit it into something more sensible.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
The double spacing was something I was concerned about since I used Smashwords to get into the ibookstore. For some unexplained reason my epub files have an extra space between the paragraphs. When I create my own I don't have this issue. At least I got into the bookstore which is great, but it would be nice to know more about the how the store works, etc.
davidhburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I agree that it's strange and frustrating that you can't view the ibookstore unless you have the ipad. I had to post a question in the ipad forum here just to confirm that my ebooks were present.

It would seem logical that the store should at least be viewable so people can see the selection. And why not let them buy ibooks and through itunes anyway? It seems that Apple could market the ipad to ebook readers better if that market could actually get into their store.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Apple doesn't care about selling books. They only want to use the bookstore to get people to buy their hardware. A few 100 million they can make by selling books doesn't matter to them. So those of us who don't want to buy ipads don't matter, they don't want our business.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Apple doesn't care about selling books. They only want to use the bookstore to get people to buy their hardware. A few 100 million they can make by selling books doesn't matter to them. So those of us who don't want to buy ipads don't matter, they don't want our business.
I doubt that that's entirely true. I don't think they would have troubled to stand the publishing industry on its head over the pricing model if they didn't want to sell books. (I don't think even Jobs has that big an ego.)

But they might have discovered that it's harder than they think to set up a really good bookstore.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
kjk

Quote:
But they might have discovered that it's harder than they think to set up a really good bookstore.
Yes. It really is the early days for them, both with the iBook store and the reading app, both of which need a lot of work. The store seems to work by search only..I mean, there isn't even a separate Science Fiction/Fantasy category yet!

But the iPad has been out only a month or so. Once they roll out iPhone 4.0 and put the iBooks store on every Touch and iPhone out there, I have a feeling things will change.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
I doubt that that's entirely true. I don't think they would have troubled to stand the publishing industry on its head over the pricing model if they didn't want to sell books. (I don't think even Jobs has that big an ego.)

I suspect you're wrong about the ego. Can't remember the source but I remember reading a quote from Larry Ellison comparing his attitude with Steve Job's. Since I can't quote it exactly I'll paraphrase-Ellison said something like:

I want the best the world has to offer-but for Steve, that's not good enough.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote