Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
erikk
Enthusiast
erikk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
PRS-505 Lost!! Buy 300, 600, Kindle or 505? have a lot LRF/LRX files

OK so I LOVED my PRS-505 and lost it recently. Now I find I can't even buy the PRS-505 anymore (well at least not from Sony) and the new model is basically the same price. So I have to decide what to buy to replace my beloved PRS-505.

I would buy the kindle first choice since I like the wireless book downloads and I have more confidence that Amazon will survive as an ebook supplier than Sony (plus they'll have a larger library). My current library is the only concern here and I'll get into that below.

I'd buy the 300 second if it was basically identical to the 505 with only the lack of memory card (basically only concerned if the screen is as good). I like the price and to be honest I never used any advanced features on the 505 and if the 300 is the same just minus the extra bells and whistles (MP3 meh); I just read books.

I'd buy the 600 if it's even only just as good as the 505 in terms of the screen and the kindle and 300 weren't an option. The extra features are just nice bells and whistles. I'm not loving the fact that people are mentioning the screen and glare, I do do a lot of reading in less than ideal lighting conditions and am concerned it'd bug me. If people weren't mentioning that issue I'd probably have just gotten the 600 already.

I would buy the 505 again because I know I love it but first I'd have to find one in a 3rd party store and the ones I've found with quick searches are basically the same price as the newer 600 and why not get the newer unit if it's even only just as good as the 505 with some nice extra bells and whistles (even if I'd probably not use them; who knows maybe at some point I'd want to).

So here's the kicker and the dilemna. I have a ton of LRF files, a ton of unlocked LIT files, some LRX I bought from the Sony store and random other formats found online (PDF, TXT, etc). Just how hard is it to put those on the Kindle? Can you even put a locked Sony LRX file on the kindle? I could live without the few LRX files I have, if there was a compelling argument but it's something to consider. But I definitely don't want to have to give up the LIT, etc files I have.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
erikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post
I would buy the 505 again because I know I love it but first I'd have to find one in a 3rd party store and the ones I've found with quick searches are basically the same price as the newer 600 and why not get the newer unit if it's even only just as good as the 505 with some nice extra bells and whistles (even if I'd probably not use them; who knows maybe at some point I'd want to).
Don't know what retailers are near you, but my local Target is clearancing out their 505's for $230ish (apparently varies by store) and Wal-Mart has it for $229

Quote:
I'd buy the 300 second if it was basically identical to the 505 with only the lack of memory card (basically only concerned if the screen is as good). I like the price and to be honest I never used any advanced features on the 505 and if the 300 is the same just minus the extra bells and whistles (MP3 meh); I just read books.
The screen is an inch smaller, but most if not all reviews agree that it's pretty much a smaller stripped down 505 for a nice price. The screen is the same Viziplex tech as the 505.

Quote:
So here's the kicker and the dilemna. I have a ton of LRF files, a ton of unlocked LIT files, some LRX I bought from the Sony store and random other formats found online (PDF, TXT, etc). Just how hard is it to put those on the Kindle? Can you even put a locked Sony LRX file on the kindle? I could live without the few LRX files I have, if there was a compelling argument but it's something to consider. But I definitely don't want to have to give up the LIT, etc files I have.
At this point nothing can be done with the LRX files. Supposedly when Sony switches their store to epub in a few months you'll be able to re-download your books as epubs which can be de-DRM'd and converted.

LIT's are no problem they're no harder to convert to Mobi/prc for the Kindle than they are to convert to LRF for the Sony. Basically if Calibre will convert it to LRF for the Sony then it will convert it to Mobi/prc for Kindle.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-28-2009 at 07:21 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I agree with Anemic Oak -- just get another 505.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I have a 505 that I love. I went to Staples to check out the demo models and I would not buy either of them. The 300 has a good screen, but is way too small. I found the grayness and the glare of the 600 made reading noticeably more difficult.

I would but another 505 in a heartbeat if anything happened to mine.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I have a 300 and don't really notice the size difference after reading several novels. (I believe toomanybooks above hasn't actually read any books on a 300 for comparison.) But the 505 is great too. DO wireless downloads really matter that much? I keep 100+ books on mine and just hook up my Reader occasionally when I borrow library books--a big plus if you have access to a lending e-library. ANnd with more formats supported natively (including ePub), I think Sony may end up with the larger available library to choose from.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did read a bit on the 300. It requires too many page turns for my taste.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
yeah, it could be the same type reasoning if I see the same book in regular size paperback and a smaller version of same paperback. It is smaller, it is more portable , but it is less on page and the print is smaller , I think books could be any size but I think the standard size is the one most people buy. I do have a small bible and regular sized one , but I prefer to read the regular sized one.
505 and 300 is same type reasoning. They both can read the same book but one is smaller than the other, some people like it smaller and more portable and some like it the regular size.
Now the 505 also comes with mp3 player, sd slot and dual slot, comes with nice cover, and is hackable so you can adjust fonts and other cool stuff. So if they are both 200 dollars , I would go with 505 over 300.
But everybody has different needs and preferences , so it's not a right or wrong question, just what you feel comfortable with in most situations.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
erikk
Enthusiast
erikk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Thanks for all the advice. Didn't realize that Walmart and Target carried these. Headed over to my local Walmart and grabbed a 505 for $229. I'll hold off on any possible conversion to Kindle or new version when sony does or doesn't come out with a replacement that's definitely worth it.
erikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I keep 100+ books on mine and just hook up my Reader occasionally when I borrow library books--a big plus if you have access to a lending e-library.
Dr. Moze, or anyone, does the number of books on the Reader affect the speed of accessing books, or page turns? I have both the 300 and 505 Readers, and so far I only have about 10 books on each. One other thing, is there any way to tell how much of the Reader's capacity you are using? Thank you.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Dr. Moze, or anyone, does the number of books on the Reader affect the speed of accessing books, or page turns? I have both the 300 and 505 Readers, and so far I only have about 10 books on each. One other thing, is there any way to tell how much of the Reader's capacity you are using? Thank you.
I used to keep about 300-400 books on my 505 and never noticed a slow down. The only time it was slower is when it's 'processing' after you disconnect from a computer.

I don't recall if you can tell how much space you're using on the reader itself. You can of course tell in the Sony software or Windows Explorer (or using get info on a Mac) to tell how much space is used/free.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
In retrospect,I probably should've bought a new 505 or had my 505 repaired last fall.When you love something,why mess with it.Good to know that some local retailers are selling it-although I think I may get some PRS300s as gifts for some people this holiday season.....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
toomanybooks
Addict

When I first got my Sony I put 200+ books on it. It started to restart two or three times a day so I took the books down to under 150 and haven't had any problems since. This is on a 505. Sony might have fixed this issue with the new readers.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't recall if you can tell how much space you're using on the reader itself. You can of course tell in the Sony software or Windows Explorer (or using get info on a Mac) to tell how much space is used/free.
How do you tell in the Sony EBL software, as a matter of interest?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How do you tell in the Sony EBL software, as a matter of interest?
As I recall you select the reader when it's connected and the info is displayed at the bottom of the software screen. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly and it tells you how much space is free, as opposed to space used. It's been quite a while since I used the software.