Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
arlette
arlette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ARC
Kobo ARc does not communicate with PC

I read the manual and tried all suggestions made (for Kobo-readers) here but still my computer nor lapton recongises my kobo arc as a usb data-device.
It's frustrating to have a brand new tablet/reader that does not cumminicate with the computer.
I only can update data via the alternative of 'dropbox'.
I already updated the computersoftware.
arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Strange. Windows 7 recognizes my Arc instantly (though I'm a little wary of the lack of the normal USB mass storage device icon in the systray for safe unmounting :/), without any prompting for drivers or fiddling or anything.

What OS are you using?

Which USB ports are you connecting to and are you using an extension cable to do so? (some devices, I've noticed, only connect properly when done via a single cable, and then only through the rear USB ports)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
arlette

I have windows 7. Sometimes it recognizes the ARC but I never can copy data.
I tried 3 different USB ports on the front side of my PC. It's to complicated to attatch the micro USB cable at the back of my computer (is build in).
So I hope there is an other way. If not, I'll keep using dropbox.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
ibabob
ibabob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
It should work right away in windows 7, when you connect it, you should see a notification pop up on the bottom right corner of the Arc saying "Connected as media device". If it says "Connected as camera" tap on the notification and chose Media Device (MTP) in the "Connect As" section.

If this does not work more, you either have a bad microUSB cable or maybe the connector on you Kobo is defective.

ALSO : I noticed that the alignment of the connector on my Arc is not perfect and the first few times I connected it I had to push quite hard.
ibabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlette View Post
I have windows 7. Sometimes it recognizes the ARC but I never can copy data.
I tried 3 different USB ports on the front side of my PC. It's to complicated to attatch the micro USB cable at the back of my computer (is build in).
So I hope there is an other way. If not, I'll keep using dropbox.
What? You can't just plug the cable in the back once and then drape it over your case when not in use like I do? Weird... :P [when connected, my devices just sit on top. Easiest that way]
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
arlette

I pluged in the cable at the back and draped it over the case. But even that does not garantee I can copy data.
I just copied one e-book and a number of music files. When trying to copy a movie, the computer did not recognice my kobo any more.
Strange.
Nevertheless, I don't regret to have bought it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited by arlette; 12-03-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Either you have a dodgy USB connector on the Arc, or else the cable itself has gone bad. Do you have access to any other devices you can test the cable with (to see if it's the cable)? Or a friend's computer you can try the Arc and the cable with (to make sure it's not the USB ports on your computer)? With any luck, it's just the cable's fault and you can spend 5e or whatever to get a new one. Otherwise, consider getting the Arc exchanged for a new one...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
arlette

It's not a bad cable. I tried 2 different cables and they are both working with other devices. I already tried on the laptop of the kids. I mostly can see the arc, but can not copy data on it. I gues I'll have to contact the shop and ask for repare or replacement.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
I find it odd that the arc does not come with its own USB cable. Anyway I am using the one from my phone but it is quite loose so I keep losing the connection. It fits tightly in my phone so I don't understand the problem

Last edited by ppowell002; 12-03-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Auto correct is bad!
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
dtmitcam
dtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura aboutdtmitcam has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc
Are there any event viewer logs in Windows 7 that might shed some light on why the connection to the ARC is being disconnected?
Get to them by running eventvwr.msc from a command prompt or from the search box in windows 7 start menu
Check out the Application and System logs ...
dtmitcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
rncomputes
rncomputes began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Strange. Windows 7 recognizes my Arc instantly (though I'm a little wary of the lack of the normal USB mass storage device icon in the systray for safe unmounting :/), without any prompting for drivers or fiddling or anything.

What OS are you using?

Which USB ports are you connecting to and are you using an extension cable to do so? (some devices, I've noticed, only connect properly when done via a single cable, and then only through the rear USB ports)
I've done some experimenting with my Arc on numerous PC's. It worked fine on an HP Laptop, 3 Homebulilt Asus motherboard XP computers in Front and Back USB ports and on some using an extension cable. But on my main Windows 7 32 bit OS computer on an SSD drive I have all sorts of issues. It will only connect as a PTP device directly connected in a rear USB Port. If I use a extension cable or Front usb port, it reports unknown device. When I used my Win 7 32 bit OS from one of my back up hard drives the Arc connected using PTP and MTP configurations. But only directly connected to the rear usb port. Connected Anywhere else, or using extension cables I got unknown device error. When I tried it on a Win 7 64 bit OS It connected ok on rear usb port in both configurations, but when I used an extension cable it worked sometimes but most of the time it gave a code 10 error message in Device Manager and did not work. When used on the front usb ports I got unknown device message. So on some computers there were no problems and on others there were lots of problems. I have had no other problems with any usb device on my main computer until I got the Arc. Iv'e had no problems with digital and video cameras, all sorts of usb sticks and attachments. Seems there are a ton of incompatibilities between the computer(motherboard), Windows, and the Kobo Arc.
rncomputes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Anniegirl
Anniegirl began at the beginning.

Issues with the new Kobo Arc

I am having the same issues as several other people. My computer (Windows 7) sees the Arc, but I cannot load EPUB files to it from the computer. I have been working with Kobo support, but we haven't discovered a resolve. I can plug a Kobo Glo into my computer and everything works perfectly. I've tried different computers and different USB cables and ports without any success.
Anniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
LWG
LWG began at the beginning.

Does anyone have a resolution to the Arc not connecting to PC with a USB. I bought a new Kobo Arc a week ago and since it doesn't come with USB I've just now picked up a new micro USB cord for connecting to my PC. When I connect it to my XP laptop it charges, but the PC does not see the Arc at all. No USB connected device. I tried with two other computers (one Windows 7) and same issue. I've never had this happen before with any USB device connected to any of my computers. The arc will charge but that is it.
A bit frustrating as I have to now move files a few at a time with the Dropbox.
LWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried changing the mode that the Arc is attached from PTP to MTP? (On my Nexus I click on the notification of attachment to the PC and can change mode there.)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWG View Post
Does anyone have a resolution to the Arc not connecting to PC with a USB. I bought a new Kobo Arc a week ago and since it doesn't come with USB I've just now picked up a new micro USB cord for connecting to my PC. When I connect it to my XP laptop it charges, but the PC does not see the Arc at all. No USB connected device. I tried with two other computers (one Windows 7) and same issue. I've never had this happen before with any USB device connected to any of my computers. The arc will charge but that is it.
A bit frustrating as I have to now move files a few at a time with the Dropbox.
Did you look under Start -> Computer? Should be listed there when you're plugged in, but *NOT* give an icon in the status bar like a normal removable mass storage device does (and doesn't need to be safely unmounted, just unplugged).