Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
dan4877
dan4877 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Considering swithc to the Nexus 7 from iphone...

I've had an iphone for over a year now and love it. However, I'm considering switching to the Nexus 7. My only drawback is I feel safer with an Apple product. Both with durability and security. Anyone with the Nexus 7 that can tell me how it runs, how durable... etc. would be much appreciated.
dan4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4877 View Post
Both with durability and security.
Apple have a pretty terrible security record. Robustness of parts of the software, maybe... but durability of hardware?

Good post, will bite the bait again.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Do you mean Galaxy Nexus? Nexus 7 is a WiFi only 7" tablet, Galaxy Nexus is the phone.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've had an iphone for over a year now and love it. However, I'm considering switching to the Nexus 7. My only drawback is I feel safer with an Apple product. Both with durability and security. Anyone with the Nexus 7 that can tell me how it runs, how durable... etc. would be much appreciated.
The Nexus 7 seems like a rather curious replacement for an iPhone. You're replacing a phone with a 7" WiFi-only tablet with no phone? Never mind comparing apples with oranges; this is more like comparing apples with combine-harvesters
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Apple have a pretty terrible security record.
They do? I've had an iPhone for years, and haven't come across any security issues in that time.
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Apple have a pretty terrible security record. Robustness of parts of the software, maybe... but durability of hardware?
I'd like to see a few sources on that.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
We have very negative personal experiences with 6 iphones (3G to 4) among family and friends. Only the final one (a replacement for a new iphone 4 that lost sound after 1 week) is working flawlessly until now (about 10 months). And we had 2 extremely unpleasant run ins with Apple service departments in Taiwan and Hong Kong. It doesn't have to be a representative sample, but definitely makes me think twice before touching Apple products.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
We have very negative personal experiences with 6 iphones (3G to 4) among family and friends. Only the final one (a replacement for a new iphone 4 that lost sound after 1 week) is working flawlessly until now (about 10 months). And we had 2 extremely unpleasant run ins with Apple service departments in Taiwan and Hong Kong. It doesn't have to be a representative sample, but definitely makes me think twice before touching Apple products.
I honestly think you've just had a run of bad luck there. I know many people with iPhones (and have one myself) and nobody I know's had the slightest problem.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I am not sure why you are comparing a tablet to a phone but if you are thinking of upgrade from reading on a phone to a tablet the experience will be much more pleasurable on the Nexus 7.

As far as security I think for the novice person they are the same. They both have their strength and vulnerabilities. One can argue that Apples restrictions on users and devs give more of a security. For the more informed user Android becomes more secure because they can better control security access.

On reliability honestly I have to say they're on par with each other. I think today the differentiation is more what features are important to you and how those features are implemented. I've only known of one person who has ever had their smartphone stop working it was an iPhone 3G the person replaced with an iPhone 4. One thing I will say is iPhones are very stylish but that also has a side effect of being more fragile. Half of the people I know that have iPhones have cracked screens. I don't know if that is just an excuse to upgrade . I know I'd be one of those stats if I owned the iPhone

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-27-2012 at 02:10 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Off the top of my head I can think of 15 people I know who have iPhones. Only two have experienced any issues. The first got a dodgy (hw issues not dodgy dodgy ) iphone4 which was replaced during the first week, the other dropped an old 3G this year and cracked the screen(yes that's 3G not 3GS)

We replaced both the front glass and LCD of the iPhone for £10 plus 30 mins of time following a YouTube how to

security wise, for an average user, the apple app store may be safer in the sense everything is vetted so it's less likely malware will sneak in (but it can happen). Android is easier to get malware onto the store but google do pull apps when they realise and with android you have finer control over permissions plus you're not tied to forever buying what your overlord deems suitable

Tl;dr Expect security flaws with any device, nobody is perfect. Apple's protects you from yourself a little more, android expects you to be responsible for yourself

Both decent devices, I'd be happy with either. Only phone I've used and disliked to date is the windows phone.

P.s I'm assuming you're on about the phone version not the tablet as others have mentioned.

Last edited by JoeD; 07-27-2012 at 03:21 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They do? I've had an iPhone for years, and haven't come across any security issues in that time.
Hum, argument from personal ignorance...

Google on: security issues iphone

and you will see a lot of them.

Last edited by tompe; 07-27-2012 at 05:43 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
dan4877

Ya... the galaxy nexus sorry... haha. I haven't had any issues with my iphone outside of losing my music when I updated it using a different pc than the one I put the music on the phone from.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
dan4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I am not sure why you are comparing a tablet to a phone but if you are thinking of upgrade from reading on a phone to a tablet the experience will be much more pleasurable on the Nexus 7.

As far as security I think for the novice person they are the same. They both have their strength and vulnerabilities. One can argue that Apples restrictions on users and devs give more of a security. For the more informed user Android becomes more secure because they can better control security access.

On reliability honestly I have to say they're on par with each other. I think today the differentiation is more what features are important to you and how those features are implemented. I've only known of one person who has ever had their smartphone stop working it was an iPhone 3G the person replaced with an iPhone 4. One thing I will say is iPhones are very stylish but that also has a side effect of being more fragile. Half of the people I know that have iPhones have cracked screens. I don't know if that is just an excuse to upgrade . I know I'd be one of those stats if I owned the iPhone

=X=
The screen cracking is definitely an issue I've seen. However I've always used XOskins (xoskins.com) screen protectors on my phones and they've been flawless. The galaxy has gorilla glass though right?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
The screen cracking is definitely an issue I've seen. However I've always used XOskins (xoskins.com) screen protectors on my phones and they've been flawless. The galaxy has gorilla glass though right?
Yes it has gorilla glass, virtually all higher end android phones have gorilla glass.

My son cracked his iTouch after a week of ownership. The genius bar replace his device and after that we bought an otterbox for his touch. 1+ years later we have not had another incident.

The Galaxy Nexus is an awesome phone many pundits have claimed that with jelly bean (Android 4.1) it once again has become the best phone on the market.

If I was to get a phone today that would be my phone, we'll I'm also considering the Note, he build is solid and sleek. With the upgrade the os has gotten much better. What is holding me back is my original Galaxy S is still running strong I have no reason to upgrade... If only it had a frágil screen
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes it has gorilla glass, virtually all higher end android phones have gorilla glass.
No it does not seem to have Gorilla Glass but uses an unbranded alternative:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/11...not-a-problem/

Also Nexus S doen not have Gorilla Glass.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote