Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
lobs3537
lobs3537 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
**NEED HELP** just got a kindle.

I want to change the default dictionary from english to a spanish to english dictionary so when i'm reading spanish books, papers, etc etc I can look up the word.

I've already rooted the kindle and searched google extensively and cannot seem to find the correct method. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lobs3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
lobs3537
lobs3537 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
is this even possible
lobs3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobs3537 View Post
is this even possible
It should be possible. I do not have a Kindle Fire to test this on, but Google found this:
http://www.techshouters.com/change-k...ry-dictionary/
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It should be possible. I do not have a Kindle Fire to test this on, but Google found this:
http://www.techshouters.com/change-k...ry-dictionary/
Sadly (in a pathetic sort of way) that article is TITLED as if it applied to the Fire, but the instructions are clearly only for the e-ink kindles (with 5-way controllers, in fact).

I'm not aware of any similar process for the Fire. It doesn't support mobi dictionaries like the e-ink Kindles use.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
stanleystarrh
Banned
stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Were you able to do it?! Very interested
stanleystarrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Sadly (in a pathetic sort of way) that article is TITLED as if it applied to the Fire, but the instructions are clearly only for the e-ink kindles (with 5-way controllers, in fact).

I'm not aware of any similar process for the Fire. It doesn't support mobi dictionaries like the e-ink Kindles use.
Oops... Sorry about that. Being in a hurry is sometimes not so helpful...

Okay... I Googled it again, and here is a different result (a YouTube video that actually SHOWS a kindle fire):

Unfortunately, it is only a demonstration showing that it CAN be done, not a HowTo guide.

There are reports that amazon customer service tells people that you CANNOT change the default dictionary to anything other than the default 7 monolingual dictionaries.

You may need to root your kindle to change the default dictionary as shown in the above YouTube video. But once you root it, ANYTHING is possible.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-18-2012 at 08:50 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You may need to root your kindle to change the default dictionary as shown in the above YouTube video. But once you root it, ANYTHING is possible.
Yeah. Weird that the video had not a single a word accompanying it to explain what was done. It's like he just posted the video to taunt someone.

Speaking of useless videos, (and I'm just taking this moment to vent) I was reading about another Fire trick where someone posted a message saying to the effect:
"Download this .apk from from this link, put it here, and click this setting. Here, I made a youtube video...."
So I look at the video. The video consists of, precisely, annoying background music, a distracting background graphic, and scrolling over it, the EXACT SAME TEXT from the posted message: "Download this .apk from this link..." and that's it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote