Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
FlightCrew and Norton IS

Yesterday I tried installing FlightCrew, and Norton Internet Security immediately deleted it. Apparently NIS has a new idea: if a program hasn't been used by a lot of people, NIS assumes it's malware. I suppose I have to temporarily disable NIS to install the program?
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I can assure you that there is no malware in FlightCrew. I'll leave convincing your AV software of that fact up to you.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Valloic,
In my post, I didn't mean to imply the program included malware, but that I was wondering if there was any way to install it except to temporarily disable Norton IS. I finally decided to disable NIS, installed FC and ran it on one of my epubs that was validated by epub check.

FC was very fast, and show no problems except one I hadn't seen before:

The <item> element's "media-type" attribute has value "application/x-font-opentype", but the file's media type is "application/vnd.ms-opentype".

Apparently this error was created by Sigil. How can I insure it doesn't happen in the future without unzipping the file and correcting it there?
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Valloic,
In my post, I didn't mean to imply the program included malware, but that I was wondering if there was any way to install it except to temporarily disable Norton IS. I finally decided to disable NIS, installed FC and ran it on one of my epubs that was validated by epub check.

The <item> element's "media-type" attribute has value "application/x-font-opentype", but the file's media type is "application/vnd.ms-opentype".

Apparently this error was created by Sigil. How can I insure it doesn't happen in the future without unzipping the file and correcting it there?
Bob
Almost all good security programs have the ability to set a specific program to "Ignore or exclude", because false positives can occur , or you wish to reduce the overhead of frequent checks of specific folders whose contents have been vetted before they were placed within.

An "Ask before removal" setting is also desirable. because MDB type applications can trash years of accumulations for one entry (that you might be able to purge before damage occurs.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post

Bob
The best way would be to report the problem on Sigil's issue tracker. That way the problem will be fixed for everyone.

This time you don't have to since I've read your post here and fixed this just now (actually I thought I fixed this one a while ago... guess not).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I found Norton's false positives and no real way to deal with them rather annoying. My solution, say goodbye to Norton and never let it on my system again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote