Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Read Borrowed Library Books on the Cybook - How to Fix the Date

I searched the forum and didn't find this even though it was there, so I am just making a post with the instructions right here, hopefully it will be easier for others to find.
Info copied from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=21988&page=2

Problem: your borrowed ebook won't open, you're getting a message "this book is not active yet".

How to set the cybook internal clock so your books will open:

1) In a text editor, create a file with the current date and time in this format:
2008-04-08-10:45 (YYYY-MM-DD-24hour time)
save the file, naming it rtc.dat An example file is attached.
2) Plug your Cybook to your computer through USB and delete all time bomb ebooks from your library (files initially transferred from your public library).
3) Copy the "rtc.dat" file to the Cybook "/system" folder.
4) Unplug your Cybook.
5) When you are back on the "Library", switch off your Cybook.
6) Switch on your Cybook.
7) Plug the USB cable again and copy your public library titles to the Cybook (or to the SD card) "/eBooks" folder.
8) By the way, you can check that the "rtc.dat" was automatically deleted (i.e. taken into account) from the "/system" folder.
9) Unplug, when you are back on the "Library", you should be able to open the public library titles.

This should be a one time procedure to set your system date which will stay coherent thanks to the internal clock battery. (according to bookeen)

Addendum:
There is a wiki page listing some libraries where you can borrow ebooks; if you know of more libraries, you're welcome and encouraged to add your information to the wiki.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Attached Files
File Type: zip rtc.zip (128 Bytes, 2383 views)

Last edited by cmbs; 04-09-2008 at 12:42 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
I searched the forum and didn't find this even though it was there, so I am just making a post with the instructions right here, hopefully it will be easier for others to find. And now I've copied it to the troubleshooter forum, maybe I should have put it here to begin with.

Problem: your borrowed ebook won't open, you're getting a message "this book is not active yet".

How to set the cybook internal clock so your books will open:

1) In a text editor, create a file with the current date and time in this format:
2008-04-08-10:45 (24hour time)
save the file, naming it rtc.dat
2) Plug your Cybook to your computer through USB and delete all time bomb ebooks from your library (files initially transferred from your public library).
3) Copy the “rtc.dat” file to the Cybook “/system” folder.
4) Unplug your Cybook.
5) When you are back on the “Library”, switch off your Cybook.
6) Switch on your Cybook.
7) Plug the USB cable again and copy your public library titles to the Cybook (or to the SD card) “/eBooks” folder.
8) By the way, you can check that the “rtc.dat” was automatically deleted (i.e. taken into account) from the “/system” folder.
9) Unplug, when you are back on the “Library”, you should be able to open the public library titles.

This should be a one time procedure to set your system date which will stay coherent thanks to the internal clock battery. (according to bookeen)

If you don't mind, I'd like to post this set of instructions to the NAEB website. Would that be okay?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

It came from a forum poster (several actually, because of the additional fact that you have to modify the date), and from bookeen before that. I just slightly clarified. It's ok with me, but I don't have the authority to give permission for everyone. Maybe you could just link them to this post.

Last edited by cmbs; 04-08-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I stickied this thread.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If you don't mind, I'd like to post this set of instructions to the NAEB website. Would that be okay?

Derek
No problem, Derek, posting it to NAEB's website. It is useful information that should be readily and easily available to all Cybook users. Hopefully the thread will become obsolete whenever Bookeen provides the long awaited update.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Hopefully the thread will become obsolete whenever Bookeen provides the long awaited update.
I seem to recall that they told the person who was originally supplied with the instructions that the update would include a UI to set the clock.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I seem to recall that they told the person who was originally supplied with the instructions that the update would include a UI to set the clock.
Yes, that was me, and that is what was implied in their email, so that's why I hope this workaround will be obsolete with the upcoming update.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Julie - I couldn't remember who the original info came from.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
cmbs
non-believer

It says in the first post on this page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=18110&page=2

So bookeen has had this "fixed" since at least January. The fix was to be included in the next update, to be released in the next few weeks.

So the first week of april is at least the third time period they've given for this update.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
So bookeen has had this "fixed" since at least January. The fix was to be included in the next update, to be released in the next few weeks.
It was. That was the v538 update they were talking about, which seems to have been released around mid Jan, although not publicised. The bug was fixed in the v538 build.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was. That was the v538 update they were talking about, which seems to have been released around mid Jan, although not publicised. The bug was fixed in the v538 build.
And yet I bought mine in mid december and it came with the v538 already installed, and of course it doesn't fix the problem. So I'm thinking that they were talking about this update.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
And yet I bought mine in mid december and it came with the v538 already installed, and of course it doesn't fix the problem. So I'm thinking that they were talking about this update.
To clarify: Gen3's started SHIPPING with v538 from some time in December (yours must have been one of the first to have it), but it was only made available as an UPGRADE for older machines from about the end of Jan.

In the older build v476, the real-time clock of the Gen3 didn't preserve the date when the machine was switched off; in v538 it does. What build 538 doesnt have is a user interface to set the date, which is why it has to be done using a file. Once you've set it, though, it should "stay" set, and library books should work OK. The forthcoming update should provide a user interface to set the clock without having to go through all the fuss with the file.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
cmbs
non-believer

So they partly fixed it. Their fix only made it so another required fix would finally work.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's right. The firmware update made the Gen3 store the date, then they came up with the file method of actually setting the date.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
AAL
AAL began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
Hi First time post here..BTW great site and very well informed opinions and view points..truly enjoy the site

My question is with ref to above..Can i use the Sony Reader to read borrowed books from the Los Angeles Public Library system..? or th ebuilt in DRM would prevent that? I think the ebooks from the Public Library are in Adobe PDF. Or shouldI look at Cybook to read borrowed books?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
AAL is offline   Reply With Quote