Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
nyCecilia
Edge User

PocketEdge on Woot

Woot has the PocketEdge for $150, sounds like a pretty good deal if you were considering one. The comments are tearing it to shreds, someone who knows something might go talk about this device.... http://woot.com

Poor man's iPad? Ykes.

Last edited by nyCecilia; 05-04-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
alex_edge
Edge User

Wow, that's awesome it's on Woot! The comments seem so uninformed to me--one guy insists that you'll never actually use two screens at once--and yet, I do that every day!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
JBrondos
Edge User

Yes, I saw all that too ... and I thought I was going to be the first to announce woot.com here, but obviously there are other woot devotees here.

Even if You're not in the market to buy another edge, you should just read the woot article because woot's a hoot!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
maspears
Edge User

Thanks Cecelia for the heads up about woot great price for edge . Called my sister and told her. I thought it was a good price at Amazon when it was $199 and dropped to $195. Almost want another one.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
chaosoverflow
Edge User

I'd been putting off buying one due to the wait for the OS upgrade, then Amazon dropped the price to <$200 and I made grabby hands.. and now Woot dropped the price even further.. and I caved. Sometime next week, I should have my very own black PocketEdge.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Filark
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosoverflow View Post
I'd been putting off buying one due to the wait for the OS upgrade, then Amazon dropped the price to <$200 and I made grabby hands.. and now Woot dropped the price even further.. and I caved. Sometime next week, I should have my very own black PocketEdge.
Welcome, Chaos! (That sounds funny! )

I think you will enjoy your eDGe. I am worried about the people who buy today having never heard of the eDGe before. Will their expectations be realistic? At $149 I don't suppose they can complain, but it seems a shame to force people to decide so quickly, when a few day's research will let them know the many marvelous things the eDGe can do, and the things it can't.

We should see some questions in the next few weeks.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
chaosoverflow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Welcome, Chaos! (That sounds funny! )

I think you will enjoy your eDGe. I am worried about the people who buy today having never heard of the eDGe before. Will their expectations be realistic? At $149 I don't suppose they can complain, but it seems a shame to force people to decide so quickly, when a few day's research will let them know the many marvelous things the eDGe can do, and the things it can't.

We should see some questions in the next few weeks.
The Woot discussion board seems to have a lot of people who are doing research and asking questions on there before they buy, so.. here's to hoping? I've been researching this device for a long time and my only worry was the OS upgrade. I want something for travel and this will be perfect, and for $150, it's comparable to a Sony eReader pocket sized, if a bit bigger. I know I'll probably have a ton of questions after it arrives, but I've also been reading the PE boards so I'm at least aware of some of the things that could happen.

Rumour has it the SDK was released, so here's to hoping for custom ROMs/kernels/etc in the future.

-C

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Glow
Edge User

Two friends of mine ordered these on Woot - couldn't beat the price!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
Filark
Edge User

Wonder how many they sold??

Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
gecko
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Wonder how many they sold??
2473 - the number is on the comments board (can't link directly but you get from here there: http://www.woot.com/forums/ )

Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_edge View Post
-one guy insists that you'll never actually use two screens at once-
What a m*ron.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
guyjack
Edge User

If I buy a PE, will I be able to register it with Entourage and Adobe? I ask that because, when I upgraded my EE to Ermine, my EE is no longer registered. When I try to re-register it, it kicks it back and will not recognize my device. So I am wondering if new buyers will have barely usable PE's due to Entourage's lack of support?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
borisb
Edge User

This deregistration occurred only in the last few days. I was able to use the Store app no problem last week. It clearly has something to do with the website outage that occurred late last week and on the weekend.

If enTourage folds, you won't be able to register it, but it won't matter because registration only affects operations against the enTourage servers.

You will still be able to do the Adobe registration separately, though, by connecting the USB to a PC and using Adobe Digital Editions.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
Filark
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
2473 - the number is on the comments board (can't link directly but you get from here there: http://www.woot.com/forums/ )
Thanks, Gecko! I was watching their percentage statistics all day, didn't see the wrap-up page until you told me! 2473 seems like a lot, but they didn't sell out. What does it mean, what does it mean??

Edit: Just went back and read some of the posts from people who bought ("wooted"?). Many sound like just the kind of people who will enjoy the eDGe and bring some (more) energy to our community.

Last edited by Filark; 05-05-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
netrobot
Edge User

When Woot doesn't sell out, they save the extras for a "Woot Off" -- a day where they sell one thing until it's gone, then move to the next thing (they didn't sell out of before) until IT'S gone, etc. Often the products are even cheaper than they were on their Woot day. Sometimes they get to a POS and everyone cries about it being a "Woot-killer" because it takes a long time to sell out. It's fun, and my smartphone has an app that watches Woot all day long.

No doubt they'll have no problem selling the rest of their Pocket Edges, because satisfied customers often buy more of what they bought before.