Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Louis2625
Louis2625 began at the beginning.

Device: ereader & kindle
conversion

Does anyone know how I convert an Sony ereader to kindle. I downloaded Callibre but can't get it to work
Louis2625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
A Sony ereader will stubbornly stay a Sony. If, on the other hand, you're talking about the files for your reader, that's a DRM issue. Legal considerations keep us from telling you how to remove DRM, but Google is your friend. So is buying from DRM-free booksellers (Baen, O'Reilly, Smashwords, BeWrite, etc.) who will sell you the format you need and let you convert your books into whatever format you want.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
<smartass mode>
I have a brick I would turn into a Kindle but cant afford the shipping...
</smartass mode>

Seriously I think the WorldWalker is right...one easy (and fairly brain-dead) way of sorting out what your reader likes best is to go to Project Gutenberg and downloading various versions of something you like, try them out on your ereader and see which one plays well with others. Yeah they all say that they do PDF, etc but then reality comes crashing down and you either need a jewelers loupe or a billboard to read it (for example). When you find a format you like, then the options in Calibre will make more sense *and* you can determine if your reader doesn't read a certain kind or Calibre is doing a dodgy time of translating the format. Yes I love Calibre too but its not perfect.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Louis2625

If what you are asking is how you can read Kindle books on your Sony, the answer is

"You can't, without stripping the drm. Calibre will not do this."

There are thousands of book here that your Sony will read, already formatted for you.

No need to go to Project Gutenberg or anywhere else for pubic domain books.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Louis2625

There are thousands of book here that your Sony will read, already formatted for you.

No need to go to Project Gutenberg or anywhere else for pubic domain books.....
Aside from the obvious "Where is *here*?" query, the Gutenberg suggestion was just that. Personally, with bad broadband where I used to live, downloading the whole Gutenberg DVD was a good deal (at work, great broadband) and I could read them on any device at any time. Nowadays its less of a value from that perspective in todays "always on" connectivity but still, I don't know of any other place with as much free and well-formatted material so if you wish to post a link to <something> GM, that would be helpful.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
*Here* is our own Patrica Clark Memorial Ebook Library, which you can find be scrolling up to the top of the page, and then, right under the blue D of the MobileRead logo, you will see "E-Books" with a little triangle. Click on that, choose your format, and away you go... You will find much to like.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yep. Just about the best free resource around.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
jeffcobb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
*Here* is our own Patrica Clark Memorial Ebook Library, which you can find be scrolling up to the top of the page, and then, right under the blue D of the MobileRead logo, you will see "E-Books" with a little triangle. Click on that, choose your format, and away you go... You will find much to like.
At the risk of sounding like a heathen, who is Patricia Clark? I will indeed check out that link, even though my personal ebook reading list is already (seemingly) miles deep..
Old 10-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
jeffcobb
Groupie

Interesting. To see what it was about I clicked on the link as suggested, went to my category of choice (epub->science fiction) and clicked on the top title (Something by Poul Andersen (sp)) and got this:
Information

To comply with Canadian copyright laws the file you have requested cannot be served from this server.
This work is in the United States public domain, but may be under copyright in some countries. If you live outside the US, check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this file or these files.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

The file is located at the following US location: http://down.4dots.com/27103/The Burning Bridge - Poul Anderson.epub
-----------------------------
So is this legal (not that I particularly care) or what? What is the legal status of stuff here (there)? I am in the US so it seems legal but whats the mention of Canadian laws for? Is this site hosted there? Is it the poster?

Still it seems like an interesting source, although it has nowhere near the scope of Gutenberg. Still, another source is another source...also, does that subsection have its own search engine? I mean epub is my current format of choice but if thats what I click on, that's all I see and if there is a novel I really like/want, I can easily convert the format. Case in point: Even though I have already read it, as a Browncoat (Firefly fan) the excellent free ebook by Steven Brust (My Kind Of Freedom) would not be in the epub section (think its only PDF, HTML and one other format) and would be something I would like to happen to find. This also leads to the question: can anyone submit/upload to that section?

Last edited by jeffcobb; 10-09-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcobb View Post
At the risk of sounding like a heathen, who is Patricia Clark? I will indeed check out that link, even though my personal ebook reading list is already (seemingly) miles deep..
Patricia was a moderator of this site, and a major contributor to our eBook library, who regretably died a couple of months ago. She will be sadly missed by all who knew her, and the eBook library here at MobileRead has been named in her memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcobb View Post
Interesting. To see what it was about I clicked on the link as suggested, went to my category of choice (epub->science fiction) and clicked on the top title (Something by Poul Andersen (sp)) and got this:
Information

To comply with Canadian copyright laws the file you have requested cannot be served from this server.
This work is in the United States public domain, but may be under copyright in some countries. If you live outside the US, check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this file or these files.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

The file is located at the following US location: http://down.4dots.com/27103/The Burning Bridge - Poul Anderson.epub
-----------------------------
So is this legal (not that I particularly care) or what? What is the legal status of stuff here (there)? I am in the US so it seems legal but whats the mention of Canadian laws for? Is this site hosted there? Is it the poster?

Still it seems like an interesting source, although it has nowhere near the scope of Gutenberg. Still, another source is another source...also, does that subsection have its own search engine? I mean epub is my current format of choice but if thats what I click on, that's all I see and if there is a novel I really like/want, I can easily convert the format. Case in point: Even though I have already read it, as a Browncoat (Firefly fan) the excellent free ebook by Steven Brust (My Kind Of Freedom) would not be in the epub section (think its only PDF, HTML and one other format) and would be something I would like to happen to find. This also leads to the question: can anyone submit/upload to that section?
MobileRead is located in Canada, hence the books located on our server are subject to Canadian copyright law (as the notice states). We also have a file server in the US, for those relatively small number of books which are in the public domain in the US, but not in Canada. The book you have found is such a book.

MR is a strictly "legit" site; we do not encourage or condone piracy, and all our books are hosted entirely legally. However, they may or may not be legal for you to download; it's your responsibility to check whether what you wish to download is in the public domain in your country.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
jeffcobb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Patricia was a moderator of this site, and a major contributor to our eBook library, who regretably died a couple of months ago. She will be sadly missed by all who knew her, and the eBook library here at MobileRead has been named in her memory.
Man I am sorry to hear that. Deepest condolences. RIP Patricia. Deepest respects as well.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
jeffcobb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
MobileRead is located in Canada, hence the books located on our server are subject to Canadian copyright law (as the notice states). We also have a file server in the US, for those relatively small number of books which are in the public domain in the US, but not in Canada. The book you have found is such a book.

MR is a strictly "legit" site; we do not encourage or condone piracy, and all our books are hosted entirely legally. However, they may or may not be legal for you to download; it's your responsibility to check whether what you wish to download is in the public domain in your country.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
Harry;
First, not for a minute was I intimating that MR is a less that legal site; I was simply unclear how closely related the ebook repository was with the "official" MR site. More, even if tightly-linked, since it seemed that some/many of the books were actually links to other sites that you could not be expected to police, I did not know the status of the books being linked to. My remarks about not caring were more of a continued reaction to the stupid things Adobe put me through recently WRT DRM on non-windows platforms. I don't care if Adobe ever makes any money from it which is a long-ways from saying piracy is OK. WRT the links, what I sort of meant was, when you go to say Gutenberg, you know every work on that site is a PD book; when you go to the creative commons site you know what the license is there. I just didn't know what the blanket/official license was here.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No problem. As I say, we're here to help (anyone whose username is displayed in green is a moderator), so don't hesitate to ask if you're ever unsure of anything.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
@jeffcobb

This is truly the friendliest site I have encountered. Flame wars are on the endangered species list and moderators are extremely helpful and encouraging it probably took me less than two weeks to go from newbie to feeling fully integrated. Welcome to MR and please enjoy.

PS. "Rest in peace"? How else do you rest? If you toss and turn it isn't really resting, is it?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote