Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Alan: Post the log from console.app when it crashes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #17
Demonthus
Demonthus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
You are right; if I had read the documentation I could have averted this whole problem.

That being said, I'd suggest a change somewhere so that simply plugging in the ereader could not result in hundreds of collections being generated and books rearranged, regardless of default settings or reader brand.

Anyways it's a great piece of software, and this is was my only complaint up till now.
Demonthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #18
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Smile

Thanks for a bright new release. Calibre is faster than ever.

Just allow me a small question. The three icons in the lower right part of the attachment look a litlle curious, like if they were hiding a motorbike like form. Is this the intended effect ?

Using Ubuntu Lucid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	338
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	52812  
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #19
Alan P.
Alan P. began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Alan: Post the log from console.app when it crashes.
Thanks for the quick response... here's the log from console:

===== Friday, June 4, 2010 10:11:09 PM America/Los_Angeles =====
Python function terminated unexpectedly: dlopen(/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/aem/ae.so, 2): Symbol not found: _kill$UNIX2003
Referenced from: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/aem/ae.so
Expected in: dynamic lookup

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 147, in main
return run_entry_point()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 115, in run_entry_point
pmod = __import__(mod, fromlist=[1], level=0)
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/meta.py", line 11, in <module>
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 12, in <module>
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 433, in <module>
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 25, in <module>
File "site-packages/appscript/__init__.py", line 11, in <module>
File "site-packages/aem/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/aem/ae.so, 2): Symbol not found: _kill$UNIX2003
Referenced from: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/aem/ae.so
Expected in: dynamic lookup

Hope this helps,
Al
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm that's a module used by the iPad driver. I think this problem is specific to PPC. Try deleting the file

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/aem/ae.so
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@roger64: That's a pair of binoculars intended to evoke search, like in the advanced search button.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #22
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Problem With iPad Transfers

I am unable to properly transfer books to the iPad. Calibre does see the iPad OK and will show the iPad's (or iTunes') library contents. When I try to transfer a file it will do three things: First it sends the book to the device, which works with a "Finished" status. Second it puts up a notice that it sends metadata to device (notice has a gear icon) and this just counts up in seconds and never finishes and status remains "working." Below it is another task which also says send metadata to device and it has an hourglass icon and its status remains "Waiting." The book files DOES appear in iTunes and it DOES sync to the iPad if you quit out of Calibre. However, as Calibre says it is still trying to send metadata, to quit Calibre of course warns you that quitting may harm the data on the device as it says it is still communicating. But if you do quit Calibre the book apparently goes to the iPad OK. Still, I don't think having to quit Calibre and go through the warning screen is a-ok?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #23
shamatt
shamatt began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Help!!! I love Calibre, I have been using 0.6.53 version. The new 0.7 looks awesome. I have attempted to update it 2 times now and both times I get an error just before it is finished that "calibre.cab" is corrupt and cannot be used. What can I do?? If I uninstall the version I am currently using, will I lose the 450 books in my library? I really don't want to go through adding allllll of them again, although I will if that is what is necessary to get 0.7.

Thanks!!
shamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #24
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
does it run in a MAC with a 10.4 OS??

I've downloaded it, installed, but it won't start...
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:49 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There's a problem with 0.7 and OS X 10.4, a fixed build will be released in a bit.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #26
Alan P.
Alan P. began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Hmm that's a module used by the iPad driver. I think this problem is specific to PPC. Try deleting the file

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/aem/ae.so
I just tried this, and no change in behavior. Here's the console log:

===== Friday, June 4, 2010 11:07:27 PM America/Los_Angeles =====
Python function terminated unexpectedly: invalid Python installation: unable to open /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 147, in main
return run_entry_point()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 115, in run_entry_point
pmod = __import__(mod, fromlist=[1], level=0)
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/meta.py", line 11, in <module>
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 12, in <module>
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 433, in <module>
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 25, in <module>
File "site-packages/appscript/__init__.py", line 11, in <module>
File "site-packages/aem/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
File "site-packages/aem/ae.py", line 7, in <module>
File "site-packages/aem/ae.py", line 3, in __bootstrap__
File "site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 698, in <module>
File "site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 701, in Environment
File "site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 96, in get_supported_platform
File "site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 222, in get_build_platform
File "lib/python2.6/distutils/util.py", line 97, in get_platform
File "lib/python2.6/distutils/sysconfig.py", line 521, in get_config_vars
File "lib/python2.6/distutils/sysconfig.py", line 378, in _init_posix
distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: invalid Python installation: unable to open /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

Thanks again - A.
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #27
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre Splash screen

I notice that while starting up Calibre now displays a new splash screen (very pretty by the way) that says "Loading Books" at the top. My issue is that as I am running with my books on a NAS that splash screen stays visible for several minutes and no other application can put itself in front off it.

I have a few requess around this splash screen therefore:
- Can it be set so that it is not always in the foreground while Calibre is initialising so I can get one with something else in the meantime.
- Could the Loading message be updated periodically with progress. Ideally if Calibre know how many books are to be loaded it could say "Loading Books (nnnn of mmmm)", although even just the nnnn part would be nice to have. I would at least have some idea of how much longer this phase is going to take.

If you would like me to raise a ticket on this please mention it and I will do so.

In case it matters, this is running on Windows 7 Pro.

Last edited by itimpi; 06-05-2010 at 04:02 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I just uploaded a fixed OS X build. Re-download calibre and it should work on 10.4 again (Note that iPad support in 10.4 had to be disabled).

@itimpi: Progress indication is not possible. Loading books actually means loading the sqlite database which happens opaquely. However, I can probably change it to not be always on top. Open a ticket so I dont forget. You can also disable the splash screen in preferences.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #29
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
I just wanted to thank you.

THANK YOU !!!!!

I have been fighting for the last couple days on how to differenciate the read books from the other on my device. The new custom categories help. Now we just need to be able to use them in the template
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #30
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
@itimpi: Progress indication is not possible. Loading books actually means loading the sqlite database which happens opaquely. However, I can probably change it to not be always on top. Open a ticket so I dont forget. You can also disable the splash screen in preferences.
OK - I will raise a ticket about stopping the dialog from staying in front all the time. However if it is any issue then disabling it in preferences is an acceptable alternative - I had not realised that was possible.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.7.0, calibre, new release