Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Lonnie
Lonnie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Smile Newbie here, mystery author and avid reader

Hello all,

My name is Lonnie Cruse, I live in Metropolis, Illinois, home of the famous Superman statue, and I write a mystery series set here. They are all available on Kindle.

Much as I love to write, I love reading more. I'm looking for mysteries to download to my Kindle, particularly anything free or under five bucks. I'm sooo kicking myself for not downloading DOG ON IT when it was offered for free, sigh. Now I've learned to download just about anything free and delete later if it's not my kind of book. I love cozies, can't read the ultra gory stuff any more.

I'm female, by the way, in case the name confused you. Looking forward to hearing about some great mysteries on Kindle here. Thanks, Lonnie
Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
I went to high school with a girl named Lonnie, so I would have assumed you were female anyway. Doing a Google search though, I do see some famous male Lonnies, so I see why you specified.

Welcome to MobileRead!
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Lonnie, and good luck with your books!

I'm with you on the "cozy mystery" side. Thats why I love Agatha Christies and the like.

There are many other author members also. Check out the "writers corner"

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

and don't forget to download some of the classics we have here for you.......lovingly formatted by our own members.

Enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Hello all,

My name is Lonnie Cruse, I live in Metropolis, Illinois, home of the famous Superman statue, and I write a mystery series set here. They are all available on Kindle.

Much as I love to write, I love reading more. I'm looking for mysteries to download to my Kindle, particularly anything free or under five bucks. I'm sooo kicking myself for not downloading DOG ON IT when it was offered for free, sigh. Now I've learned to download just about anything free and delete later if it's not my kind of book. I love cozies, can't read the ultra gory stuff any more.

I'm female, by the way, in case the name confused you. Looking forward to hearing about some great mysteries on Kindle here. Thanks, Lonnie
Welcome, Lonnie And I think you win the 'coolest named place to live' Award (which I've just invented)

Introduce your mysteries in Writers' Corner and Deals/Freebies too, you never know, you might get some lifelong fans
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I'm looking for mysteries to download to my Kindle, particularly anything free or under five bucks.
Hi Lonnie,

Welcome to Mobileread. There are plenty of free classic (out of copyright) mysteries here at Mobileread - you'll want the Mobipocket format for your Kindle. Check out the E-Books link in the first blue bar above.

As for commercial ones under $5 - hmm..

Well, searching at Fictionwise, there are around 430 items that meet your specifications - Mystery, works with Kindle, under $5. Some of them are short stories rather than novels though. You'll need to do an advanced search at fictionwise to find them all.
http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mwsearch?t=search

You might want a subscription to Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine - $29.97/year (ten issues)
http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=book&bi=1110

It's just above your price range ($5.59), but I highly recommend the Musketeer Mysteries by Sarah D'Almeida (really Sarah Hoyt). Unfortunately, the first isn't available as an ebook, but they're all stand-alone, so you won't be confused jumping in at the second:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JK9BVY/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

I'm with you on the "cozy mystery" side. Thats why I love Agatha Christies and the like.

and don't forget to download some of the classics we have here for you.......lovingly formatted by our own members.

Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Welcome, Lonnie And I think you win the 'coolest named place to live' Award (which I've just invented)

Introduce your mysteries in Writers' Corner and Deals/Freebies too, you never know, you might get some lifelong fans
hi lonnie, excellent advice from previous posters. i love mysteries too so please do tell us more about yours ! are they available anywhere else besides the kindle store (i can't buy from there) ?

there are also a lot of great free mysteries here and on feedbooks, as pdurrant mentioned. there have been several discussions in the reading recommendations forum about mysteries, you might discover some new names (i have ! if you don't know Anna Katharine Green, for instance, you'll find several of her books here and they are excellent).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Lonnie and welcome to MobileRead. Tess Gerritson had a free book (The Surgeon) available for a while back. If it's still a freebie, I though it was a very readable mystery
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Lonnie are your books available as eBooks that we can get someplace (other than Amazon) that would work on a Sony PRS-505 in LRF, or ePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Lonnie

Thanks for the info, Karma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Lonnie

'Preciatae the info, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
Lonnie

Thanks everyone for welcoming me and for the info. Unfortunately, my books are only available right now on Amazon, but I'll see what I can do to change that.

My books in the first series are MURDER IN METROPOLIS, MURDER BEYOND METROPOLIS, MARRIED IN METROPOLIS, and MALICE IN METROPOLIS. All feature Sheriff Joe Dalton, his deputies, and his family. They are light, fun reads. The first as a Kindle is under a buck on Amazon, the others are under five bucks each. The books are also available as paperbacks there.

I have another series, the Kitty Bloodworth/'57 Chevy series. Not available in e-book format, but I'm hoping. Check out my website at: http://www.lonniecruse.com and you'll see pictures of the famous Superman statue in downtown Metropolis, IL and pictures of our neat little town.

Love this site! Lonnie

Last edited by Lonnie; 06-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
we're glad you found it, lonnie. we love it here too.

please let us know when you get some epub versions* of your books available ! they sound like a lot of fun, i'd love to read them.

(or really, any format at all, since i could covert them, as long as they're available outside of the kindle store, where i can't buy them. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote