Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Chose between the following two choices:
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 22 53.66%
Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow by Jerome K. Jerome 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm totally cool with you voting (I vote in the literary polls) but I thought the plan was you don't vote in the polls so you can break ties?

Or is it that you vote in the first poll because ties will both go to run-off, but you don't vote in second poll in case of a tie?...
Well, I got to thinking that there's no need to save my vote to be a tie-breaker in the first vote. If a tie happens in the first vote, we'll just have more than two selections in the run-off poll. I won't be voting in the second poll, however, unless a tie-breaker is needed.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Substitute Confederacy of Dunces for “the one with the obscene title” and my thoughts exactly....
Another hilarious selection. Ignatius J. Reilly is one of the most naturally humorous characters ever created.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I went for The Princess Bride. It really sounds like something special.
I've never read the book (although I've owned a physical copy for years), but I love, love, love the movie and still quote it quite regularly today.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My choice (the one with the obscene title) didn't make the cut. I should have voted for The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith. Then it would have at least made the final vote since it would have tied for second place. That's a very funny book about an inventor who's constantly blowing up his lab, his busybody relatives who all (except for his niece) hate him, and some Greek gods brought to life by SCIENCE and ready to paaaar-tah!
I would have been majorly chuffed if The Night Life of the Gods got into the run-off as that was my vote.

However, Jerome it is.

I would love to read The Princess Bride, but I don't want my wallet to get a look-in for this month. I already purchase Shutter Island and have yet to fit it in.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
My choice (the one with the obscene title) didn't make the cut. I should have voted for The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith. Then it would have at least made the final vote since it would have tied for second place. That's a very funny book about an inventor who's constantly blowing up his lab, his busybody relatives who all (except for his niece) hate him, and some Greek gods brought to life by SCIENCE and ready to paaaar-tah!
It's now on my TBR list.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #21
barncat
barncat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Though I love Jerome and his dog, I have to say that, while The Princess Bride may be the only book Goldman ever wrote that was worth a second look, it is a brilliant lie. Not fiction, but a flat out lie. The movie was nothing. To watch this man set out to break every literary convention and finally fail miserably in the end is an absolute delight. This is a literary work, in spite of its author. So I am voting for it. I have no idea what the above argument is about - but you know, I'm okay with that.
barncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #22
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It now appears to me that if the preliminary vote were held all over again, my nomination The Night Life of the Gods would come in first!

I'll have to nominate it again the next time there is an opportunity.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #23
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
It now appears to me that if the preliminary vote were held all over again, my nomination The Night Life of the Gods would come in first!

I'll have to nominate it again the next time there is an opportunity.
Yeah looks like it, I thought there would be a little more enthusiasm for The Princess Bride since the movie is so awesome.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I voted. I will be please no matter how this goes, but I think I'll be comparing The Princess Bride movie to the book from page one, and the formatting to Three Men in a Boat with the beautiful work of art available here.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #25
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Agreed. It's a gem.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I went for Idle Thoughts for a few reasons. 1) It just sounds like an interesting book to me. 2) It is free (not that it matters to me since I have a paper copy of the Princess Bride). 3) In this case especially, I don't think the book can live up to the movie.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #27
Spacechik
Enthusiast
Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3g WiFi
Princess Bride for me. I loved the movie. Can't wait to read the book.
Spacechik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Well, I got to thinking that there's no need to save my vote to be a tie-breaker in the first vote. If a tie happens in the first vote, we'll just have more than two selections in the run-off poll. I won't be voting in the second poll, however, unless a tie-breaker is needed.
Makes sense!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #29
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The posts seem about evenly split so far so it'll be interesting to see the results to the poll.

Quote:
Yes, this also intrigued me in the description:

Quote:
...the film is only a fraction of the ingenious storytelling...
And it said that it's set in 1941, which is different from the film that's set in the 80's; although that's only a small part of it, it's a noticeable difference.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The Princess Bride is now available at the FLP.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote