Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #46
Douggins
Douggins began at the beginning.

Device: deviced?
Has anyone discovered which words were written by the two translators? (which chapters/books...)

Last edited by Douggins; 11-03-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Douggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #47
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I know I said I'd post something about my thoughts, but I'm now 30% into the book.....so, give me another day or two and I'll have something here.

Don

It's all that family baby stuff that's keeping you from the important things!

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #48
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggins View Post
Has anyone discovered which words were written by the two translators? (which chapters/books...)
Parts 1 and 2 were translated by Jay Rubin and Part 3 was translated by Philip Gabriel. Probably because in some countries (for example, the U.K.), Parts 1 and 2 were published first and Part 3 was published later. This is why you could find Parts 1 and 2 online before the October 25th U.S. publication date for the complete set.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 11-03-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #49
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Parts 1 and 2 were translated by Jay Rubin and Part 3 was translated by Philip Gabriel. Probably because in some countries (for example, the U.K.), Parts 1 and 2 were published first and Part 3 was published later. This is why you could find Parts 1 and 2 online before the October 25th U.S. publication date for the complete set.
I listened to a recent Jay Rubin interview, and he said that the work was split up because it would have taken too long for one person to translate it all. It's too bad, but understandable.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #50
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Spring Snow is one of my all-time favourites; I've read it many, many times and I have been planning on re-reading it after I finish 1Q84. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have!

Where is it this month's literary selection?
This is the thread here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=mishima. Tailor made for you by the sound of it .

Last edited by orlok; 11-03-2011 at 06:55 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
This is the thread here. Tailor made for you by the sound of it .
Bad link.... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=mishima
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #52
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks kenny - don't know what happened but I fixed it now .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #53
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
I bought this a few days ago, and am reading it on an iPad. It's the first of this author's novels that I've read. The writing is astounding, so I guess the translator did a first-class job. I suffer from vertigo, and could hardly get through the first scenes, accompanying the lead character down from the motorway. The description of what happens to her face when she goes from a smile to a grimace was incredibly vivid; I know a young woman who does exactly that. It may take me a long time to finish the book: with writing this good, it's impossible for me to zip through.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #54
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am actually skimming back through 1984 before I start this in earnest. I am vaguely aware that the book is supposed to have something to do with '84, so I thought a re-read for some context would be good.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #55
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am actually skimming back through 1984 before I start this in earnest. I am vaguely aware that the book is supposed to have something to do with '84, so I thought a re-read for some context would be good.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #56
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I've only read WuBC, and only 3/4 of it. While I find it very readable and compelling from chapter to chapter, I have this nagging question in the back of my mind: is this going to come to anything? I'm not expecting any grand revelation, but some kind of payoff or denouement, or at least a discernible whole, as opposed to just a string of odd surrealist going ons that just ends. I'm reluctant to try other Murakamis for the same reason.

Last edited by Barty; 11-05-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #57
kennyc

I've not read much from this author, but I get a bit of the same feeling...lot of flash, lot of sizzle, not sure about the bacon yet.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #58
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I've only read WuBC, and only 3/4 of it. While I find it very readable and compelling from chapter to chapter, I have this nagging question in the back of my mind: is this going to come to anything? I'm not expecting any grand revelation, but some kind of payoff or denouement, or at least a discernible whole, as opposed to just a string of odd surrealist going ons that just ends. I'm reluctant to try other Murakamis for the same reason.
I don't need the book to come to a point. A good read along the way is point enough for me. My life seems pretty pointless to me so I can relate. Just enjoy it.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #59
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I actually have 1Q84 on hold through my library's e-book service. It is on my to read list after Spring Snow (for this months literary book club) and the rest of Mishima's The Sea of Fertility tetralogy. I read this entire set sometime back in college and I am looking forward to reading the complete story once more. I am currently position 6 on the waiting list for 1Q84 so I figure that timing will be about right. This will actually be the first book I've read by Haruki Murakami so these comments are interesting.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #60
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I think that's why he doesn't seem to interest me. I have this need for books to come to something.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote